Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:18 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting SKY Tv in Italy

Depends if your existing LNB is a quad or not, i.e. 4 outputs on it. You need 2 cables for Sky+ or HD+ functionality because there are 2 inbuilt tuners. Without 2 cables you cannot record 1 program and watch another at the same time (unless you get a stacker destacker - this is what I have).

So a Quad LNB can feed 2 x Sky HD+ boxes or 1 x Sky HD+ boxes and 2 standard boxes or 4 standard boxes.

I'm using the Universal Invacom quad-output LNB42 (QDH-031) bought from Satcure.co.uk

Ciao!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Wiffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Duffer,

Tried the software update - no juice. Removing batteries and pressing select for 1 minute was also unsuccessful. Simple bizarre!

About SKY+ ... I only have one Sky outlet at home so the stacker/destacker seems like my best option. Will have a chat with my techie about installing another and running the cables - must be possible.

Just had a look at Satcure - and saw the LNB - will order! Thanks. Meanwhile still trolling eBay for a reasonable SKY+ HD box. Would like to stick with pace but Thomson looks so much better.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:31 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I got the Samsung HD box off Ebay a couple of years ago now. It's the 160GB (320GB hard drive) version but if you do intend on recording a lot of HD stuff you're better off getting the 250GB version (500GB hard drive). Also, the Amstrad version can also support a 2TB hard drive.

I use the stacker destacker because I can only run 1 cable from the roof to my flat so you wouldn't need this is you can physically have more than 1 cable running to your box from the dish.

The Invacom LNB is really great. I purchased it based on recommendations and it doubled my signal quality.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by duffer
I got the Samsung HD box off Ebay a couple of years ago now. It's the 160GB (320GB hard drive) version but if you do intend on recording a lot of HD stuff you're better off getting the 250GB version (500GB hard drive). Also, the Amstrad version can also support a 2TB hard drive.

I use the stacker destacker because I can only run 1 cable from the roof to my flat so you wouldn't need this is you can physically have more than 1 cable running to your box from the dish.

The Invacom LNB is really great. I purchased it based on recommendations and it doubled my signal quality.
I ordered the LNB today - will look into the stacker destacker. I don't think I will do much recording so 160GB is just fine. I was bidding on a box today and eBay ended the item for breach of policy so I'm back to square one.

Managed to solve the problem with the remote and box - box was too close to the TV - apparently the back lighting of LCD TVs interfere with the remote signals. Just need to figure out where to put the box now.

Thanks as always for responding. Will let you know how I get on with HD. More money to pay Murdoch's legal bills!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:29 pm
Pull my finger

Can't remember but are you getting BBC and ITV in Rome and what size dish do you have?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Can't remember but are you getting BBC and ITV in Rome and what size dish do you have?
I get ITV1 via other channels but no BBC (aside from news). I have a 1m dish.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:09 am
Just Joined

stueywood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,
I'm brand new here so forgive if anuy of this seems to have been covered, but i have had a read through the thread and can't quite seem to find what i need.
I've just moved to Italy (Milan) and would love to get UK TV. I'm not to worried about getting the full Sky experience, just BBC/ITV etc.
When I was in the UK I had Sky, but the account is now closed. I have the Sky box with me, and the viewing card, which let me get free to air in the UK. Can i use these to view free to air in Italy? I'm living in a flat in the centre if milan, but not sure how long i will be here. Do i need to get a sat dish? or is there a method of getting these by cable (such as Virgin in the UK)?
I'm also looking to get a package for phone and internet (currently on a TIM Chiavetta) and was thinking about SKY Italia..they seem to have a good package right now. If i take that, would i be able to get any UK channels? Any thoughts about Sky italia?
I'm not techy at all, so forgive the niavity of my questions, but i hope somebody can help.
Thanks!
Cheers!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:08 am
Pull my finger

Hello and welcome,

Depends what you're after, i.e. do you want only English language programming? Then with Sky Italia you can always change the default language to English so you can watch UK and US programs in English.

I do not have Sky Italia but I'm sure somebody here could testify if they still have their BBC channel offering a selection of their best programmes.

If you want just a selection of BBC programmes without Sky Italia, you could get the international iPlayer for your PC for a monthly fee.

Are you after an all in one package? i.e. internet, phone and TV? You could choose either Alice or Fastweb (fibre optic cable). I'm thinking of changing from Alice 7 mega (20 euro pm for internet flat) to the 20 mega Fastweb service. It's a little dearer but so much more faster.

Me personally, I have Sky UK because I prefer the extra British content, i.e. Gold, Dave, Sky Sports, BBC3, Living, Good Food, etc.

To get more British content, you would need either a Satellite dish or view/download programmes on your PC. In Milan, a 100cm dish seems to be sufficient to get the BBC. If your apartment is fed by a communal dish, this would be receiving Sky Italia broadcasting from Hotbird at 13 degrees East. Unfortunately this is not where the BBC is broadcasting from: Astra 2D at 28.2 degrees East.

If you're not sure how long you'll be staying for, then it might not be worth the expense to get a large dish installed. But if you have any further questions feel free to ask away!

Ciao!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Hello and welcome,

Depends what you're after, i.e. do you want only English language programming? Then with Sky Italia you can always change the default language to English so you can watch UK and US programs in English.

I do not have Sky Italia but I'm sure somebody here could testify if they still have their BBC channel offering a selection of their best programmes.

If you want just a selection of BBC programmes without Sky Italia, you could get the international iPlayer for your PC for a monthly fee.

Are you after an all in one package? i.e. internet, phone and TV? You could choose either Alice or Fastweb (fibre optic cable). I'm thinking of changing from Alice 7 mega (20 euro pm for internet flat) to the 20 mega Fastweb service. It's a little dearer but so much more faster.

Me personally, I have Sky UK because I prefer the extra British content, i.e. Gold, Dave, Sky Sports, BBC3, Living, Good Food, etc.

To get more British content, you would need either a Satellite dish or view/download programmes on your PC. In Milan, a 100cm dish seems to be sufficient to get the BBC. If your apartment is fed by a communal dish, this would be receiving Sky Italia broadcasting from Hotbird at 13 degrees East. Unfortunately this is not where the BBC is broadcasting from: Astra 2D at 28.2 degrees East.

If you're not sure how long you'll be staying for, then it might not be worth the expense to get a large dish installed. But if you have any further questions feel free to ask away!

Ciao!
Hey Duffer,
thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I'll have a look into all of the ideas and try making some choices.I will be needing a package i think, and i noticed that Sky/Fastweb are collaborating on an all in one, so might give that a look. I think the important thing from our point of view is English Language programming, rather than specific channels (although the better half MUST have Greys Anatomy and Vampire Diaries!) so the idea of watching programmes via Sky in original language sounds like a way to go.
Just as a thought, is my Sky HD decoder from the UK any use without a contract from them?
Also, from experience, is it the same deal as in the UK, that if you take a contract, and move address, you can just call up and they will move you to your new address?
Cheers again!
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:19 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Sky Italia no longer has the BBC Entertainment channel, but the vast majority of their programmes have language options. You can move your Sky contract with you around Italy.

Note that, if you live in a block of flats, you may not be allowed to put up an additional or large Sat dish. Always check with the building manager.

Digital TVs also have the language options, but not all programmes are available in dual language.

Before signing up for a telephone plan, check with the neighbours to see what you can actually get. In our street the most you can get is 7mega and Alice is the only one that seems to have only a few problems.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 3:14 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by stueywood
Hey Duffer,
thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I'll have a look into all of the ideas and try making some choices.I will be needing a package i think, and i noticed that Sky/Fastweb are collaborating on an all in one, so might give that a look. I think the important thing from our point of view is English Language programming, rather than specific channels (although the better half MUST have Greys Anatomy and Vampire Diaries!) so the idea of watching programmes via Sky in original language sounds like a way to go.
Just as a thought, is my Sky HD decoder from the UK any use without a contract from them?
Also, from experience, is it the same deal as in the UK, that if you take a contract, and move address, you can just call up and they will move you to your new address?
Cheers again!
You can use your Sky UK HD box to watch free to air channels like the BBC, ITV (unencrypted) and if you still have it, the old viewing card to watch free to view channels (encrypted) like 5 USA, 5* and certain regions of C5 and ITV. Of course you would need the dish pointing in the correct direction.

If getting a dish weren't a problem, then you could also sign up to Sky UK, giving a UK address. You need to state that you already have the equipment. And never tell them you intend to use it outside of the UK. That way you'll have UK TV just like you used to have in the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks 37100 and Duffer, good food for thought, your time and thoughts much appreciated.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

MattinMilan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

had a couple of questions having read through here a bit. I'm moving to milan in a few weeks and want to get a dish installed at our place in Milan so i can install 2 of my sky+ boxes there.

1. Using Sky Multiroom - I'm keeping my UK sky account and just adding 2 multiroom cards to take over - will this work? I read somewhere that multiroom boxes need to be plugged into a phone line, although I dont see why that would be.

2. Dish size for Milan - I know in general, the bigger the dish the better, but don't want a giant dish on the side of the house if i can avoid it. Do i really need a 1.2m dish to get BBC, ITV, C4, etc, in milan or can i get away with something smaller? (I think i've worked out through dish pointer website i'll need it on a side of the house that isnt too visible, so it's not the end of the world if i do have to go giant..)

3. Buy in Italy or UK - My girlfriend is italian, so i'm thinking of (once i've confirmed all the equipment i need, e.g. dish, Invacom quad LNB, etc) buying the stuff out in italy as i can get her to translate. Will shopping around a little get us prices similar to the UK? It's going to cost us a bit to bring it all over from the UK I figured it would be much easier to buy the stuff in italy.

4. Installers - Does anyone know a good place to buy equipment and/or installers in Milan? Any idea what ballpark cost installation will cost? Was hoping i can get a better overall deal if i buy the equipment and get it installed from the same company.

Any help with any of the above qus much appreciated!

Cheers
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:28 am
Pull my finger

Hello, good questions, let me see if I can help ...
Originally Posted by MattinMilan
hi,

had a couple of questions having read through here a bit. I'm moving to milan in a few weeks and want to get a dish installed at our place in Milan so i can install 2 of my sky+ boxes there.

1. Using Sky Multiroom - I'm keeping my UK sky account and just adding 2 multiroom cards to take over - will this work? I read somewhere that multiroom boxes need to be plugged into a phone line, although I dont see why that would be.

Multiroom boxes must always be connected to THE SAME PHONELINE. The boxes regularly phone 'home' to Sky. So if Sky do not get this callback, they will send you letters and after a couple of months your multiroom subscription will be cancelled and they will bill you the standard price for your package. Otherwise every Tom, Dick and Harry will take out a multiroom subscription for their mate Bertie and his friends. So the answer is it will work for a couple of months. And then full price after that.

2. Dish size for Milan - I know in general, the bigger the dish the better, but don't want a giant dish on the side of the house if i can avoid it. Do i really need a 1.2m dish to get BBC, ITV, C4, etc, in milan or can i get away with something smaller? (I think i've worked out through dish pointer website i'll need it on a side of the house that isnt too visible, so it's not the end of the world if i do have to go giant..)

Really depends where you are in Milan, the more north-west the better. I'm in NE Italy and for 24/7 coverage I upgraded from 90cm to 120cm dish. With the 90cm dish I was losing the channels broadcast from Astra 2D (weak signal in Italy), i.e. BBC, ITV, C4, etc. in the evenings - basically the only time I could watch it - so I didn't risk getting a 100cm dish. However, 100cm could be sufficient for you. You could even make do with an 80cm standard dish but there is the risk that some channels wouldn't be visible. The subscription channels on the other hand, e.g. Sky TV are mainly broadcast from Astra 2B (much stronger signal in northern Italy than Astra 2D) so these should be visible at all times. There is no accurate way of telling unfortunately which would be sufficient. Perhaps you could borrow or rent an 80cm dish?

3. Buy in Italy or UK - My girlfriend is italian, so i'm thinking of (once i've confirmed all the equipment i need, e.g. dish, Invacom quad LNB, etc) buying the stuff out in italy as i can get her to translate. Will shopping around a little get us prices similar to the UK? It's going to cost us a bit to bring it all over from the UK I figured it would be much easier to buy the stuff in italy.

Have no idea what the prices are in the UK or Italy. I wanted UK TV! Easier to get the dish in Italy and installed by the supplier. The prices quoted to me seemed reasonable. I went to one guy only recommended thru word of mouth, who was local to me and had also installed several (Italian) homes on our street. Sky+ and HD+ were shipped from the UK. Invacom LNB bought from Satcure on the internet. I don't even remember how much I paid for the actual dish and installation though, I wrote it somewhere on this thread but I estimate it was around 400 Euro: this was for installing a 90cm dish, then replacing the cabling for high quality German cables to improve signal strength, then upgrading the 90cm for a 120cm dish and installing a strong mast on the roof strong enough for the larger dish.

4. Installers - Does anyone know a good place to buy equipment and/or installers in Milan? Any idea what ballpark cost installation will cost? Was hoping i can get a better overall deal if i buy the equipment and get it installed from the same company.

I think you'd get better (aftersales) service if the installer supplies the dish. Also you being in Milan, it might be easier to find someone who has experience of expat installations. Try www.antennista.it for a list of local satguys.

Any help with any of the above qus much appreciated!

Cheers
Ciao!

Last edited by duffer; Aug 31st 2011 at 8:33 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

MattinMilan is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks duffer, appreciate all the insight!

We're prepared to pay the extra cost of the additional full package anyway, but had a question:

could i use the additional multiroom card they send me in my uk sky box (which is connected to a phoneline), and take the card i've had for years over to italy? Thought this might avoid them charging me the full package after the 3 months expire..

Or will they be sending callback requests to both cards/boxes? Guessing they probably will, otherwise it would be quite easy to get around their policy.

Think i'll go for the 1.2m dish, and try and source everything in italy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.