Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by bethgroove
Thank you for your replies guys! I hope I can find great wines in Koper when I move in. Fingers Crossed!
They taste better in Capo d'Istria.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

That's certainly an excellent wine-growing area. Refosco (or Refosk) is a good one.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

"Foro cieco" anyone? We're talking threaded holes "senza uscita" in metal pieces .

Is 'blind holes' the accepted technical English term?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
"Foro cieco" anyone? We're talking threaded holes "senza uscita" in metal pieces .

are you sure this was meant to go on this thread ? Have you been drinking early in the morning ?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:52 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

it is "threaded holes" for me, produced by tapping

PS why is this in food not language

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Oct 16th 2013 at 8:53 am. Reason: Think Hadenough may be right, put down the vino
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
are you sure this was meant to go on this thread ? Have you been drinking early in the morning ?
I sort of wish I had that as an excuse...but I haven't ..

and I'm sure I remebered to take my pills this morning.

Um...blind holes in doughnuts anyone?

(Lorna, please move me to Talk the Talk..I'll go for a lie-down)
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Serrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond reputeSerrano has a reputation beyond repute

It's absolutely the right term Mark. For my money without 'threaded' because that's not what the original says.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Serrano
It's absolutely the right term Mark. For my money without 'threaded' because that's not what the original says.
Thanks - yes I found it as such in the end.

Sorry, but I don't have any food tips
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,i saw a bread maker today in media world,anyone know what sort of flour i can get over here to get anything like english type bread,cheers brian,ps im a plumber not a baker.

Last edited by BRIAN 1; Oct 19th 2013 at 1:27 pm. Reason: wrong here
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Ruby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond reputeRuby2 has a reputation beyond repute

hi Brian

OH makes bread here in Italy and recommends you use strong white flour. The best is American Manitoba flour. (Italian flours tend to be softer and weaker.)
The one we get is called 'Farina d'America -Manitoba' and the brand is 'Molino Spadoni'. I think you can get it from other supermarkets too. Most also sell packets of live yeast in the refrigerated section.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ruby2
hi Brian

OH makes bread here in Italy and recommends you use strong white flour. The best is American Manitoba flour. (Italian flours tend to be softer and weaker.)
The one we get is called 'Farina d'America -Manitoba' and the brand is 'Molino Spadoni'. I think you can get it from other supermarkets too. Most also sell packets of live yeast in the refrigerated section.
Yes, I use Manitoba flour. It rises better and makes a nice bread that stays soft for a few days.
By the way, I find dried yeast just as good as fresh yeast and cheaper. Lidl sells it at a good price.
I've also tried my hand at sourdough bread, with durum wheat (grano duro) flour and using fermented flour instead of yeast. I had some success when I got a good culture going, which you can use from week to week like yogurt, but after stopping for a few months and then trying again I couldn't get a good culture.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonwel
Yes, I use Manitoba flour. It rises better and makes a nice bread that stays soft for a few days.
By the way, I find dried yeast just as good as fresh yeast and cheaper. Lidl sells it at a good price.
I've also tried my hand at sourdough bread, with durum wheat (grano duro) flour and using fermented flour instead of yeast. I had some success when I got a good culture going, which you can use from week to week like yogurt, but after stopping for a few months and then trying again I couldn't get a good culture.
Hats off to you jonwel - I saw this done on the bbc this weekend and it looked really hard and fussy to do sourdough !
Does anyone know if you can get filo pastry here - is Pasta brisee the same thing ?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:25 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Hats off to you jonwel - I saw this done on the bbc this weekend and it looked really hard and fussy to do sourdough !
Does anyone know if you can get filo pastry here - is Pasta brisee the same thing ?
I've seen it in frozen, Patty. Pasta Fillo. Never used it though.

A few months ago, someone passed a recipe on to me for pastry. I was sceptical at first, but it was a success. I've always struggled with pastry in the summer and the ready made one's here are revolting so I'm passing this all round recipe on.

125gr of FROZEN butter.
125gr of plain flour.
A few tablespoons of cold water

Blitz the butter and flour, slowly add enough cold water to make it all stick together. Fish out and pat very lightly with flour. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest c.a.20 mins. Use as needed or freeze for later use.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

BRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond reputeBRIAN 1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi,what is the equivelent of plain flour over here.we got pasta scoglia from lidl which is puff pastry,turned out pretty good.lidl catanzaro just opened a brand new bakery jam doughnuts and different rolls including granary fantastic,cheers brian.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRIAN 1
hi,what is the equivalent of plain flour over here.we got pasta scoglia from lidl which is puff pastry,turned out pretty good.lidl catanzaro just opened a brand new bakery jam doughnuts and different rolls including granary fantastic,cheers brian.
Plain flour is either 00 for biscuits/cakes or grano duro for bread.
Some flour for cakes contains raising agent, usually the farina magica.

I recently got farina di grano saraceno( buckweat flour) and made irish soda bread with a mix of brown flour, buckweat and oatmeal with buttermilk, it was delicious, the kids loved it.

Our local LIDL has a great in-store bakery and I love the German style breads with pumpkin seeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.