Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Old Oct 25th 2013, 9:12 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Patty
thanks guys Not sure where there is a Metro in Turin but I'll find it.

I used my last packet of M&S crumpets today now I'll have to learn how to make them !)
Patty - have you seen that the Italians are going to do a version of The Great British Bake Off?

Starts in November on the Real Time channel.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Comfort Zone. Favourite food, drinks, where to buy, and recipes.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Patty - have you seen that the Italians are going to do a version of The Great British Bake Off?

Starts in November on the Real Time channel.
Yes I saw the adverts for it Lorna - I just dont think that they will do it as well as the British version (but then I'm biased)
I watched all this series and I loved it. I was glad that Frances won.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough

Moving out to Umbria next year. I'm a coeliac and wondered about the availability of gluten free foods in shops. We were recently in Castel RIgone and the village shop there had pasta and flour but can't remember seeing anything in the local Co-op. I did have a lovely gf seafood spaghetti in Castiglione del Lago though and a gf pizza in San Remo.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:59 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fliss59
Moving out to Umbria next year. I'm a coeliac and wondered about the availability of gluten free foods in shops. We were recently in Castel RIgone and the village shop there had pasta and flour but can't remember seeing anything in the local Co-op. I did have a lovely gf seafood spaghetti in Castiglione del Lago though and a gf pizza in San Remo.
I live in a small place and see lots of GF products about these days. The chemist sells some. The Co-Op has its own range (not massive though). Bread shops have gf bread and quite a few pizzerias do gf pizza. Not the cheapest of products though.
Registered Italian coeliac's get a certain amount of free Kg of products. I think it works like coupons which you exchange for products in the chemist ... not sure about that though.

Italy has a coeliac association and here's their website which is worth a look:

http://www.celiachia.it/home/HomePage.aspx
Old Oct 26th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

fliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the roughfliss59 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info and the link. I can get products on prescription in UK but I tend to buy from the supermarket instead.
Old Nov 10th 2013, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Robinsnest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenny g
Good morning to you all!! I would like some food shopping shipped over in time for xmas..does anyone know of a company that will deliver here, without charging the earth. Any replies much appreciated!!
www. amanzon.co.uk great shopping they send almost anything and postal rates are good
Old Nov 11th 2013, 10:29 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robinsnest
www. amanzon.co.uk great shopping they send almost anything and postal rates are good
Are you sure they ship grocery items outside the UK? Didn't use to be the case.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Robinsnest is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they do send most items but you must make sure that you select Amazon.co.UK as the seller. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:18 am
Just Joined

FirenzeMandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, regarding Amazon, how does the postal system work in Italy. I am in Firenze and if I ordered a box of stuff and out at work what happens to the parcel? Is it like uk and you go and pick it up after card left at apartment? Thanks for any info?

Sorry my questions may seem daft but UK just started work in Florence with a whole workforce speaking Italian so its hard to ask. Thanks everyone
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes, they should leave a card in your letterbox and you can phone them up and arrange delivery another day.

One of the couriers also calls me on the phone when I am not at home and I call them back and arrange a delivery the same day if he is still in my area.

Regarding Amazon food shopping, I tried to order several food types for Christmas, but it was expensive and I only ordered pecan nuts that came in a box with several packets.
Made a great pecan pie and have still left for other puds.

Oh, I found some interesting items in the big Auchan in Porta di Roma, such as chilled Turkish filo an pie pastry, Turkish halva, Sol-Mexican beer and Mythos-Greek beer.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:40 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Isakat, did you use corn syrup for the pecan pie and if so, where did you get it?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Isakat, did you use corn syrup for the pecan pie and if so, where did you get it?
Nope, no corn syrup in my recipe, although you can find it here in Castroni.

I will send you the recipe if you want.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:40 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Isakat
Nope, no corn syrup in my recipe, although you can find it here in Castroni.

I will send you the recipe if you want.
Yes please! I have never made it but it is always one of my favourite cakes. Perfect with a big mug of coffee (from a 6 Cup Moka coffee maker).
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes please! I have never made it but it is always one of my favourite cakes. Perfect with a big mug of coffee (from a 6 Cup Moka coffee maker).
Not anymore, have a mug now from a 3-cup moka maker! And I bloody need it with waking up at 6.30 am every morning!

Will pm you the recipe-are you good at making cakes?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

He's good at stirring things up ! I too would like the recipe please !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.