Don't bother with the Student visa!

Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: Don't bother with the Student visa!

Originally Posted by shark bait
I,m starting the horticulture course in Jan.
love the great outdoors.
better than being couped up in an office or warehouse!
Being 40 is not a problem .
that when life begins isn't it.
Yes very true, we were just a bit worried that when it came to applying for PR he would struggle on the points! also the thought for him of returning to 'school' frightens him to death!

But what with all the changes that the TRA are bringing in with the 900hrs having to be paid we are thinking that doing the horticulture course is likely to be easier to get the paid work experience attached?

hairdressing salons are happy to give you the work experience but not so happy to pay!

We are wating to sell our house at the moment so haven't enrolled yet. i think we'll speak to stefan at study options and get his opinion tomorrow.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jumpy will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't say to anyone not to go for it,but it's expensive,and there could be more changes.eveyone makes their own decisions.We have 2 young kids ,so school fees,trying to work around school times etc is difficult.If only 2 of you,should be a lot easier.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jumpy
I wouldn't say to anyone not to go for it,but it's expensive,and there could be more changes.eveyone makes their own decisions.We have 2 young kids ,so school fees,trying to work around school times etc is difficult.If only 2 of you,should be a lot easier.
Unfortunately there are 4 of us! We have 2 kids in tow too! thats why we desperately want to make the right decsion. I've heard that its very difficult to get 'paid' work experience in a hairdressers unless you're qualified? that's why i'm wondering whether it's better that hubby does the horticulture course instead of me doing the hairdresing. That way the job is still on the MODL and we have gained points by it being in a regional area for study. Eventhough he is older we will have lost points from that prospective we won't be much worse off because we'll be regional.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:19 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I can highly recommend the student to PR route - if you have no other choice. Yes, it's expensive and hard work but so worth it. I don't want to be anywhere else!

I suggest considering a non-trade route (nursing maybe) if you are worried about the TRA route. Nursing is unlikely to go off the MODL and will pay better in the long term than hairdressing.

Good luck all!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Some people we know are getting paid for their hours in Hairdressing,but not much,most of them are doing work experience unpaid.It is just difficult,you have to be lucky with a salon. Don't know much about Horticulture course or work in this field,but I'am sure someone does.It is all a big chance we are all taking,but if it's your only chance you have to take it.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Tried to depress me earlier too, don't let them!

Go for it mate...... as i said before those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves always spoil it for others.

If it's what you want, go for it.
Strange that its ''those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves'' who are saying to think twice about a student visa eh?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sambo76
Strange that its ''those you don't have the guts to do it for themsleves'' who are saying to think twice about a student visa eh?

you seem to be the only one putting a spanner in the works and making people feel that its not worth it. there are some on here that are about to give up eveything they've ever worked for. A little support goes a long way
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pleas don't squabble over it guys - from long experience on here it's clear that the student route works for some but not for others. Costs can vary tremendously depending on wwhether you bring kids with you, and on what State you go to.
Anyone who has followed Paul & Nic's story over the years will have read about just how hard it can be, and it sounds like that's what Sambo is trying to say. Anyone following the student route needs to think very very hard before doing it, especially as it now harder to get PR from it.

I'm not saying "don't do it" but please do the research thoroughly first!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

you seem to be the only one putting a spanner in the works and making people feel that its not worth it. there are some on here that are about to give up eveything they've ever worked for. A little support goes a long way
We totally understand that people are willing to tgive up everything, apologies if it doesn't seem that way; we have done it already so believe me, we know! However, this is how it stands:
You need 900 hours experience during the course to satisfy the TRA, as currently there isn't a visa you can transfer onto afterwards to do so. In most trades the individual may find it hard to gain the right kind of experience as they are not yet qualified. The TRA are looking very carefully at the specific roles undertaken during the 900 to ensure they are relevant; it will be very difficult and in some trades impossible, to gain the experience in these circumstance as the indiviudals will be unlicenced/unqualified and therefore most employers won't/couldn't offer the placements.

If people are looking to study in a regional location to gain the extra points, think of the competition the new ruling will create for the work experience options. Every international student on every trade course will be seeking employment and the work just won't be there; there are currently about half a million overseas students enrolling on courses every year.

Most employers offering work experience to students will not be giving them the same work as would if they were qualified in that field (in most cases doing so would breach upteen workplace laws) and so will the TRA still accept this as experience???

Our opinion is from another perspective as we are here on a student visa, and could well be affected by these changes (although we luckily have other options). However if your dream is to live in Oz, and not to become an international student; this option a a MASSIVE risk, not just to getting PR but to losing a sizeable portion of your savings or more. I would strongly recommend considering other options of getting here if DIAC don't unveil a visa option to allow post study work experience. There are so many people we know that are now having to face the very real possibility of returning to the UK with nothing apart from a qualification in something they don't necessarily want to do. They have lost homes and savings by taking the risk, and believe me if you asked them if they thought is was worth the risk, they would agree with us. These people were you and me a couple of years ago, and could be you in the future.

I'm more than aware that people are willing to give up everything they've ever worked for, hence the need for the eye opener. The visas and TRA have changed twice since we've been here, and so assessing a move to Oz on the current DIAC/TRA requirements is pointless, it will change again before you apply, perhaps in your favour, perhaps not.

I hope this helps as we have seen the reality of the these TRA changes first hand; you could lose everything and be back in the UK in two years.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather loose everything (which realisticly we are NOWHERE near as there are only two of us and we are both working which is covering all bills and treats) and have to go back to the UK knowing I tried eveything I could to get here, rather than wonder in years time what could have been.

And the regional bit and fighting for jobs, here in Adealide there are a grand total of 15 of us doing horticulture. Not too much competition (although they are advertising more courses, so in the future who knows).
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes i know what you're saying. But when you read 'don't do it' at 1am in the morning when you're selling your house, have sold your business, your kids are looking forward to a new life in Oz and everything else, its like being punched in the face!

I'm sure the 'others' will stick up for me and say we don't mind the negatives being put across and you stating whats what but saying 'don't do it' and 'its not worth it' just makes our stomachs sink.

I think i slept about 3 or 4 hrs last night worrying about what to do. I'm sure i'd be better not even reading half of this stuff. What do people do who don't know about this site? I'm sure they go and just get on with it! they don't have half the sleepless nights i do im sure!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I think i slept about 3 or 4 hrs last night worrying about what to do. I'm sure i'd be better not even reading half of this stuff. What do people do who don't know about this site? I'm sure they go and just get on with it! they don't have half the sleepless nights i do im sure!

You're probably right, but most of the people we know who are now 'up the creek' as it stands didn't research on sites like this etc, so even coming armed with both sides of the story is an asset. The sad fact is, things have changed since a lot of people decided to try this route, and now everyone needs to look at their own individual situation and see if it is still a viable option. I would say if you were in Pumpkin Blossom's position, then yes it is. She has plenty of cash to support her, no kids to worry about, and chose the only capital that is also classed as regional and a course with low student numbers. I can tell you of ten negative stories I have heard however to every positive since the unveiling of the Sept 1st changes. Fingers crossed DIAC change the visa policy in line with TRA requirements and sort this shit out! I'm sure something will happen as income from internatioanl students is in the billions per annum here; they'd be mad to risk that wouldn't they?
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Yes i know what you're saying. But when you read 'don't do it' at 1am in the morning when you're selling your house, have sold your business, your kids are looking forward to a new life in Oz and everything else, its like being punched in the face!

I'm sure the 'others' will stick up for me and say we don't mind the negatives being put across and you stating whats what but saying 'don't do it' and 'its not worth it' just makes our stomachs sink.

Well said Becks
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:49 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

also the thought for him of returning to 'school' frightens him to death!
I left school at 15, and returned at 36 ...

Tell him not to worry, it's not that bad ...

Originally Posted by tking
I can highly recommend the student to PR route - if you have no other choice. Yes, it's expensive and hard work but so worth it. I don't want to be anywhere else!

I suggest considering a non-trade route (nursing maybe) if you are worried about the TRA route. Nursing is unlikely to go off the MODL and will pay better in the long term than hairdressing.

Good luck all!
Ditto all of this, and coming from someone who's been through it all!

Don't get me wrong, it was probably the most stressful thing we've both been through, but as it was our ONLY chance we was happy to throw every penny at getting PR in Australia. We was skint well before the end of my course, but we got there all the same ...

If I was to do it again I too think I'd look for something that the TRA didn't assess. Nursing has been mentioned, and I'd seriously consider that over hairdressing with the current state of play ...

I've said many a time on here that if we was unlucky enough to fail, then at least we had 2 years plus in this lovely country, and gave it our best shot!

We took our 2 teenage kids out of a very good UK school and even bought the dog!

If like us it's your only shot at PR in Australia, and you want it bad enough! ... then you GOTTA give it a go!

One thing I WILL say. ANYONE who gets their PR through study, will appreciate it soooo much more over the rest as you'll know you have earned it!

Good luck all.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

We also know a lot of people really worried about the changes,as we are,lucky that my wife can get her 900hrs by the middle of Aug,and get it lodged with the tra as soon as possible.They are still taking applications under the old system untill the end of Aug.Just hope she gets a positive reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.