business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:29 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by foxychic
Out of interest, and maybe of some help to those starting on the process I have some questions:

1. who stuck with a similar business to their UK one?
2. Who started from scratch, who bought a business?
3. Is it going as expected - turnover wise etc?
4. Was it harder than expected - the whole process for an Oz business`?
5. Are you finding it easy to meet the criteria for PR?
6. Has your way of life improved?
7. Are you in Oz for good?

We have been in SE Qld since October 2005 eventually buying a business and settling on the Gold Coast.

1. We owned a retail business in Bournemouth for 18 years, looked at other types of retail outlets but settled for 'the devil you know' eventually.

2. In the newsagency business all agents have territories so all are established businesses if any new newsagents or other store such as supermarkets open in my territory they are 'sub agents ' of mine with me supplying them (and taking a cut of their profits). With this in mind the only way to make money is buy an 'A' grade newsagency (one with a territory)

3. We were lucky and found a business that the vendor wanted out of, he did not know what he was doing and the business needed someone with experience. We have increased turnover, profit margin, and footfall by over 15% since taking over.

4. Suppliers love forms! I lost count of the amount of application forms that had to be submitted at first but once a contract is given its pretty much plain sailing. One of the major publishers have a clause in their contracts stating a 'Certificate 4 in retail management' is a pre requisite for supply which I had to get (5 day course, $1500).

5. I dont think the criteria is a problem for us. We are employing plenty and the turnover and assets dont seem too much. At the moment we work about 4 days a week which is very civilised but the staff are costing about 80K a year in wages, super etc. Our dilemma will be when we get PR do we let some staff go, increase the profits but work more hours or keep the staff & enjoy the lifestyle?

6. YES

7. Never say never but we are all very settled, with a good social life - I see no attraction in returning at all.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:05 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Our other news is our Aussie surprise has arrived, 3 weeks ago, Holly came into the world, and she really is beautiful (OK, I am a bit biased!) she has changed already, but hopefully, if I have the hang of it, there should be a photo of her below.

Foxy

Edit: Yay it worked - you can see she has my chin(s)!! fat faced little monkey!
Foxy, she's GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Just wish I could pop round for a cuddle - have serious baby withdrawal at the moment - all stems from a TV advert for photography mentioning about children under 4 and realised for the first time in 10 years that I don't have a child under 4!!!!!

OH has stated 'over his dead body' and I wouldn't want any more..... but oh, for a cuddle of someone else's

Holly is a lovely name. Her 'chins' are beautiful and if she needs a chaperone in WA - I'm your gal.

Well done Foxy family!

Jules xxxxxx
Old Jun 6th 2008, 11:15 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

OK - here's ours:

1. Exactly the same business model as we had in the UK - working from home and we got dealerships for the two same products we were selling in the UK (to start with).
2. We started from scratch. Boy, how hard is that? No established business. No current footfall. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
3. It's going better than expected turnover wise. We've got some stonking clients on board - major players - new products to sell too.
4. Hell yeah! Nightmare at times! Starting from scratch in a foreign country is not for the feint hearted. Having said that, building didn't help and three kids add to the pressure. In hindsight, perhaps we bit off more than we could chew, but in years to come, I'm sure we'll be smiling.
5. Touch wood, yes. Application is in for sponsorship.
6. ummmmm. We spend more time as a family (lack of friends ). Weekends are spent as a family on the boat, or at son's footy...etc. Now we have a pool for the summer, I'm sure we'll be housebound more
7. Ask me another. For the time being yes. For the rest of our lives? Don't know.

Can I also add an 8 to promote our businesses? add a website addresss / details of business.

www.gettracking.com.au
www.securityalarmsperth.com.au
www.affinity-one.com.au

Love to everyone

jules x
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:10 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Ooer...

1 - Completely different. Used to have a transport business in the UK, Air Conditioning now.
2 - Bought it. Looked at lots of things, settled on this one.
3 - Better, if I'm honest. I thought there would be a significant dip as I tried to get to grips with it and that we'd slow out of summer. In fact we're flat out but I can't find any more staff...
4 - Yes...! Bloody licensing rubbish...:curse: And the lack of mandatory financial reporting...
5 - Yes.
6 - Hmm, not yet that's for sure. But then I had a lot more staff in the UK and effectively only worked whatever hours I wanted to; now it's 12 hours a day Mon-Fri plus at least Saturday morning... However, I'm hopeful for the future...
7 - I enjoy living here, that's for sure, and currently have no intention of going anywhere else. However, I might have got this moving countries bug...
Old Jun 7th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by julesandco
Hi Steve,

Would you believe we had the blooming thing planted in November, we had hand over last week; the guys are here at the moment putting the solar on the roof. We've got no blanket yet (our fault as we're never ready) and the paver's just finishing!

It might just be ready for next summer

Have you just sold the pool or did they get a 'free' house? Where are you moving to?

Will have to see Kev now and buy some pool toys

Jules x
Hi,
We are moving to Hillarys, it has a concrete pool, needs a little work but it's a great house, I will post some pics when we get in in July.
When you are ready for the blanket I will sort you out nice and cheap!
Steve
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steveyp
Hi,
We are moving to Hillarys, it has a concrete pool, needs a little work but it's a great house, I will post some pics when we get in in July.
When you are ready for the blanket I will sort you out nice and cheap!
Steve
Congratulations Steve,

Bryan & Joyce
Old Jun 7th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

1 - Totally different but business is business
2 - Set it up with a friend who was already here - ie before we arrived
3 - There seems huge scope for businesses here - maybe it's a WA thing.
4 - Red tape red tape red tape - taxes taxes taxes
5 - Yes.
6 - Own business = lots of work - in my mind
7 - Very happy here but who knows where we might go in the future - we would like to get closer to a proper ski resort - so maybe NZ

great idea this - everyone who gets here seems happy - so well done and good luck

Bryan
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:42 pm
J-T
Just Joined

J-T is an unknown quantity at this point

How are the rest of you old timers going? Out of interest, and maybe of some help to those starting on the process I have some questions:

Hi Foxychic, what fantastic questions? Wish I could join in, but hey I'm still in the UK, maybe I can add to this if the thread is still going by the time I get to Oz!!!

Very interesting reading how everyone is doing!

Holly is gorgeous!! Takes me back to when I had my little uns!!! Would love another, but only on a part-time basis! (Can't cope with more than 4 kids!!!!) phhheeww!!

Tracey
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Goldie b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
I am moving to perth next year on 160 visa deadline 18APR 2009.
Just one question that how much you have to put down to get loan on leasehold & freehold business premises.
Any information welcome

Thanks
Goldie
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goldie b
Hi Everyone
I am moving to perth next year on 160 visa deadline 18APR 2009.
Just one question that how much you have to put down to get loan on leasehold & freehold business premises.
Any information welcome

Thanks
Goldie
Good luck Goldie,

max loan on commercial properties is 80% - well that's what we had to endure. Plenty of units to rent though, depending on where you want to be.

Cheers

Bryan
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi BM
Thanks for your reply I want to buy a IGA store in Perth but looking at UK property market i might have to delay that for a while so I want to buy a cafe franchise for that time so I am looking to buy a subway ,Muffin break or similar. I am in retail industry in UK I run a supermarket here so I want to stay in same trade. Any info or advice will be much appreciated.

Regards
Goldie
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goldie b
Hi BM
Thanks for your reply I want to buy a IGA store in Perth but looking at UK property market i might have to delay that for a while so I want to buy a cafe franchise for that time so I am looking to buy a subway ,Muffin break or similar. I am in retail industry in UK I run a supermarket here so I want to stay in same trade. Any info or advice will be much appreciated.

Regards
Goldie
Hi Goldie,

Perth seems the franchise capital of the world!Plenty of Cafe/coffee shops around - we own one in the cbd. We also know the frinchisors of the 2 major groups here - so if we can help, we will.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi BM
Thanks for your reply and big thanks for offering the help.As you said there are lot of cafe/coffee shops franchises around perth.Could you please advise me on few of them which one to go for and how much capital I will need to buy one.I will appreciate your help .
Can you send pm to me.
Kind Regards
Goldie
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

The new financial year has begun - this is our signal to submit our application for PR.

We are applying for the 890 visa thru' our Immigration Lawyer, just in case. Loads of forms part completed now need to be finalised and the Accountant has promised us the 2 years final accounts to 20 June 08.

Then we just cross our fingers and wait. Oh yes - and attend our medicals in Perth on 24th July and 1st August.

By the way - I forgot to update our forum friends with the news that our youngest (31) !! son Robin married Cindy in Ocean Reef, Perth on the Sunday before last, 5pm on the 6th of the 7th 08. So Rob will probably have his PR Visa before us!!

end of newscast - lol

Bryan
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BM615
The new financial year has begun - this is our signal to submit our application for PR.

We are applying for the 890 visa thru' our Immigration Lawyer, just in case. Loads of forms part completed now need to be finalised and the Accountant has promised us the 2 years final accounts to 20 June 08.

Then we just cross our fingers and wait. Oh yes - and attend our medicals in Perth on 24th July and 1st August.

By the way - I forgot to update our forum friends with the news that our youngest (31) !! son Robin married Cindy in Ocean Reef, Perth on the Sunday before last, 5pm on the 6th of the 7th 08. So Rob will probably have his PR Visa before us!!

end of newscast - lol

Bryan
Good luck guys! you'll soon be as Australian as us..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.