business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Old May 7th 2008, 9:28 am
J-T
Just Joined

J-T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: business visa 163 anyone got a visa yet?

Originally Posted by Cath Lawson
re: Agents, I think it depends on the person. I have no trouble understanding my own balance sheet, but if there was an agent out there who could force my husband to sign the forms for me to take the kids out of the country, I might be tempted to use one.

BTW Jules - I am addicted to reading all your blog posts right now - it's great.
I think if anyone with their own business can't read a balance sheet, they've got no chance!!!
Old May 7th 2008, 10:24 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

re: Agents, I think it depends on the person. I have no trouble understanding my own balance sheet, but if there was an agent out there who could force my husband to sign the forms for me to take the kids out of the country, I might be tempted to use one.

BTW Jules - I am addicted to reading all your blog posts right now - it's great.
Thanks Cath. It's a good release for me - therapy on the cheap

It helps to see the humour in a situation - even when we're having a rough time of it, there's always something to laugh at if you look hard enough!

Jules x
Old May 7th 2008, 10:25 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-T
I think if anyone with their own business can't read a balance sheet, they've got no chance!!!
You want to experience some of the accountants over here!!!

Anyhow, that's what the OH is for. I just make the tea and answer the phone

Jules x
Old May 7th 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Cath Lawson is an unknown quantity at this point

I know J-T, but higher up in the thread, Alan mentioned that using an agent who was able to understand balance sheets was important when applying for a business visa and I'm just wondering why that is? If you know which visa you want to apply for and you meet all the criteria, then surely it can't be that complicated can it?

Jules - It is really informative. Is it expensive to buy a boat by the way? Can you pick up reasonable ones second-hand.
Old May 7th 2008, 10:54 am

I know J-T, but higher up in the thread, Alan mentioned that using an agent who was able to understand balance sheets was important when applying for a business visa and I'm just wondering why that is? If you know which visa you want to apply for and you meet all the criteria, then surely it can't be that complicated can it?

Jules - It is really informative. Is it expensive to buy a boat by the way? Can you pick up reasonable ones second-hand.
You can pick up a few second hand bargains! Have a look here http://boatsonline.com.au/

They are cheaper over East though

We enjoy ours.

Jules x
Old May 7th 2008, 11:18 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Ultimately it depends on your own competencies in identifying the numbers in the accounts that are important.

Added to which it is generally recognised that business skills visas are the more technical categories of visas within the migration program.

Some can do it without assistance of course. Some can't. Some will muddle through. In the grand scheme of things I'm for reducing the risk of getting it wrong and removing the angst.

Best regards.
Old May 7th 2008, 11:24 am
J-T
Just Joined

J-T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cath, I know what you mean. We've just started the ball rolling but I don't think we have got time to sort the visa's out ourselves at the moment. We just don't have time to do all the homework. OH works long hours and his business is an hour's drive away, mine is 30 mins away in the other direction and I'm just snowed under at the moment.

It's all new to us, we only decided in January we were going to go for it, and decided on our route last week, so it makes sense for us to seek help.

Hi Jules, just read your blogs - great stuff. Will show the kids the bit about "Nick" tonight! They'll love it!! OH has already decided he wants a boat when we get settled out there!! (His parents used to have one and he misses the fun of it all!!)

Tracey
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by J-T
Hi Cath, I know what you mean. We've just started the ball rolling but I don't think we have got time to sort the visa's out ourselves at the moment. We just don't have time to do all the homework. OH works long hours and his business is an hour's drive away, mine is 30 mins away in the other direction and I'm just snowed under at the moment.

It's all new to us, we only decided in January we were going to go for it, and decided on our route last week, so it makes sense for us to seek help.

Hi Jules, just read your blogs - great stuff. Will show the kids the bit about "Nick" tonight! They'll love it!! OH has already decided he wants a boat when we get settled out there!! (His parents used to have one and he misses the fun of it all!!)

Tracey
For Wildmark - we've *finally* moved into our new house!!

Piccies and details on the blog.

How's things with you?

Jules x
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:48 am

How's things with you?

Jules x
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

BM615 will become famous soon enoughBM615 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by julesandco

How's things with you?

Jules x

Congratulations to you all Jules,

best wishes in your new home,

Bryan & Joyce
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by julesandco

How's things with you?

Jules x
Well Done!
How is that pool shaping up?
We have sold ours and move next month!
Steve
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by steveyp
Well Done!
How is that pool shaping up?
We have sold ours and move next month!
Steve
Hi Steve,

Would you believe we had the blooming thing planted in November, we had hand over last week; the guys are here at the moment putting the solar on the roof. We've got no blanket yet (our fault as we're never ready) and the paver's just finishing!

It might just be ready for next summer

Have you just sold the pool or did they get a 'free' house? Where are you moving to?

Will have to see Kev now and buy some pool toys

Jules x
Old Jun 4th 2008, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by BM615
Congratulations to you all Jules,

best wishes in your new home,

Bryan & Joyce
Thanks guys

How's things with you? How's the restaurant going?

Jules x
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

foxychic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Mark - have PM'd you with an e-mail addy for the Rogues. Let us know how they are going if they reply.

Jules - Huge Congrats on the move to the house, love looking at the blog and the house looks great.

We are plodding on here in SA (and it is flippin plodding!) Business steady, have to say - don't like the 163 visa option at this stage If there were any other option we would have obviously taken it!

A bit at the stage of wishing we were in our comfortable old life, although our new arrival probably has an awful lot to do with that, making us really miss 'home'.

How are the rest of you old timers going? Out of interest, and maybe of some help to those starting on the process I have some questions:

1. who stuck with a similar business to their UK one?
2. Who started from scratch, who bought a business?
3. Is it going as expected - turnover wise etc?
4. Was it harder than expected - the whole process for an Oz business`?
5. Are you finding it easy to meet the criteria for PR?
6. Has your way of life improved?
7. Are you in Oz for good?

I will start
1. Same as UK, retail
2. started from scratch, did research on location - may not have got this right!
3. is going as expected, but needs to be more to create a lifestyle where I can just be a lady of leisure again!
4. Lots harder to be honest, different culture takes time to adapt to
5. yes, should be no problem, just wish it could be sooner
6. Not really, nicer weather
7. The jury is well and truly out on this one!

Our other news is our Aussie surprise has arrived, 3 weeks ago, Holly came into the world, and she really is beautiful (OK, I am a bit biased!) she has changed already, but hopefully, if I have the hang of it, there should be a photo of her below.

Take care all
Foxy

Edit: Yay it worked - you can see she has my chin(s)!! fat faced little monkey!

Last edited by foxychic; Jun 5th 2008 at 7:13 am. Reason: addition
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Boogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the roughBoogie65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by foxychic
Hi all

We are plodding on here in SA (and it is flippin plodding!) Business steady, have to say - don't like the 163 visa option at this stage If there were any other option we would have obviously taken it!

A bit at the stage of wishing we were in our comfortable old life, although our new arrival probably has an awful lot to do with that, making us really miss 'home'.

How are the rest of you old timers going? Out of interest, and maybe of some help to those starting on the process I have some questions:

1. who stuck with a similar business to their UK one?
2. Who started from scratch, who bought a business?
3. Is it going as expected - turnover wise etc?
4. Was it harder than expected - the whole process for an Oz business`?
5. Are you finding it easy to meet the criteria for PR?
6. Has your way of life improved?
7. Are you in Oz for good?

I will start
1. Same as UK, retail
2. started from scratch, did research on location - may not have got this right!
3. is going as expected, but needs to be more to create a lifestyle where I can just be a lady of leisure again!
4. Lots harder to be honest, different culture takes time to adapt to
5. yes, should be no problem, just wish it could be sooner
6. Not really, nicer weather
7. The jury is well and truly out on this one!

Our other news is our Aussie surprise has arrived, 3 weeks ago, Holly came into the world, and she really is beautiful (OK, I am a bit biased!) she has changed already, but hopefully, if I have the hang of it, there should be a photo of her below.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/DSC03599.jpg

Take care all
Foxy

Edit: Yay it worked - you can see she has my chin(s)!! fat faced little monkey!
Hi Foxy

Firstly, huge congrats on your beautiful new bub (well she is Aussie right?).

1. We ran internet based retail in the UK - still in retail but totally different (embroidery kiosk in shopping centre)
2. We bought an established business but at the time of buying it the turnover didn't reach the criteria for PR so we have had to invest in new machinery to improve things.
3. Ditto to yours Jules
4. Running the business side of things no different really from UK
5. Wouldn't say "easy" to reach criteria, have had to work jolly hard to bump things up to the required level in the minimum time. Good staff have made a difference in the last 6 months.
6. Not really - still working lots, rather than going out to enjoy this country but that will come after the PR has been achieved.
7. According to hubby & kids, definitely yes. I still have the odd moment of doubt but not many and I really can't see us going back so probably, yes for me too.

On another note Jules, I think I remember before you came to Oz didn't you say hubby was offered a job? I mention this because my hubby is working and his employer is sponsoring him / us for PR on a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme. (Conditions apply of course) Yippee we thought at first as we were given a timescale of around now for the application to be finalised BUT now the timescale has been revised dramatically to the end of the year due to backlogs in Brisbane (which came as a HUGE disappointment) and as theoretically we can apply for PR via the Business Visa by the end of December ...... but at least we now a backup plan if necessary

Anyway, best wishes again for the new arrival, she really is gorgeous.

Chrissy
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.