Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Wikiposts

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Oct 26th 2016, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Originally Posted by letsgo2016
There was finally movement on my account today and unfortunately it was a request for further (and the same) information. They want another UK police cert, which was supplied and fine when we applied, and they also want a repeat of Schedule A, with personal addresses since my partner was 18. The form says for the last ten years or since you were 18 whichever is less, which is what we gave. As my partner is 58 they have specifically asked for address since October 1979! Frustrating to say the least but it has to be done.
Spreadsheet updated.

The wiki entry for Schedule A does say that although they say age 18 or the last ten years, in practice they always want it back to age 18 whatever. Fortunately I read this before I finished the forms, so gave them everything back to age 18, otherwise I would have fallen into the same 'trap'. It is hard to believe I know - just change the wording on the form CIC - it's not like you never update forms is it!
Old Oct 29th 2016, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

AKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond repute

Information to be added to spreadsheet:

Date app received in Mississauga: May 30, 2016

Common Law

Sponsor approved: 27th July 2016

Sent to: Ottawa

Principal Applicant: Scottish, living in Scotland

Quick question - if my application hasn't been approved by the new year, it is my plan to live in Canada as a tourist for a few months. Is this all legal and legitimate? Will it affect my application processing time? Should I be applying for duel intent? We don't really want to be apart much longer and I can continue to work my current job remotely.

Thanks!

Last edited by AKB123; Oct 29th 2016 at 12:38 am.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beezeroo
Information to be added to spreadsheet:

Date app received in Mississauga: May 30, 2016

Common Law

Sponsor approved: 27th July 2016

Sent to: Ottawa

Principal Applicant: Scottish, living in Scotland
I have added you to the spreadsheet, please keep us updated on this thread with any changes and good luck. I am not best placed to address your question, so will leave that to others.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually on re-reading, your questions are pretty straightforward.

Quick question - if my application hasn't been approved by the new year
Your application went to Ottawa a couple of months ago. Unless there is a snag with your paperwork, I suspect you will be hearing from them imminently, there is only one other application on the spreadsheet that went to Ottawa that is older than yours!

my plan to live in Canada as a tourist for a few months. Is this all legal and legitimate?
Yes

Will it affect my application processing time?
No

Should I be applying for duel intent?
Not so much 'applying' as telling them when you land that you want to stay under dual intent. Read up on the 'process' here - but you seem to fit this pretty well

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Hope this helps...
Old Oct 29th 2016, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently in Canada while waiting for PR (6 month visitor stamp, my sponsor has been approved).

While crossing back from the USA I was asked to go inside and talk to a border agent. Everything was fine etc, as I explained my situation with PR but what took me by surprise was when they said that I can contact CIC and ask for letter saying that I have progressed enough along in the PR process to get an Open Work Permit. The agent (this was discussed amongst 3 of them) then said if I got such a letter I could bring this back to the border office and I can get an Open Work Permit.

Obviously this is all news to me, as I said to the border agent first of all that I can't get an OWP as that would be done inland. He agreed but then said he would double check.

Has anyone heard of this happening?
Old Oct 29th 2016, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCeiling
I am currently in Canada while waiting for PR (6 month visitor stamp, my sponsor has been approved).

While crossing back from the USA I was asked to go inside and talk to a border agent. Everything was fine etc, as I explained my situation with PR but what took me by surprise was when they said that I can contact CIC and ask for letter saying that I have progressed enough along in the PR process to get an Open Work Permit. The agent (this was discussed amongst 3 of them) then said if I got such a letter I could bring this back to the border office and I can get an Open Work Permit.

Obviously this is all news to me, as I said to the border agent first of all that I can't get an OWP as that would be done inland. He agreed but then said he would double check.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

For Inland applications only.
If your permanent residence application has not yet received approval in principle:

Send your open work permit application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville (CPC-V), Alberta.
Make sure to include:
All supporting documents, and
Proof of payment.

If your permanent residence application has been approved in principle:

You can apply online or on paper for an open work permit.
If you apply on paper, send your complete application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville (CPC-V), Alberta.
Make sure to include:
Proof of payment.

The OWPs are not supposed to be issued at the border so I wouldn't risk it.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
For Inland applications only.
If your permanent residence application has not yet received approval in principle:

Send your open work permit application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville (CPC-V), Alberta.
Make sure to include:
Proof of payment.

If your permanent residence application has been approved in principle:

You can apply online or on paper for an open work permit.
If you apply on paper, send your complete application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville (CPC-V), Alberta.
Make sure to include:
Proof of payment.

The OWPs are not supposed to be issued at the border so I wouldn't risk it.
I made it clear to them that it is being processed outland (via London). I will call CIC on Monday.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighCeiling
I made it clear to them that it is being processed outland (via London). I will call CIC on Monday.
No open work permits for OUTLAND applications.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No open work permits for OUTLAND applications.
Yep that's what all the info on the CIC website says...but I keep getting told by officials working at Canadian borders that you can.
Old Oct 29th 2016, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

AKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond reputeAKB123 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely this is helpful, thank you very much.

I wonder if a "snag in the paperwork" might include that we were asked to provide "Stat Dec of Common-Law IMM5409" on the 8th of August which I sent in on the 11th of August. Do you think that this could result in a delay our application?
Old Oct 30th 2016, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Absolutely this is helpful, thank you very much.

I wonder if a "snag in the paperwork" might include that we were asked to provide "Stat Dec of Common-Law IMM5409" on the 8th of August which I sent in on the 11th of August. Do you think that this could result in a delay our application?
Any request for additional paperwork will delay it. For IMM5409 I would guess by no more than two or three weeks. As you are with Ottawa, I would still say you should hear pretty soon - fingers crossed for you
Old Oct 30th 2016, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all of your help, I really do appreciate it. We're hoping that it'll all be processed by January at the latest. I guess we can only wait and hope that we filled in our forms correctly! I'll update you whenever we hear anything.

Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 30th 2016, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

CReg91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Sorry to bring this up again but is 15+ days for the COPR to get to us in Toronto from London still within normal timing?

I see from the spreadsheet that it can take a while but with most people it's within a week.

I have a job interview tomorrow and am slightly anxious about not having legal status yet.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2016, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CReg91
Hey all,

Sorry to bring this up again but is 15+ days for the COPR to get to us in Toronto from London still within normal timing?

I see from the spreadsheet that it can take a while but with most people it's within a week.

I have a job interview tomorrow and am slightly anxious about not having legal status yet.

Thanks!
I don't know what postal service they use, but I (bad error!) used Royal Mail track / trace / signed for my paperwork to Mississauga and it took damned near three weeks to be signed for in Mississauga!

Perhaps others have first hand experience of a COPR being sent to Canada, but I wouldn't press the panic button just yet!
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Another quick question. At the stage that we are at, is there any possibility that our application could be rejected? Or is it now just a case of playing the waiting game?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.