Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old May 1st 2014, 5:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by boaly100
Thank you for that response, however I have just had a email from my lawyer that my Application was in the final stages I got my hopes up that it was decision made! How wrong I was, it was a request for further information regarding addresses that I've lived at. This is information that we have already submitted when we submitted the application back in October but the lawyer has missed it for some reason. IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ARE NOT WORTH IT ESPECIALLY OURS!!! If I had known about this forum before I started the application I would have done it myself. The information that has been provided on this forum is worth far more than any lawyer. No doubt my application will be delayed further.
He didn't tell you that London want addresses you have lived at back to the age of 18 or that he forgot to send it?

Is he based in Canada or the UK?

How annoying!!
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:50 am
Just Joined

boaly100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
He didn't tell you that London want addresses you have lived at back to the age of 18 or that he forgot to send it?

Is he based in Canada or the UK?

How annoying!!
He had all the address's from when I was 3 as that was the same address until I was 18! For some reason the postcodes for these address's were omitted from the original application and that is what was requested from CIC. The lawyer then contridicted himself by saying the CIC officer had wanted extra addresses from 10 yrs to age 18 when they already had them, and I think it was just the lawyer had forgotten to fill in the postcodes. I just hope that it does not delay the PR to much, at least I know they are doing something with it. The lawyer is based in the London UK

Last edited by boaly100; May 2nd 2014 at 12:52 am.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

canuck81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evelyned
Ah, thanks for letting me know Nicolasta! Not just me then! These things can be so complicated... Would be great to get the money back so I can put it towards getting their passport. Hope everything is going smoothly for you now
Hi, congrats on getting the application process started, I am Canadian and have a British husband, we have 2 children who were both born in the UK. My eldest is a dual citizen, with an expired Canadian passport and my youngest is only British. The kids and I moved to Canada last August for them to start school in September, and my husband is still currently in the UK. His PR came through about 4 weeks ago but due to work commitments he cannot join us until the end of June. Anyways, I have never had any questions or problems regarding my childrens British Passports, especially my son who doesn't even have Canadian Citizenship. They both qualified for Ohip after 3 months, like myself, and the school board just needed one extra form filling out for my son as he isn't a citizen but my daughter is. We are going to apply soon, we were just waiting to make sure our PR application was a success, so if I were you just wait until everything goes through, it all costs so much money, it is something that can wait. Fingers crossed it goes through quickly for you, ours took just over 4 months, it felt like ages, but now on the other end it wasn't so long afterall.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Looks like we have a very similar situation! I rang the school system near where we want to live (montreal) and they told us that like you as long as I bring my passport and kids birth certificate it won't be a problem. But there is also the problem of getting through border control once we land in Canada. I have emailed the canadian embassy in London about getting a temporary citizenship card so will let you know if I get an answer from them.
Hi again, I didnt see this post earlier, I went through border control on my own with our two kiddies (using their British Passports) without my husband in August (2013), all I had to have was a letter written by my husband giving me permission to take the kids with a photocopy of his passport, to make sure it was legit I think we paid our local Postoffice in the UK 7 pounds (dont have the symbol on my keyboard here) to stamp it and sign it. Border control in Toronto were awesome, they welcomed me home and the kids to their new home. Honestly they did not question when I would renew my daughter's Canadian passport or when I planned to get my son a Canadian one. I had to go through international border control because of their British Passports mind, I could not take them through the Canadian one. Until I saw your posts and another person's post regarding the matter, I actually never thought about it as a problem. I am Canadian, they are my children, so therefore they have every right to be here. I will get it sorted quickly, but until they are old enough to want a job, I really cant see it being a problem?? I am not sure if every province is the same, but I am sure you and your children will be treated the same as us.

Last edited by canuck81; May 2nd 2014 at 1:52 am.
Old May 2nd 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuck81
Hi again, I didnt see this post earlier, I went through border control on my own with our two kiddies (using their British Passports) without my husband in August (2013), all I had to have was a letter written by my husband giving me permission to take the kids with a photocopy of his passport, to make sure it was legit I think we paid our local Postoffice in the UK 7 pounds (dont have the symbol on my keyboard here) to stamp it and sign it. Border control in Toronto were awesome, they welcomed me home and the kids to their new home. Honestly they did not question when I would renew my daughter's Canadian passport or when I planned to get my son a Canadian one. I had to go through international border control because of their British Passports mind, I could not take them through the Canadian one. Until I saw your posts and another person's post regarding the matter, I actually never thought about it as a problem. I am Canadian, they are my children, so therefore they have every right to be here. I will get it sorted quickly, but until they are old enough to want a job, I really cant see it being a problem?? I am not sure if every province is the same, but I am sure you and your children will be treated the same as us.
Hi there,
thanks for that! I am flying on a one way ticket so I thought they might question why I am coming without my husband but sounds like everything should be fine. I'll make sure I have all the paperwork with me. Did it take 4 months for the Sponsorship application?!? I made the mistake of including my children in the application and just hope it won't delay things as the house is now up for sale. Application was received exactly 34 days ago now which is the timeline on their website so fingers crossed there is a decision soon. I never imagined it would be this complicated returning to my home country... But this is just the beginning so better get used to it!
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Canuck - that addresses my questions as well
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolasta
Nicolasta, did the fact that you included your children to be sponsored delayed your application? Just rang CIC and they told me I should send a letter explaining the mistake. They are now opening envelopes dating 27th of March and mine arrived 28th of March so not much time to get this letter to them!! I am so kicking myslef!!
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,
thanks for that! I am flying on a one way ticket so I thought they might question why I am coming without my husband but sounds like everything should be fine. I'll make sure I have all the paperwork with me. Did it take 4 months for the Sponsorship application?!? I made the mistake of including my children in the application and just hope it won't delay things as the house is now up for sale. Application was received exactly 34 days ago now which is the timeline on their website so fingers crossed there is a decision soon. I never imagined it would be this complicated returning to my home country... But this is just the beginning so better get used to it!
I had a return ticket as it was cheaper to buy return, we just didnt return, but no questions regarding it were asked. I sent my whole application off on November 20th and we had our COPR by the 28th of April I think, look on the spreadsheet we are there, we are one of the quick ones though, I didnt apply for my children, so I am not to sure if that will slow things down, it shouldnt but you never know with immigration. This site is pretty awesome, it definitely helped me out, ask as many questions as you want, there is always someone with a very informative answer. Fingers crossed for you
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

No problem, glad I can help, so many others on this forum have helped me, glad to pay it back Fingers crossed for you too
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

I had a return ticket as it was cheaper to buy return, we just didnt return, but no questions regarding it were asked. I sent my whole application off on November 20th and we had our COPR by the 28th of April I think, look on the spreadsheet we are there, we are one of the quick ones though, I didnt apply for my children, so I am not to sure if that will slow things down, it shouldnt but you never know with immigration. This site is pretty awesome, it definitely helped me out, ask as many questions as you want, there is always someone with a very informative answer. Fingers crossed for you
Yes indeed this site is amazing!! So friendly and helpful Wow, that was a quick application!! I've sent a letter to CIC stating my mistake so hopefully this will clear things up and go faster. I am probably stressing over things more than should!
Old May 4th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary louise
thanks Former Lancastrian but I am still confused ! - Once I have my PR and we have been living in Canada for a few months, say, will myself and my 2 children still require ESTAs to fly to the US for a weeks holiday, for instance ? All 3 of us are British citizens with British passports but the children also have Canadian citizenship cards. thank you for your patience !
I think you may find it depends on the US immigration officer.

I travelled by road last year from Canada to the US, with my husband and son. All of us were on our British passports, although myself and our son are Canadian citizens. We had a slight wrangle at the border - I was quite happy to do the form (whatever alternative there was at the time to the ESTA for arriving by land rather than air or sea - I94?), but didn't want to pay the money if we didn't have to, as Canadian Citizens. I had my birth certificate with me, and my son had his citizenship certificate, but the British passports were causing the issue. He even told me that it wasn't possible for Brits to have dual nationality. Le sigh. I did explain his error, and eventually the immigration officer decided we didn't need the extra form, but he seemed quite unsure about it all.

So my advice, if you can't get an absolutely definitive answer, would be to err on the side of caution and do the ESTAs. You don't want to get stuck at immigration any longer than necessary.
Old May 4th 2014, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Nicolasta, did the fact that you included your children to be sponsored delayed your application? Just rang CIC and they told me I should send a letter explaining the mistake. They are now opening envelopes dating 27th of March and mine arrived 28th of March so not much time to get this letter to them!! I am so kicking myslef!!
Evelyn, I don't think so... But then again I honestly applied for the kids as well because I thought it was quicker than a citizenship certificate application (I didn't realise that they could enter on their Irish passports with evidence available of citizen cert application if needed). The sponsorship was approved at around the timelines stated on the website, however my husband had to send two separate e-mails as they originally said they send him a letter to his Canadian address which he never received. Eventually they sent us a copy of the sponsorship approval letter via e-mail. ECAS is still showing application received, I am hoping to get a decision made before the end of June as myself and kids are going to St John's for a few weeks holidays then and it would be good to land then. After that we will have a problem as I will be too far along in my pregnancy to travel . Best of luck, it is a relatively simple process when you take it as a whole, but once you get into the detail loads of small things can trip you up!!
I always thought it would be handy to have a couple of "example" family situations included in their website, like 5 or 6 of the most common spousal application and what can slow an application down... It would make CIC's life easier as I am sure they are sick of getting the same mistakes over and over... Maybe it is there but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Old May 5th 2014, 8:43 am
Just Joined

k7n6m84 is an unknown quantity at this point

COPR arrived in the post on Saturday (May 3rd). Happy happy!! Flights are being booked this week for middle of June before the prices jump. Thanks for this thread, it's been super helpful and useful. Goodluck to all those applicants waiting
Old May 5th 2014, 10:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by k7n6m84
COPR arrived in the post on Saturday (May 3rd). Happy happy!! Flights are being booked this week for middle of June before the prices jump. Thanks for this thread, it's been super helpful and useful. Goodluck to all those applicants waiting

Congrats!!!
Old May 6th 2014, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Evelyn, I don't think so... But then again I honestly applied for the kids as well because I thought it was quicker than a citizenship certificate application (I didn't realise that they could enter on their Irish passports with evidence available of citizen cert application if needed). The sponsorship was approved at around the timelines stated on the website, however my husband had to send two separate e-mails as they originally said they send him a letter to his Canadian address which he never received. Eventually they sent us a copy of the sponsorship approval letter via e-mail. ECAS is still showing application received, I am hoping to get a decision made before the end of June as myself and kids are going to St John's for a few weeks holidays then and it would be good to land then. After that we will have a problem as I will be too far along in my pregnancy to travel . Best of luck, it is a relatively simple process when you take it as a whole, but once you get into the detail loads of small things can trip you up!!
I always thought it would be handy to have a couple of "example" family situations included in their website, like 5 or 6 of the most common spousal application and what can slow an application down... It would make CIC's life easier as I am sure they are sick of getting the same mistakes over and over... Maybe it is there but I couldn't find it anywhere.
I think that would be a great idea! Like you, I never saw anything mentioning that if you are Canadian and the natural mother, your children don't need an application.

So when they say application received it doesn't mean you are approved? How long can it take to be approved?? And is that part of the 11 months stage 2? They should be opening our forms this week and I'm just waiting for the all clear before we book our plane tickets.

I hope you get an answer soon and you can start moving forward. The wait is so stressful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.