Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Wikiposts

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

Doubt it will be a problem... it's a risk but it should be fine. Make sure you travel with evidence that you have applied, though, and that will help. Shouldn't be a problem when he moves with you, his trip to the US might be a bit tougher if he's on his own but ultimately it shouldn't be a problem as long as he's honest that he has a PR application in process, his family is living in Canada, and he's got proof to back it all up.
When you say 'it's a risk' - what is the risk exactly? That they wouldn't let him back into Canada after his trip to the US? He would be on his own for that trip.

Is there any way to assess what the risk is?

One alternative would be for him to fly straight in from the US after that trip (rather than arrive with us) but I don't know whether that would also present a problem if he is arriving on his own.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:33 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
When you say 'it's a risk' - what is the risk exactly? That they wouldn't let him back into Canada after his trip to the US? He would be on his own for that trip.

Is there any way to assess what the risk is?

One alternative would be for him to fly straight in from the US after that trip (rather than arrive with us) but I don't know whether that would also present a problem if he is arriving on his own.
Whenever a visitor leaves Canada, they run the risk of not being let back in. Given your husband is married to a Canadian, and his Canadian family is living in Canada, and he's got a PR application in process, I'd say it's highly unlikely he'd be given any trouble. However, no one here is going to guarantee that your husband won't have any problems. Hence, leaving is a risk. A small one, yes, but still a risk.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Heppster will become famous soon enoughHeppster will become famous soon enough

Hello all,

After waiting 19 days after sending out the PPR we finally have the Passport with the visa, and the COPR. It was delivered on the 29th of march and we were out, so we went to pick it up today. It is good to be at this stage! Now it is all up to us for when we choose to land. It appears as if the expiry date is roughly 3 weeks later than the expiry of the medical which is a bit strange.

Now we have one remaining question... With this Conditional PR with we fall into, I understand that we have to live together for 2 years from the date of becoming a Permanent Resident. Does anyone know how strict they are with that? My wife and I will be traveling later this year, after she has become a PR, but there will be a time when I have to travel home about 2 weeks earlier than she will. She will need to stay in the UK for some appointments, she will be staying with her parents, but by no means, be living there, just waiting for the appointments.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:35 am
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SchnookoLoly;11200134]AnneMarieC - just hang in there, I'd imagine yours isn't far behind as you're now just over the general average. There doesn't see to be much rhyme or reason with CL vs M... it's a mix of both that have been approved in quicker timeframes. SO I wouldn't put too much weight in that. QUOTE]

Thanks for the reassurance Just getting to feel like a long time now lol. I sent a cheeky "did you need any further documents" email back in Jan and received back a "we haven't even looked at your application so p!ss off" type email in return lol. Made me giggle.

Fingers crossed - no news is good news is my mantra at this point!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Stuart_1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats, glad it's all sorted!! I've updated you!

Out of curiosity, has your ECAS changed?
I checked yesterday and there was no change.. Still says still in process..
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heppster
Hello all,

After waiting 19 days after sending out the PPR we finally have the Passport with the visa, and the COPR. It was delivered on the 29th of march and we were out, so we went to pick it up today. It is good to be at this stage! Now it is all up to us for when we choose to land. It appears as if the expiry date is roughly 3 weeks later than the expiry of the medical which is a bit strange.
Yay you! That's exciting, glad it's all come through smoothly!

Now we have one remaining question... With this Conditional PR with we fall into, I understand that we have to live together for 2 years from the date of becoming a Permanent Resident. Does anyone know how strict they are with that? My wife and I will be traveling later this year, after she has become a PR, but there will be a time when I have to travel home about 2 weeks earlier than she will. She will need to stay in the UK for some appointments, she will be staying with her parents, but by no means, be living there, just waiting for the appointments.
No one knows yet how strict they're going to be. That restriction came into play for applications filed on or after 25 October 2012... so someone who applied late October 2012 would have gotten PR spring/summer 2013, which means those people are at most only 1 year into their conditional PR. We'll start to see results from conditional PRs next year once those people start getting to the two-year point. Up until then, it's just speculation.

If it were me, I wouldn't be taking any risks with not living together. If you consider how they have treated some CL applications, one person travelling for 2 weeks to another country, even for a holiday, not actually moving, has been seen as "living apart" and thereby breaking the CL status. If it were one week or less then that probably would be fine (but I'm guessing!), but any longer than that, IMO, is taking a risk.

Your call...
Concierge

Originally Posted by Stuart_1973
I checked yesterday and there was no change.. Still says still in process..
And this is why ECAS is notoriously unreliable.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever a visitor leaves Canada, they run the risk of not being let back in. Given your husband is married to a Canadian, and his Canadian family is living in Canada, and he's got a PR application in process, I'd say it's highly unlikely he'd be given any trouble. However, no one here is going to guarantee that your husband won't have any problems. Hence, leaving is a risk. A small one, yes, but still a risk.
Thanks. OK, I guess we have to take that into consideration. I know that he doesn't absolutely have to do this trip, although he feels he should. Maybe this might be enough to convince him not to do it. I know I'd prefer him not to.

Thanks once again for your excellent advice.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heppster
Hello all,

Don't forget that Canadian dates are around the other way as in month/day/year and not day/month/year - so you may want to double check that (although they may have extended your medical).

With regards to the conditional PR, it is strict though in the information provided (bulletin 480) they do say:
2.4 Assessing evidence of compliance of the two-year condition

To maintain their permanent resident status, the sponsored spouse or partner is required to cohabit in a conjugal relationship with their sponsor for a continuous period of two years after the day on which they became a permanent resident.

While the regulations require a “continuous” period of two years of cohabitation, from time to time, one or the other partner may leave the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. CIC officers should follow existing guidelines when assessing a period of cohabitation where temporary or short separations have occurred. See OP 2, Section 5.35 for more information.
You can read more here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2012/ob480.asp

I would suggest you make sure you have proof of the appointments (and that they couldn't have been undertaken in Canada) and reasons as to why you need to come back to Canada, just in case it is ever questioned. She may run a risk of being questioned on re-entry to Canada though if it's for longer than a week (generally speaking) - so if it's possible to reduce the time away/separate I would strongly advise it. I just noticed that you said you are going 2 weeks earlier than she is, and that she is remaining in the UK after you return. I would suggest you change these plans as that could 'break' your cohabitation for immigration purposes.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 1st 2014 at 6:56 am.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

canuck81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Getting so antsy about the waiting! After a stupendously fast stage1 we are now crawling into our 7th month

I'm curious - looks like CL's are definitely getting through quicker - logic makes me think that they would be more "complex" than straight up marriages so you'd think they would take longer ... but then perhaps their packs are more "thorough".

Argh! Desperately need that copr to get here as we need hubby to start working as well! And I see London processing times are now at a shocking 11mths!

Le Sigh.
I feel for you and for your long wait . My husband and I were fortunate enough to receive his COPR last week, we waited just over 4 months and that felt long enough. In regards to your comment about CL and Married applications, I had wondered myself through this process how they determined whose application to process first and who's application went last, I don't have the answer but maybe someone on here does. Does anyone know if the time a couple has been together matters, are the applications where a couple have been together for longer processed quicker? Some applications have gone through in less than 50 days altogether, are these maybe older couples who have been together ages? I am only 33 but have been with my husband since I was 20 (2001) and we have been married almost 9 years (we got married in June 2005), there is nothing on the spreadsheet to indicate how long married or CL partners have actually been together, just a thought, maybe this has something to do with the process? Could someone with more knowledge to how this works let me know if this maybe is the case. Anyways AnneMarieC my fingers are crossed for you
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Thanks. OK, I guess we have to take that into consideration. I know that he doesn't absolutely have to do this trip, although he feels he should. Maybe this might be enough to convince him not to do it. I know I'd prefer him not to.

Thanks once again for your excellent advice.
Will he be travelling via Air or across the land border?

In my experience with the land border is the US Border Agents are generally more hesitant to let you into the States when you haven't got a status in Canada.. i.e are a visitor. As if Canada refuses to allow him back into Canada the States are stuck with him! However if he has a return flight to the UK booked then that should be good, along with proof of funds etc.

The last couple of times I have been across to the States whilst a visitor in Canada they have said to me 'I don't like doing this' (meaning letting me in when I have no proof I intend to leave North America).. but they did it anyways.

Just be prepared for the possibility of extra questions going both ways across the border!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burks
Will he be travelling via Air or across the land border?

In my experience with the land border is the US Border Agents are generally more hesitant to let you into the States when you haven't got a status in Canada.. i.e are a visitor. As if Canada refuses to allow him back into Canada the States are stuck with him! However if he has a return flight to the UK booked then that should be good, along with proof of funds etc.

The last couple of times I have been across to the States whilst a visitor in Canada they have said to me 'I don't like doing this' (meaning letting me in when I have no proof I intend to leave North America).. but they did it anyways.

Just be prepared for the possibility of extra questions going both ways across the border!
By Air. And he will have a return flight to the UK booked in October.

Thanks for your thoughts burks.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

Canuck - I wondered about that as well, especially since I applied two days after you and haven't heard anything (I have also sent 2 case specific mails because my address is wrong on ECAS and no response). I have been with my husband for 14 years (he is Canadian) and married for 7 with two kids and one on way. However, I was born in Zambia (expat parents) and moved back home when I was two. I also lived in USA for 5 years after University, so I am resigned to a long wait!! Oh yeah, and if they are looking to do background checks on extended family my siblings live in Russia and USA In the meantime we fly back and forward every 9 weeks or so - this is turning out to be an expensive year I think there are so many variables at play with each application, and that is without taking into account the different rates at which each case worker may work in the visa office. I find this forum keep me vaguely sane .... thank you all for that.

Originally Posted by canuck81
I feel for you and for your long wait . My husband and I were fortunate enough to receive his COPR last week, we waited just over 4 months and that felt long enough. In regards to your comment about CL and Married applications, I had wondered myself through this process how they determined whose application to process first and who's application went last, I don't have the answer but maybe someone on here does. Does anyone know if the time a couple has been together matters, are the applications where a couple have been together for longer processed quicker? Some applications have gone through in less than 50 days altogether, are these maybe older couples who have been together ages? I am only 33 but have been with my husband since I was 20 (2001) and we have been married almost 9 years (we got married in June 2005), there is nothing on the spreadsheet to indicate how long married or CL partners have actually been together, just a thought, maybe this has something to do with the process? Could someone with more knowledge to how this works let me know if this maybe is the case. Anyways AnneMarieC my fingers are crossed for you
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

apt2208 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Getting so antsy about the waiting! After a stupendously fast stage1 we are now crawling into our 7th month

I'm curious - looks like CL's are definitely getting through quicker - logic makes me think that they would be more "complex" than straight up marriages so you'd think they would take longer ... but then perhaps their packs are more "thorough".

Argh! Desperately need that copr to get here as we need hubby to start working as well! And I see London processing times are now at a shocking 11mths!

Le Sigh.
I know exactly how you feel! I'm a few days ahead of you and the wait is starting to become unbearable
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 4:20 am
Just Joined

OttawaBound is an unknown quantity at this point

Please add me to the spreadsheet

Category: Spousal, CL
Visa Office: London
Application Received: September 25th, 2013
Sponsor Approval: October 9th 2013
Request for kids medicals: 13th November 2013
Kids medical provided: Early January 2014

Hoping to get this all wrapped up in 2014!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.