Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by poppy88
So this is what my lawyer told me about, what do you think?

The process is slightly controversial because you’re knowingly submitting an application without any merit. However, by operation of law you can continue to work while your application is pending. The legislation is pretty clear on that.

This is the application kit you would use:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...end-worker.asp

Since your goal is to buy time, you should submit a paper application rather than an online application, since the processing time for the former is longer (50 days vs. 16 days). See:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp
When I was on IEC I went and spoke to a immigration consultant type to see how to go about getting my PR and maybe extending my work status.

They told me that I could apply for an extension with the full knowledge that it would be rejected. However if I were to do that, the consultant would have nothing to do with the application, and I would be risking the PR application as the IEC programme is not able to be extended. It would therefore be working illegally.

They said it could be seen as a grey area. However as they were not willing to have any association with this grey area (They would have denied advising if I were to have told CIC I applied on their advise) I made the decision to stay away from it completely.

No point risking a PR app for the sake of 50 more days work!
Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The process is slightly controversial because you’re knowingly submitting an application without any merit. However, by operation of law you can continue to work while your application is pending. The legislation is pretty clear on that.

Since your goal is to buy time, you should submit a paper application rather than an online application, since the processing time for the former is longer (50 days vs. 16 days). See:
As has been explained many, many times already you CANNOT extend or have implied worker status on an IEC work permit. What your lawyer is suggesting you do is against regulations.

You signed a declaration, when you applied, that you understood the terms and conditions - one of which is that you understand that an IEC work permit is only valid until the expiry date and cannot be extended. If you attempt to carry on working, you will be in violation and risk deportation and a 2 year ban on entering Canada.

Perhaps you should read this direct correspondence from CIC: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815262

* Participants in international youth exchange programs (e.g., Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP), International Experience Canada (IEC) or Working Holiday Program (WHP)) do not benefit from implied status, unless extending a work permit not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program.

If you wish to extend your stay in Canada then I would suggest you change your status to visitor.

Please do not post incorrect and potentially damaging information again.

For your information, legislation is quite clear that you are NOT on implied status.

1) Subsection 201(1) is the provision that allows you to extend a work permit.
2) Section 186(u) provides implied status to those work permit holders who have made an application under subsection 201(1).
3) IEC permits cannot be extended therefore 201(1) is not applicable.
4) An IEC permit holder cannot have implied status as provided by 186(u) because they cannot make a valid application under 201(1).

If you are considering apply for PR, I would suggest you read this thread on another forum.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 28th 2014 at 6:49 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 6:33 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You would be endangering any interest you may have in immigration to Canada.

Old Mar 28th 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Ginganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond repute

so i just called cic regarding my application since I've heard not a peep since it was sent on feb 17th and the woman i spoke to said shes going to send an urgent message to missisagua and that I should have heard something by march 19th at the latest. so I've to call back on tuesday but she told me not to worry..... :/ I have heard of a couple other people on here who heard nothing even though they had stage one approval and it was sent to london, im hoping thats whats happened here...
Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginganinja
so i just called cic regarding my application since I've heard not a peep since it was sent on feb 17th and the woman i spoke to said shes going to send an urgent message to missisagua and that I should have heard something by march 19th at the latest. so I've to call back on tuesday but she told me not to worry..... :/ I have heard of a couple other people on here who heard nothing even though they had stage one approval and it was sent to london, im hoping thats whats happened here...
Whilst that is good news, please be aware that the Call centre is notorious for giving out incorrect information and not following through.

I would suggest you bypass the minions who are not Immigration officers and send an email directly to the CIC Mississauga office, as has already been suggested. They are the only ones who can give you a definitive answer.

You can send an email using this link here or go to this page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...pply-after.asp and click on the link near the bottom of the page that says 'Application past processing time' - it will load directly to your email program.

You will need to include the Sponsor’s name, date of birth, and UCI Number or Application Number

Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Ginganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond reputeGinganinja has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie, I'll send off an email right away!
Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:45 am
RHC
Forum Regular

RHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really nice
Talking re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

COPR arrived in the post this morning with end of September deadline for landing. Yaay! (On-line system still says 'In Process'). Now to begin planning my exit timetable for the coming month!

Good luck to all immigration applicants!!
Old Mar 29th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

apt2208 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RHC
COPR arrived in the post this morning with end of September deadline for landing. Yaay! (On-line system still says 'In Process'). Now to begin planning my exit timetable for the coming month!

Congratulations! Did you have to sign for it?
Old Mar 29th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

canuck81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RHC

Congratulations
Old Mar 29th 2014, 12:42 pm
RHC
Forum Regular

RHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really nice

Originally Posted by apt2208
Congratulations! Did you have to sign for it?
Thanks! No I didn't sign although I'm not sure if my neighbour signed for it as it had a 'Signed For' label on the envelope.

Good luck!
Old Mar 29th 2014, 1:07 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Someone would have signed, a signature is required!
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by RHC

Congrats!!!

Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice

Hi all - please can my details be updated on the spreadsheet -

In Process on the 12/3/14 ( didn't show up on ecas until after DM )
Decision Made was actually 13/3/14
(Decision Made only appeared on ecas on the 17/3/14)
COPR arrived 28/3/14 (date-stamped 18/3/14)

A great surprise was that the COPR states : Conditions -None
Even though we have not been married for 2 years !

I don't know if this is because they were satisfied we have a "genuine and continuing relationship" or because they 'waived' the conditions because I have one son who accompanied me and one son who was non-accompanying and this would have restricted my ability to travel back to the UK to visit my son for two years ??

The other good thing is that my medicals expire end of April and we have to land by the 30th of May 2014 ! ( My son and I actually joined my Canadian husband in Canada 9 weeks ago on a 12 month visitors visa ( after a long year apart so we already have our Alberta Healthcare Cards , my son is in school and our Goods to Follow are packed and ready to ship from the UK )
We plan a weekend trip to the US to activate our PR since we are only an hour from the Border.

Wishing everyone well and Speedy Decisions for all of you still on the treadmill - I will post again when I officially Land
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Becki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond reputeBecki567 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried updating RalphStars. I have done plenty of updates with no issues but the dates are messed up. It says negative amount of days. I didn't touch the application date or spousal sponsorship date so I have no idea why it is doing that. Can another member that can edit have a look?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:45 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ralphstars
Hi all - please can my details be updated on the spreadsheet -

In Process on the 12/3/14 ( didn't show up on ecas until after DM )
Decision Made was actually 13/3/14
(Decision Made only appeared on ecas on the 17/3/14)
COPR arrived 28/3/14 (date-stamped 18/3/14)

A great surprise was that the COPR states : Conditions -None
Even though we have not been married for 2 years !

I don't know if this is because they were satisfied we have a "genuine and continuing relationship" or because they 'waived' the conditions because I have one son who accompanied me and one son who was non-accompanying and this would have restricted my ability to travel back to the UK to visit my son for two years ??

The other good thing is that my medicals expire end of April and we have to land by the 30th of May 2014 ! ( My son and I actually joined my Canadian husband in Canada 9 weeks ago on a 12 month visitors visa ( after a long year apart so we already have our Alberta Healthcare Cards , my son is in school and our Goods to Follow are packed and ready to ship from the UK )
We plan a weekend trip to the US to activate our PR since we are only an hour from the Border.

Wishing everyone well and Speedy Decisions for all of you still on the treadmill - I will post again when I officially Land
Updated your line!! Becki - when that happens check the years, sometimes if the wrong year is in the formulas go bonkers.

They would not have given you PR if the had doubts about your relationship, regardless of your children. Obviously if you have kids then it's another indication of your relationship, but lots of people have convenience kids or whatever you want to call them. (In fact, if you read some of the appeals cases on CANLII, it's stated clearly there that "having children together does not necessarily guarantee a genuine relationship".)

Anyways, glad it's all sorted - and nice that they gave you the extra month to land! They are known to do that sometimes if timescales are going to be very tight, so they must have felt comfortable enough with your medical results to give you an extra 4 weeks. Very nice in any case!

Hope your landing goes smoothly, all the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.