Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Sep 17th 2012, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

CanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of lightCanAngel is a glorious beacon of light
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by GS1
Congrats to you CanAngel - excellent news, im just wondering looking at your timeline, the sponser was approved around the same time or mine even before yours, but how come yours has been approved b4? did you have a special case? Im kind of getting worried?
Honestly I don't know... We also had to wait for a Quebec Selection certificate after sponsor approval, which we received at the end of July. London VO would have received it at about the same time. Aug 10th they asked us to rewrite one of the questions on the PR application as well, and that was mailed in the next day. I was really surprised at how fast it all went after that. We were hoping to have decision made in October, so were ecstatic and taken by surprise when it got approved this fast.

Perhaps the applications from Quebec are on a separate pile since there is the additional requirement of the Quebec approval? The application cannot be processed by the london VO until they receive the certificate from Quebec? That's only a guess though...

No other special circumstances, except perhaps there is no dependent on his part so it was just him to get PR?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 4:37 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations CanAngel, it all starts proper now.
Come on London........We want more of the same!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:23 am
Just Joined

toniwharton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can tell me? I applied for PR Family Class Sponsor through Missisagua, then London, as at the time of my application I was living in the UK. Sponsorship was approved on 25th August ish. However my family and I have since moved to Toronto (hubby and kids Canadian, obviously I am only a "visitor" at present. I know I need to let them know change of contact details (although the UK address they have is redirecting to my parents add so we would be made aware of any correspondence immediately anyway. But when I do let them know change of add to Canada, is that likely at this stage to change the processing time of the application? I understand that PR app from within Canada takes significantly longer and we would struggle to wait that long on one salary! I'm guessing because the app has now been received in London they will just process it there without any changes? Any advice gratefully received.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:34 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It is unlikely to affect the processing time which, unless you have been a world traveler will not be much longer.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:22 am
GS1
Forum Regular

GS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by toniwharton
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can tell me? I applied for PR Family Class Sponsor through Missisagua, then London, as at the time of my application I was living in the UK. Sponsorship was approved on 25th August ish. However my family and I have since moved to Toronto (hubby and kids Canadian, obviously I am only a "visitor" at present. I know I need to let them know change of contact details (although the UK address they have is redirecting to my parents add so we would be made aware of any correspondence immediately anyway. But when I do let them know change of add to Canada, is that likely at this stage to change the processing time of the application? I understand that PR app from within Canada takes significantly longer and we would struggle to wait that long on one salary! I'm guessing because the app has now been received in London they will just process it there without any changes? Any advice gratefully received.
Hi Toni, Im wondering on what basis have you gone to Canada, I know you said visitor, but was is the difference of going as a visitor as an oppose to having full PR? Did the border control in canada ask you any questions when you tried to get into canada?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Screenwriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone.

Sponsorship was approved July 13th. So we are waiting on COPR any day now. I am returning to Vancouver from London tomorrow and just wondered what documentation I should take with me and also which immigration route do I take once I get to the other side?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GS1
Hi Toni, Im wondering on what basis have you gone to Canada, I know you said visitor, but was is the difference of going as a visitor as an oppose to having full PR? Did the border control in canada ask you any questions when you tried to get into canada?
If going as a visitor and accompanying your Canadian spouse then you cannot work as a visitor until PR determination is made unless you apply for a job via the other routes that are mentioned such as LMO etc.
A visitor record is issued until sponsorship is completed and COPRs issued.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

UKCamaroSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Screenwriter
Hello everyone.

Sponsorship was approved July 13th. So we are waiting on COPR any day now. I am returning to Vancouver from London tomorrow and just wondered what documentation I should take with me and also which immigration route do I take once I get to the other side?
Sorry to jump in on your question, but I too would like to know the answer to this. My wife (British) and myself (Canadian) arrive in Calgary on Oct 02nd and my wife will be entering as a visitor... Not sure if we both go to passport control in the Canadian line using my Canadian passport and then say I am a returning Canadian etc, or if we have to go in separate lines. I will be taking a copy of our spousal application and goods to follow list.
Also, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to pass through passport control in this circumstance? We have friends picking us up and I have said to allow 1 hour extra for this process...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCamaroSS
Sorry to jump in on your question, but I too would like to know the answer to this. My wife (British) and myself (Canadian) arrive in Calgary on Oct 02nd and my wife will be entering as a visitor... Not sure if we both go to passport control in the Canadian line using my Canadian passport and then say I am a returning Canadian etc, or if we have to go in separate lines. I will be taking a copy of our spousal application and goods to follow list.
Also, does anyone know roughly how long it takes to pass through passport control in this circumstance? We have friends picking us up and I have said to allow 1 hour extra for this process...
I believe Calgary does not have seperate lines for residents or non residents and as you will be travelling on the same declaration card it really doesnt matter which line you are in.
Depending on the time of day and how busy they are in both Customs and Immigration then an hour could be fine or not. As long as they know you are on the plane and it has landed then a good friend will wait for you knowing that you have arrived just in case it takes 2 hours to clear.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

UKCamaroSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I believe Calgary does not have seperate lines for residents or non residents and as you will be travelling on the same declaration card it really doesnt matter which line you are in.
Depending on the time of day and how busy they are in both Customs and Immigration then an hour could be fine or not. As long as they know you are on the plane and it has landed then a good friend will wait for you knowing that you have arrived just in case it takes 2 hours to clear.
Thank you Former Lancastrian!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

They were really good with us at passport control and it only took 5 more minutes. What took us some time was customs and that was because we did not total up all our individual item values on our goods to follow list so the officer went through it all with a calculator. in total only an extra 45 mins or so
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GS1
hi,

the only difference is I cannot work and I am permitted to stay only for 6 months. if my PR Card hasnt arrived by then i have to apply for an extension. Other than that they were really good with us. We expected a lot of suspicious questions and took lots of paperwork, but they were great. never asked us any questions really and even told us we can apply to extend the 6 months so that i dont have to flagpole!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It is unlikely to affect the processing time which, unless you have been a world traveler will not be much longer.
Thank you
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

JessicaH is an unknown quantity at this point

Calgary does have separate lines for residents and non residents but in my experience it doesn't really matter which you pick as long as you go through together. I haven't done it in exactly the same circumstances as you but have done it in fairly similar circumstances. At the time we were unsure what to do but it all worked out.

We were returning from a vacation in England which coincided with my British husband needing to activate his new LMO based work permit (his previous one had just expired). We weren't sure where to head at the Calgary immigration line so we just picked the shortest one and went through together (I think it was the Canadian line but not 100%) - explaining we were travelling together but entering on a Canadian Passport and work permit respectively, and the guy just processed us together with no fuss.

As for timings make sure you hotfoot it from the plane through to the immigration hall - the quicker you move the more people you'll have behind you instead of ahead of you.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

ashleyi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! Funny you should mention what happens when you land in Canada, we have been talking about this ourselves! My partner (british) and I (Canadian) are currently living in the UK, and will be here until we get a decision. We may need to travel to Canada separately for the big move, will it cause any problems for him? Or is it better for us to travel together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.