British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Timeline - FSW application to CIO in Sydney, NS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/timeline-fsw-application-cio-sydney-ns-621358/)

Salmanizak Oct 21st 2010 4:05 am

Re: Timeline - FSW application to CIO in Sydney, NS

Originally Posted by Kaye5 (Post 8930884)
Ah, just read the other thread - new checklist versus old checklist requirements.

The only problem I can see with using the old checklist is that it doesn't mention the "Your Travels" form which has snuck in on the new checklist. I think I'm going to use the new checklist and put in a letter (as you suggest in the other thread) saying I've put in a Statement re Language Proficiency as pre-whatever-the-date-of-change was and also include the Your Travels form. No idea if that is or isn't needed for pre-June applicants, but it's an easy one for us to fill in so no point in missing it out.

Unless anyone knows anything else about the Your Travels form?

I probably have the old checklist at home, so can pdf it tomorrow if no-one else comes up with it and you decide to go with the old one.

I second you here; proceed with the Letter for English and send your travels history on the Supplementary Travels form.

What I would suggest is that if it is convenient and affordable for you, you may attempt the IELTS after sending your 120 day mail. Seems a foolish idea, but you can update your file by sending the result card afterwards; just a choice towards reassuring all goes in the right way :cool:

Salmanizak Oct 21st 2010 4:15 am

Originally Posted by LMBrian (Post 8931953)
Just got the 120 day e-mail...............:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:: thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats; All of you! This calls a celebration hip hip hurray . . . . :D

Best of Luck for the Others Waiting!!!

kat-b Oct 21st 2010 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Kaye5 (Post 8930293)
;) ha ha, you're going to be sorry you offered... I always have questions!

Q1 - do we need to reprint blank signature pages and resign and redate? Mentions "original" signatures, or do we just send copies of all the forms (signed in April) as they were when submitted to CIO?

Q2 - if English is mother tongue, do we need to do English Language Testing? We have prepared a Written Statement, which was what was requested when we applied. Website has been updated and I can't find reference for those who applied before the rule changes requiring everyone to take the tests.

(Sorry if these have been answered before!)

I'm sure I will have more, as we go through the pile of documents.....

Hi

Just thought I'd jump in too. I sent full docs to London in September. I spent ages debating this too and freaking out as I was confused about the signature and the English test (native speaker). I used a fresh signature dated September and sent a written submission (with extra evidence to back it up- school certificates etc). I also sent the supplementary travels form. I still had the old checklist which I believe did have the supplementary travels form (maybe not! ).

Good luck everyone!

kat

witchileiz Oct 21st 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by kat-b (Post 8932944)
Hi

Just thought I'd jump in too. I sent full docs to London in September. I spent ages debating this too and freaking out as I was confused about the signature and the English test (native speaker). I used a fresh signature dated September and sent a written submission (with extra evidence to back it up- school certificates etc). I also sent the supplementary travels form. I still had the old checklist which I believe did have the supplementary travels form (maybe not! ).

Good luck everyone!

kat

Thanks for that Kat - I think that is the way to go - it all sounds so obvious ...UNTIL you get the email and start (mis?)reading the instructions!

Bucks_Family Oct 21st 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by kat-b (Post 8932944)
Hi

Good luck everyone!

kat

We got our 120 day letter in March this year, and the checklist in force then was the October 2009 one, which did NOT mention the supplementary travels form. IMHO that form need only be supplied if you are a post-June 26th applicant, like the IELTs certificate.
I'm very lucky I didn't have to submit the travels forms, both my wife and I travel extensively for work and that form would have been by far the hardest one to complete, phew.

kat-b Oct 21st 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 8932988)
We got our 120 day letter in March this year, and the checklist in force then was the October 2009 one, which did NOT mention the supplementary travels form. IMHO that form need only be supplied if you are a post-June 26th applicant, like the IELTs certificate.
I'm very lucky I didn't have to submit the travels forms, both my wife and I travel extensively for work and that form would have been by far the hardest one to complete, phew.

Oh nooooo! I'm upset about that as the travels form was an absolute nightmare for me as I have spent a lot of time abroad doing not very much! :-) I wish I'd known that as feel as if it might cause me some problems! :-( Its really not that obvious from the website what we have to do!

Did you receive your aor from London yet?

Thanks
Katie

kat-b Oct 21st 2010 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 8932988)

Oops ignore above I see your timeline :-)

Kaye5 Oct 21st 2010 12:29 pm

We are now having trouble with past (and current) employers.

I work for law firms, so have got them to send me copy contracts, certified by lawyers as true copies (is that the right thing to do? the guidance asks for NOTARISED copy contracts, which is something totally different in England).

My OH, however, has worked for agencies and schools. There is no way they will get a copy of his contract and head off to a lawyer to get it certified as a true copy (or notarised for that matter). He has an original of his current contract, which is the crucial one (or he can get it from his HR). Can he just copy this and get it certified as a true copy?

I am confused as to what they mean by "notarised" contracts (I thought that was a notary confirming the ID of the parties to the contract).

What has everyone else done?

witchileiz Oct 21st 2010 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kaye5 (Post 8933321)

I work for law firms, so have got them to send me copy contracts, certified by lawyers as true copies (is that the right thing to do? the guidance asks for NOTARISED copy contracts, which is something totally different in England).

My OH, however, has worked for agencies and schools. There is no way they will get a copy of his contract and head off to a lawyer to get it certified as a true copy (or notarised for that matter). He has an original of his current contract, which is the crucial one (or he can get it from his HR). Can he just copy this and get it certified as a true copy?

I am confused as to what they mean by "notarised" contracts (I thought that was a notary confirming the ID of the parties to the contract).

Kaye5 - there are quite a few threads on this forum about whether to notarise or not - many haven't bothered at all, so I would certainly say a certified copy is OK - doesn't the form state that only the University transcripts have to be originals, and that all else can be copies? Forgive me if I'm wrong on that, but I am sure that is what I read at the top of the checklist...

Bucks_Family Oct 21st 2010 1:06 pm

We didn't notarise anything, just used the Post Office to certify the copies as true copies of the original http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...iaId=105000818
(obviously the Uni transcripts & police certificates were originals)

Kaye5 Oct 21st 2010 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family (Post 8933390)
We didn't notarise anything, just used the Post Office to certify the copies as true copies of the original http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...iaId=105000818
(obviously the Uni transcripts & police certificates were originals)

Thanks everyone - yes, it is the distinction between certifying and notarising that is confusing. It says at the start of the instructions to send "notarized" copies which I am fairly sure that means certifying. But then it says in the employment section send "notarized contracts" which to me suggests notarizing rather than cerified copies. Having said that, I doubt that in reality everyone has done that, so they must mean (or at least accept) certified copies.

Sorry, there are so many areas of apparent inconsistency, and no definite answers!

Salmanizak Oct 22nd 2010 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Kaye5 (Post 8934409)
Thanks everyone - yes, it is the distinction between certifying and notarising that is confusing. It says at the start of the instructions to send "notarized" copies which I am fairly sure that means certifying. But then it says in the employment section send "notarized contracts" which to me suggests notarizing rather than cerified copies. Having said that, I doubt that in reality everyone has done that, so they must mean (or at least accept) certified copies.

Sorry, there are so many areas of apparent inconsistency, and no definite answers!

Hi Friend,

I don't know how exactly it will work out for UK, but as a rule of thumb any copies for 'important' documents should be notarized (oathed to be true copies in front of a designated Notary Public who then signs and stamps your document for attestification; at some places puts an extra verification cover letter with his statement and contact details). I understand things are not that complicated there in the West, but still any chances of fordgery are needed to be completely eliminated.

May be if you can share the exact Notarification procedure for UK, I can give further inputs how to manage it for your contract documents. On the other hand if you can spare or afford, why not sending the contracts in original? I was confused here as well and finally sent all my contracts, employment letters along with up-to-date reference letters ALL in original.

Hope this helps, rather then confusing (you or others) further :o

Salmanizak Oct 22nd 2010 3:57 am

Certified by 'Lawyers' with their contact details will be sufficient, at least per my opinion!

Salmanizak Oct 22nd 2010 4:01 am

For your OH, can you share his job titles with period he held during past 10 years (you can exactly from his Schedule 1 forms)

Salmanizak Oct 22nd 2010 4:09 am

Originally Posted by kat-b (Post 8933188)
Oh nooooo! I'm upset about that as the travels form was an absolute nightmare for me as I have spent a lot of time abroad doing not very much! :-) I wish I'd known that as feel as if it might cause me some problems! :-( Its really not that obvious from the website what we have to do!

Did you receive your aor from London yet?

Thanks
Katie

Doing not very much, and doing something not legitimate/appropriate are 2 different things :cool: they are looking for the latter by the way! So unless you were not involved or have mentioned something suspicious in the forms, or your passport carries something like that; you don't need to worry.

Place of visit is most critical; they likeably will only bother much about your activities there in case of a longer stay. If the trips were short lived, no worries at all. I hope you have provided all details.

Chill out and forget about your file now till the AOR is there :thumbup: