IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Old Dec 10th 2011, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

david-hughes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

I've been looking into applying for this and I'm just wondering are there any restrictions on the work you are able to do like the Australian working holiday visa? e.g. maximum of 6 months work with the one employer and are you able to extend your iec for a second year or do you need to reapply?
Old Dec 10th 2011, 11:48 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by david-hughes
I've been looking into applying for this and I'm just wondering are there any restrictions on the work you are able to do like the Australian working holiday visa? e.g. maximum of 6 months work with the one employer and are you able to extend your iec for a second year or do you need to reapply?
There's no restrictions except that you're not allowed to work in health care or with children if you didn't take your medical. Aside from that you can work for who you want for as long as you want.

And no, you can't extend your IEC for a 2nd year, you have to reapply to the programme for a second time, and then exit and re-enter Canada to get your 2nd work permit.

Cat
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:47 am
Just Joined

david-hughes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by catpea33
There's no restrictions except that you're not allowed to work in health care or with children if you didn't take your medical. Aside from that you can work for who you want for as long as you want.

And no, you can't extend your IEC for a 2nd year, you have to reapply to the programme for a second time, and then exit and re-enter Canada to get your 2nd work permit.

Cat
Thanks Cat, I've done a bit of reading and found that from working in the oil and gas industry in Alberta, I would qualify for semi skilled permanent resident sponsorship anyway which is good news, before I get ahead of myself though I'm going to apply for IEC and see how well I like it.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point

With reference the CV required:

"A complete and up-to-date version of your Curriculum Vitae. Specify the dates (month, year) and locations (city, country) of all your study, work, and travel experiences over the last five years."

By travel, surely that isn't referring to holidays? Also. I've not done any study in the last five years so do I omit qualifications completely? Using the word "complete" and then "five years" seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Last edited by twohoots; Dec 12th 2011 at 9:27 am.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twohoots

"A complete and up-to-date version of your Curriculum Vitae. Specify the dates (month, year) and locations (city, country) of all your study, work, and travel experiences over the last five years."

By travel, surely that isn't referring to holidays? Also. I've not done any study in the last five years so do I omit qualifications completely? Using the word "complete" and then "five years" seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing though i think they must mean travel experiences as in other gap year holidays that you have taken , i doubt they are asking about vacation holidays that have lasted a few weeks ?

Hopefully somebody else can clarify ?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:20 am
Fingers Crossed...

freddiethebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question re holidays - and if we don't have to put them, how long constitutes a holiday?

Secondly, is anybody on here trying to get hold of police check certificates from Italy? I did my year abroad from Uni there, but am already regretting it - getting paperwork from Rome isn't something I'm expecting to happen quickly, and not sure there are even forms out there...
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

I've sent them an email asking for clarification, if I hear anything back, I'll let you all know.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You can keep the CV brief, I have been through this process twice now and only ever submitted a single page saying where I worked and when. They don't need to know the in's and out's because you are not going there as a skilled worker anyway.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's helpful. I was thinking it would probably be best to get it down to a single side of A4, do you think that would make sense?
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's helpful. I was thinking it would probably be best to get it down to a single side of A4, do you think that would make sense?
The first time around for me (through Bunac) they insisted on no more than 1 side of A4 and said they would return it if I provided anything more than that so then I just provided exactly the same thing when I applied again last year directly through the IEC and they accepted it without any quibble.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Brilliant.

Couple more questions if I may.. Did you include "travel" in your CV? And, did you just cover just the last five years? I was planning to list all qualifications, (I haven't got many) and then five years of work experience. I'm assuming personal statement etc isn't really of much interest to them.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 6:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Brilliant.

Couple more questions if I may.. Did you include "travel" in your CV? And, did you just cover just the last five years? I was planning to list all qualifications, (I haven't got many) and then five years of work experience. I'm assuming personal statement etc isn't really of much interest to them.
Well I didn't no because I hadn't really travelled extensively at all at that point in recent years, other than a couple of short trips to Europe and Asia, and in fact I still haven't, I have worked pretty much solidly every day since arriving in Canada earlier this year other than a one week holiday at the end of the summer.

My resume was really just a cut down version of my usual one, with my employment history for the last 5 years including only the job title, the name of the company and during which periods I was there. If you've been backpacking or something in the last few years then your case may need to be a little different though but I honestly don't think that it matters all that much.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:15 am
Fingers Crossed...

freddiethebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

As I lived in Rome for 9 months, as part of my university course, I've had to get hold of Police Certificates from Rome. Supposedley they're in the post (fingers crossed).

Has anybody here had to get a translation done - and which companies did you use? It says on the IEC site that it has to be done by an 'accredited translator' but no more details. Do they need it stamped? Notarised?

Has anybody done it before?

Cheers,

Fred
Old Dec 19th 2011, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

It has officially opened!

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...de.aspx?view=d

And just a reminder, we have an IEC 2012 Facebook group, please feel free to join, the more the merrier.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

With regards to travel experiences ive been on holiday a few times but no more than 2 weeks a time i assume what they mean by travel experience is those who have been away for a couple of months ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.