IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Old Oct 6th 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

There seems to be a few threads popping up now from people looking to apply for the IEC in 2012, so I thought it might be useful to get a topic going.

In the last couple of days, the official IEC page has been updated with the option to register your email address to receive news and updates about next year's scheme, (see Links section below), so it looks like things have officially started moving. This year's quota of 5,000 places were filled by around August time and it's probably safe to assume they will go quickly again next year. Hopefully we'll soon start seeing some details appearing, so that we can start preparing.

So, who's hoping to go?

Links:

Register Email Address for IEC 2012
Official International Experience Canada Site
British Expats 2011 IEC Thread

(I'm not sure if the board supports it, but if it is possible, I was thinking it would be useful to keep this first post updated with an FAQ and useful links etc. Perhaps a mod could advise on that? I've got a feeling a post can't be edited after a certain period).
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Chrismaciii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Definitely hoping to go. Started saving now - though it is difficult when living in London!

Plan to apply as soon as possible early in the year, with the intention of heading out there around this time next year.

I've been advised it opens January, takes about 2 months or so to get the visa and then you have a year to enter Canada.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

That's probably the time scale I'll be working to as well, though it would be nice to get out sooner if at all possible. Any idea which part you'll be heading to? Think I'm set on starting in Vancouver, then depending how that works out, aim towards Toronto.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Declan-Davies is an unknown quantity at this point

Im hoping to go around next spring! Saving already and planning a few different places to go and check out.

I plan to apply as soon as the application is released! - does anybody know the chances for getting accepted or is it a first come first serve basis?

Also is it best to book flights sooner or later? I guess without knowing if you are going to be accepted it will have to be later... meaning pricier

Wanting to do a few months in Vancouver and then hit up whistler for the mountain biking season
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

It's very much first come, first served, so if you apply early on, you should be fine. I think the key is getting organised and most importantly double check all paperwork before sending it off, as they are rather (some what understandably) fussy. The fact it can take a few months or more to turn around the visa, one little mistake could be costly.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

mycityjungle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, I was wondering - does it make you more eligible to get a work permit/job in Canada if you do this scheme? I did the online test about my eligibility for a work permit and some of the questions asked about whether I had previous work experience in Canada.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

I have been wondering that myself. I *think* it only counts if you've had two plus years of continuous work in a more professional role, so bar work etc. wouldn't count. I'm not at all sure though really!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twohoots
I have been wondering that myself. I *think* it only counts if you've had two plus years of continuous work in a more professional role, so bar work etc. wouldn't count. I'm not at all sure though really!
Ah I hope not Thanks for your two cents
Old Oct 8th 2011, 6:57 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mycityjungle
Hi guys, I was wondering - does it make you more eligible to get a work permit/job in Canada if you do this scheme? I did the online test about my eligibility for a work permit and some of the questions asked about whether I had previous work experience in Canada.
Your routes for continuing to work in Canada if you are there on an IEC WHP are:

1. Get an LMO through your employer, then a standard TWP, then apply for PR through FSW (assuming you are in a professional job i.e. NOC 0, A or B)

2. Look into provincial nomination in whichever province you end up in. This allows you to apply for PR and continue to work on a TWP whilst this is processed.

Essentially though there will be a need to prove that a Canadian cannot do the job - the major advantage the IEC WHP affords you is the ability to already prove your worth to an employer.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BTJ
Your routes for continuing to work in Canada if you are there on an IEC WHP are:

1. Get an LMO through your employer, then a standard TWP, then apply for PR through FSW (assuming you are in a professional job i.e. NOC 0, A or B)

2. Look into provincial nomination in whichever province you end up in. This allows you to apply for PR and continue to work on a TWP whilst this is processed.

Essentially though there will be a need to prove that a Canadian cannot do the job - the major advantage the IEC WHP affords you is the ability to already prove your worth to an employer.
Wow thank you, that was very informative! I'm trying route 1 as I am of a profession (occupational psychologist!)
Old Oct 8th 2011, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mycityjungle
Wow thank you, that was very informative! I'm trying route 1 as I am of a profession (occupational psychologist!)
Assume you know that psychologists are on the list of 29 eligible occupations for a FSW visa? You wouldn't need a job offer for that route if you are eligible.

Old Oct 8th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Assume you know that psychologists are on the list of 29 eligible occupations for a FSW visa? You wouldn't need a job offer for that route if you are eligible.

Wow, no I didn't! Just looked it up
http://www.visabureau.com/canada/psy...bs-canada.aspx

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for the double post but:

I got 65 points on the Skilled Occupation questionnaire and got this message:

Any offer of employment you receive must be approved by the HRSDC (Canadian Department of Labour) before you can take it up. This involves the employer going through an application process that can take around 3 months and at the end of this process the employer will need to have secured a positive 'LMO' or 'AEO'.

Typically you would first enter Canada with a work permit and once working apply for your full residence. As an alternative pathway, your employer could apply for you to work for them via the 'PNP' scheme which is a provincial migration programme.

So I would apply via a work permit and wouldn't need a job prior to getting there as I could arrive there and then search? Does this also mean if I found full-time, permanent employment in Canada under a permit that the employer wouldn't have to prove there were no able Canadian citizens? Or does that apply?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, in which case I'm afraid you're not eligible as a FSW, despite working in one of the eligible occupations - 67 is the minimum score to qualify.

So you'd need a job offer to boost your points, and are therefore back to Plan A and an IEC visa! Sorry to get your hopes up.

Also, for immigration info, do go to the proper website, www.cic.gc.ca, not visa bureau's website as they're not known for their accurate info or advice.

Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Villa Lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

First post here . Hoping someone will be able to help on a question I have.

I'm looking to apply for the IEC in 2012. I'm going travelling in South America and United States from March for a few months and then into Canada as a tourist for about a month before returning to the UK in August for a couple of months (Brother's wedding and a few other things).

If I apply for a working holiday visa in January and it's granted in say March/April....Will I be able to go into Canada as a tourist and not activate the working holiday visa? I want to go in as a tourist in July go back to UK in August and then return to Canada and activate it in October. I don't want to lose a couple of months from the working holiday visa while i'm back in UK.

I know I can apply for a Visa while in Canada as a tourist but don't really want to risk missing out on the allocation as they will be running out around then.

Any help/advice would be great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.