IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Felixfinch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IEC 2012 - Time to get Organised!

Originally Posted by jg2802
I'm applying for my police check soon. The address I'm applying for it will be different to the address I give in January for my visa. Or should I give the police check address? Will iec have to send anything to what will then be my old address?
Well the IEC program will need your current address to send your LOI to.

As far as the police check goes I can't quite remember but I think they will want your address history for the last x years, obviously including your current address.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Felixfinch
Well the IEC program will need your current address to send your LOI to.

As far as the police check goes I can't quite remember but I think they will want your address history for the last x years, obviously including your current address.
i thought the LOI was by email? their website says something about chaning your email settings to allow their address or to check your junk mail folder as they will be sending the LOI's via email
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Felixfinch
Well I hope it doesn't take 6 months as I'll run out of money! I've always found it quite easy to get a job in the UK, is it really that bad?
From what I understand (I've never job hunted in Canada, and my husband was transferred to he never needed to either), you shouldn't underestimate the whole 'who you know' thing in Canada, it's a very different employment environment over there - have you read the Job Hunting Section of the Wiki to understand how much you need to network?

I'd suggest a quick search of the forum to discover how others job searches have gone - plenty took several months to find work on last year's program, and even those with PR have taken a year or so to find a job (any job, not just one in their industry).

Don't You might well walk straight in to a job, and I hope you do, but don't forget you'll be competing with all the out of work Canadians, and a lot of employers will be reluctant to employ you if you can only work for them for a year max. Just better to be prepared for the worst case scenario, and understand how the hiring culture goes over there, and then hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised when you walk in to your dream job after 48 hours!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 22nd 2011 at 5:23 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 5:44 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

i thought the LOI was by email?
It definitely is. I got an email for the programme this year and I doubt it'll change for next year.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Anyone have any thoughts on what the proposed changes for the IEC 2012 will be???? I understand they will be processed in London but any thoughts on how much they may change the process?

Tim
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BTJ
Your routes for continuing to work in Canada if you are there on an IEC WHP are:

1. Get an LMO through your employer, then a standard TWP, then apply for PR through FSW (assuming you are in a professional job i.e. NOC 0, A or B)

2. Look into provincial nomination in whichever province you end up in. This allows you to apply for PR and continue to work on a TWP whilst this is processed.

Essentially though there will be a need to prove that a Canadian cannot do the job - the major advantage the IEC WHP affords you is the ability to already prove your worth to an employer.

Hi BTJ

Usefull advice wondering if you or anyone can confirm or advise me on something similar.

I have years of experience in IT sector. There is no job that i could do in the list of 19 but i do fall in the Noc A or B category.

I am going in January 2012 as a tourist and will activate my WHV (latest March) with or without a secured job.

I have done the points test previously and got 67 points.

1) What visa options do i have to extend my stay?

2) Is there a risk that an application to stay longer will not be complete before my WHV expires?

I have loved Canada since i was a child and with many friends and family connections there I have never wanted to settle anywhere else. Being 31 now I have decided its now or never.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

So I thought fromt his year BUNAC werent having an allocation of the IEC visas? but Canadian government website says that BUNAC will have an allocation until 2013.

So is it worth paying extra and going with BUNAC to secure a place? I will be applying in January as soon as they come out and will have my funds and police check ready to send off, so do I probably not need to use BUNAC?
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

So I thought fromt his year BUNAC werent having an allocation of the IEC visas? but Canadian government website says that BUNAC will have an allocation until 2013.

So is it worth paying extra and going with BUNAC to secure a place? I will be applying in January as soon as they come out and will have my funds and police check ready to send off, so do I probably not need to use BUNAC?
Nah it was always 2013. My advice currently is don't bother with BUNAC
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

BobbyN will become famous soon enoughBobbyN will become famous soon enough

I paid an extra £250 ( i think ) which tbh is not worth it because i will not use BUNAC for any other services. The job offer stuff i get my mail is all ski resort, forest resort type stuff. Not sure if there are other perks to them but as said already apply as soon as the visas come out and its a 1st come and 1st serve.
I only went with BUNAC because I was 30 and was my last chance to apply so i didnt want to take a risk.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it too early to do the ACPO check now ? , im just thinking about christmas post ?

Does the IEC visa application process start in january or has it been known to start in december too ?
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they like the police check to be from within the last three months, so in theory, it would be quite safe to do now. I'm going to hold out a little longer, from the wording on the IEC website, it looks like they'll be announcing the opening date in advance, so as soon as that's known, I'll be sending off for the ACPO.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:57 pm
Fingers Crossed...

freddiethebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I'm new to this, and planning on moving out asap.

Firstly, in response to Police Check - on the IEC website it says "The police certificate you obtained... ...is valid for 12 calendar months from the time of issue." I already have mine and in theory it's clear for a year.

Secondly, there seems to be loads of chat about the visa application opening in January, but a few people seem to think it might open soon, and it seemed from stuff on the website that it might open this fall - I saw somebody mention it would open at the end of November - does anybody know, for definite, when, and if so, how do you know?

Thirdly, is there anyway to move out on holiday, while waiting for the IEC to be e-mailed, and then just cross over into USA, and back in, reentering on your IEC?

My girlfriend lives in Vancouver (is Canadian) and I want to get out there asap!

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

twohoots is an unknown quantity at this point

In answer to your second question, it's just speculation at this point. IEC 2011 opened up in January so there's a reasonable chance it might be the same time next year.

Pretty sure you can go there on a tourist visa, then once you get your working visa, you can leave / re-enter on the American border (flagpoling) to activate it.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:43 pm
Fingers Crossed...

freddiethebrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers! I'm going to hold out hope then and cross everything that it might open earlier...

F
Old Oct 31st 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

leafsfan1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What type of job is everybody looking to do over there ?

This question i have may of been asked previously but i cant find the thread , but i recall on someone in the forum saying you cant do jobs that require's you to take a medical exam.

On the UK IEC FAQ page one of the questions is

Medical Examination and Insurance
Do I need a medical examination? Can you send me a list of designated medical practitioners?

A medical examination is not generally required of persons residing in the United Kingdom. However, persons residing in the United Kingdom who are destined for occupations for which the protection of public health is essential must pass a medical examination. This includes working in hospitals or healthcare facilities, and working with children such as teachers and care providers. Food handlers are not included in this group and a medical examination would therefore not usually be required. If you have answered in the positive to questions 7 on your IEC application form, you may also be instructed to complete a medical examination.

If a medical examination is required, then the Visa Section at the High Commission of Canada to the UK will send you the appropriate form, instructions, and a link to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website where you can review a list of approved practitioners. Please note you need to allow extra time for processing your application in cases where a medical examination is required.

The work i am looking to do is labourer work in the oil tar sands or maybe in forestry or logging , Ive seen on some jobs going online that some of these positions require a medical exam , drugs test.

..I assume its ok to go for these jobs i mentioned then , its just jobs that require the protection of public health , am i right ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.