Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: The recipe thread

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I recently made a trip to Dubai and came back with lots of curry powders and spices. I am a big fan or tumeric. Do Hungarians use tumeric in any of their dishes? I gave some to a Hungarian friend to use in her rice and she is now a convert.
My good Hungarian friends here in New Zealand do.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:57 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you might like this one Pol. Our village shop even sells tumeric and I know none of them cook curry. As the shop only ever stocks items which sell on a regular basis, there must be some "secret" use for it hmm, I wonder if Fen's wife knows.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:59 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
My good Hungarian friends here in New Zealand do.
Do you know if they only use it to colour rice or do they cook with it Bevs?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Lady Zelda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a million Rich.
LZ x
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Do you know if they only use it to colour rice or do they cook with it Bevs?
It's in the cooking AFAIK. Never seen coloured rice.They think it has good properties.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lady Zelda
Thanks a million Rich.
LZ x
szívesen
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

I recently made a trip to Dubai and came back with lots of curry powders and spices. I am a big fan or tumeric. Do Hungarians use tumeric in any of their dishes? I gave some to a Hungarian friend to use in her rice and she is now a convert.
Tumeric is a natural antiseptic I believe.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:17 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by BEVS
It's in the cooking AFAIK. Never seen coloured rice.They think it has good properties.
That's along the lines I'm thinking. Tumeric has many good properties, one is supposed to be as a cure/relief for arthritis, inflammation and the like. Wondering if the older villagers use it during the winter as a medicinal aid.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

In Hungary the Turmeric is known as Kurkuma, or Indian Saffron or Thai tulip.

It is mainly used here in food colouring salamis, pates, crisps, margarine, etc, and it is used mainly in medicine with its anti-inflammatory and anti bacterial qualities.

I have never known anybody who used Turmeric in the Hungarian cooking. I only started using myself when I moved to the UK and started experimenting with Indian cooking.

LZ x
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you might like this one Pol. Our village shop even sells tumeric and I know none of them cook curry. As the shop only ever stocks items which sell on a regular basis, there must be some "secret" use for it hmm, I wonder if Fen's wife knows.
I'll ask her .....
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Cheers Fen, I know a couple of people who use it in their batter mix to give a richer colour, might just be that When we first mistakenly bought a packet, we were surprised due to the lack of availability of other spices.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers Fen, I know a couple of people who use it in their batter mix to give a richer colour, might just be that When we first mistakenly bought a packet, we were surprised due to the lack of availability of other spices.
Yes, I was surprised at the lack of availability of other spices, hence why I stocked up in Dubai.

Thanks Fen also
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

There are lots of Asian herbs and spices, Ladies, you just have to buy them in special stores in Budapest.

Tesco used to sell lots of Indian spices, including Garam masala paste, but they discontinued it a few years ago as nobody was interested in the Indian cuisine. I actually spoke to the Director about it once, as I used to buy it for making Onion Bhajis and other dishes then suddenly they stopped selling it, therefore I wanted to know.

If you need Indian spices, Austria is just near the corner. They sell everything Polgardi . Wow, you sound like the original Spice Girls! Long way to go just for some spices! I struggle to drive to Aldi!
LZ x

I hope it helps.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Yes, I was surprised at the lack of availability of other spices, hence why I stocked up in Dubai.

Thanks Fen also
Yes, grab them while you can - a holiday combined with catching up with friends and the bonus of a shopping trip! I wouldn't mind a visit to the Moroccan souks, the spice stalls in the medinas are quite amazing. It's the ones such as fenugreek seeds, methi, ajwain and the like which are difficult to find though fortunately, they last as I don't use them very often.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, grab them while you can - a holiday combined with catching up with friends and the bonus of a shopping trip! I wouldn't mind a visit to the Moroccan souks, the spice stalls in the medinas are quite amazing. It's the ones such as fenugreek seeds, methi, ajwain and the like which are difficult to find though fortunately, they last as I don't use them very often.
I did...I did :-) I loved the spice souk....you could smell it before you saw it. I bought so many different types of spices and some things I didn't even know what they were. I just bung them all in the curry...love it. Unfortunately my herbs and spices don't last. I have even kept back a spice bottle set which was supposed to be a gift for a friend (don't worry, I gave them something else). I am not that mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.