Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The recipe thread

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I admit I didn't know what you guys were on about and had to google pickled walnuts...I was thinking 'eh? the walnuts are not ripe yet'...I didn't realise you used the green ones. So, do I just put them in a jar with vinegar in? It seems to simple even for me
Haha, a bit more to it than that but not at all difficult.
  1. Pick your walnuts and piece each one a few times
  2. Put into a bucket or large bowl
  3. Cover with water and add salt to make a brine, I use about 70g of salt per litre of water
  4. Leave for 5-7 days, drain, add fresh brine, as above and leave for a further 5-7 days
  5. Put enough vinegar (not the paint stripper in the green bottles) in a pot and add sugar, depending on how sweet you want it to be - you can leave the sugar out if you prefer - I slightly sweeten the vinegar to take the edge off the acidity. You can then add spices and herbs again to your own preference, some use mustard seeds, dill etc though I prefer ginger, cinnamon, cloves & star anise.Bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to the boil
  6. Pack the walnuts into sterilised jars and pour the liquid over them, ensuring some of the spices end up in each jar
  7. Store in fridge, ready in 2-3 months
Old Jun 16th 2013, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Haha, a bit more to it than that but not at all difficult.
  1. Pick your walnuts and piece each one a few times
  2. Put into a bucket or large bowl
  3. Cover with water and add salt to make a brine, I use about 70g of salt per litre of water
  4. Leave for 5-7 days, drain, add fresh brine, as above and leave for a further 5-7 days
  5. Put enough vinegar (not the paint stripper in the green bottles) in a pot and add sugar, depending on how sweet you want it to be - you can leave the sugar out if you prefer - I slightly sweeten the vinegar to take the edge off the acidity. You can then add spices and herbs again to your own preference, some use mustard seeds, dill etc though I prefer ginger, cinnamon, cloves & star anise.Bring the vinegar, sugar and spices to the boil
  6. Pack the walnuts into sterilised jars and pour the liquid over them, ensuring some of the spices end up in each jar
  7. Store in fridge, ready in 2-3 months
Excellent. Thank you
Old Jun 16th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

g1ant66 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would try if got the gas working hahaha. but here pickled egg
boil eggs wash out jar with hot water, place in hard boiled eggs 9 remove the shells first hehe) then pour in vinegar to cover the eggs add in a teaspoon of spices and cover with greese proof paper/ cling film put lid on and tighten tips upside down a few times so lid must be on tight and leave last upto 6 months in unopened jar 1month if opened
nice with home made chips lol
Old Jun 16th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should print out a recipe for pickled eggs in Hungarian and hand it to my next door neighbour next time he comes wanting me to buy his eggs! I buy my eggs from another neighbour who has helped me a lot and also supplies my firewood.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 3:28 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant66
i would try if got the gas working hahaha.
What's wrong with the gas? Have you turned it on at the mains haha. I'm sure I remember the heating being on last time so guessing it's something simple.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

What's wrong with the gas? Have you turned it on at the mains haha. I'm sure I remember the heating being on last time so guessing it's something simple.
wish was simple lol yes i turn the taps on i here gas from the pipe when turn cooker on go to light it and it dies no gas
frustrating cold showers and no cooking i love to cook hen am able but annoying when i can and cant
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:59 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Above the gas meter, there should be a black circular knob about 3cm diameter, pull it out and you should hear air escaping, try the gas again.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Above the gas meter, there should be a black circular knob about 3cm diameter, pull it out and you should hear air escaping, try the gas again.
ahhh many many thank you s for that yes it worked beginning to think something drastic wrong now know what to do next time again many thanks mm what shall i cook now lol
Old Jun 21st 2013, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Tomsky2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone or has anyone had a go at making their own candied peel and glace cherries? im going to give it a go this week so will report back..then its hot crossed buns for us..

another question what is castor sugar called here??

after coming back from England in the car last week (was very impressed with my matiz 800cc making the trip) i now have a good two shelf worth of cookery books to play with ..lol

Last edited by Tomsky2012; Jun 21st 2013 at 7:34 am.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

You can get recipes online, you should have brought candied peel and glace cherries instead! I did manage to get something like candied peel in orange, lemon and lime varieties last year to put in my mincemeat. The only cherries I found were in fancy packs of crystallised fruit sold for Christmas presents.
I did my last trip to UK in my Chevy Spark, which is only 700cc 3 cylinder. I needed a lot of fill ups as the tank is tiny.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Re pickled walnuts....my wife started on 5kg of walnuts last week. They were all sorted and pricked and placed in brine. After a few days the whole lot's turned black. Is this normal? She's going to change the brine today.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Need help with peaches. We have inherited several trees and now we have lots that are a good colour but still firm. I want to make jam and preserve some but don't have a clue how to do it. Can anyone help please. The more basic your advice the better.
Thanks
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Re pickled walnuts....my wife started on 5kg of walnuts last week. They were all sorted and pricked and placed in brine. After a few days the whole lot's turned black. Is this normal? She's going to change the brine today.
Yes, don't worry it's just them oxidising 5kg - hope you like pickled walnuts
Old Jun 25th 2013, 7:38 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by cathyg
Need help with peaches. We have inherited several trees and now we have lots that are a good colour but still firm. I want to make jam and preserve some but don't have a clue how to do it. Can anyone help please. The more basic your advice the better.
Thanks
Will post an easy one for each tomorrow as lots of paperwork to catch up on tonight
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, don't worry it's just them oxidising 5kg - hope you like pickled walnuts
As you can't get them here most of them are destined for presents

Hope they turn out better than my 90 litres of cider that turned out as vinegar a few years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.