Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:25 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The recipe thread

Originally Posted by Polgardi
I can make pálinka out of everything in my garden...but I don't like it
So what did you decide to make? I wish I had a fig tree :-( I don't even have a client with a fig tree:-(
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:36 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

The girl got ceps

The recipe thread-p1130773.jpg
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:55 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Has anyone got any easy recipes for quince please? I haven't a clue what to do with them
What did you do with your quince? I have some membrillo on cooking at the moment, wish it would hurry up so I can get to bed..... Will pop into Lidls tomorrow as I spotted some hard sheeps cheese last week - should go well together
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
What did you do with your quince? I have some membrillo on cooking at the moment, wish it would hurry up so I can get to bed..... Will pop into Lidls tomorrow as I spotted some hard sheeps cheese last week - should go well together
Err nothing. I am not sure if they are even ripe. We had a bad experience once with a quince tart just before our wedding in France (sounds ominous I know :-) ) and I have never since warmed to them. We were basically force fed quince tart by a very nice (but very drunk) B and B owner....enough said
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:07 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Err nothing. I am not sure if they are even ripe. We had a bad experience once with a quince tart just before our wedding in France (sounds ominous I know :-) ) and I have never since warmed to them. We were basically force fed quince tart by a very nice (but very drunk) B and B owner....enough said
I won't ask anymore! The membrillo or quince cheese is fairly easy to make and compliments a nice cheese board or can be used in cooking. Mine were a mix or ripe and unripe - took quite a while to peel and lean though as the tree is organic so a few pests to cut out

Tomorrow I need to start getting the grapes in and the last of the veg.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

I won't ask anymore! The membrillo or quince cheese is fairly easy to make and compliments a nice cheese board or can be used in cooking. Mine were a mix or ripe and unripe - took quite a while to peel and lean though as the tree is organic so a few pests to cut out

Tomorrow I need to start getting the grapes in and the last of the veg.
Yes, we have walnuts, pears and still some plums to bring in. Oh, and some grapes that I will do my best to scoff :-)
Old Sep 19th 2013, 9:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Fell asleep and the membrillo was in the oven all night Thankfully it was a low temperature and came out just right
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fell asleep and the membrillo was in the oven all night Thankfully it was a low temperature and came out just right
Is this how you make the membrillo? http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes..._quince_paste/
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well...my membrillo is taking its time turning 'ruby red' is is more of a 'rust gold' at the moment :-) It tastes nice though
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:54 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Well...my membrillo is taking its time turning 'ruby red' is is more of a 'rust gold' at the moment :-) It tastes nice though
Well done, you tried it! Yes, mine took much longer to turn red than the recipe said and even when finished boiling, it didn't look that red. However, once it came out the oven, it was exactly as it looked in the online pictures
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Well done, you tried it! Yes, mine took much longer to turn red than the recipe said and even when finished boiling, it didn't look that red. However, once it came out the oven, it was exactly as it looked in the online pictures
Ah well, mine is my own special 'orange' recipe then
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:16 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Ah well, mine is my own special 'orange' recipe then
I'll try add a pic of what's left of mine later and we can compare. Out and about at the moment, will do when I get back.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll try add a pic of what's left of mine later and we can compare. Out and about at the moment, will do when I get back.
I don't think mine is quite as it should be, but I just had a sneaky taste on some fake Hungarian cheddar, and it tasted lovely...so I am happy
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

I don't think mine is quite as it should be, but I just had a sneaky taste on some fake Hungarian cheddar, and it tasted lovely...so I am happy
Not had time to do a photo yet! Is it a solid block?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Not had time to do a photo yet! Is it a solid block?
Erm...a squidgy solid block. I thought I would be clever and set some of it in shot glasses as I had run out of ramekins..will look nice on the plate if I can ever get it out :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.