Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

The recipe thread

The recipe thread

Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The recipe thread

Is anyone making their own Pálinka? Given that it's legal to make your own and the stills are easily available, I thought I'd give it a go. There are few sites which contain some info but I wondered if anyone here has experience to share...
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:52 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Polgardi
Erm...a squidgy solid block. I thought I would be clever and set some of it in shot glasses as I had run out of ramekins..will look nice on the plate if I can ever get it out :-)
Still not managed to find time to photograph! Good idea with the shot glasses, if you struggle to get them out, next time line the shot glass with cling film and though you might not get as smooth a finish, they will come out easily enough.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:59 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hirschhs
Is anyone making their own Pálinka? Given that it's legal to make your own and the stills are easily available, I thought I'd give it a go. There are few sites which contain some info but I wondered if anyone here has experience to share...
Hi, I haven't made it myself as I haven't yet tasted a homemade palinka that I find palatable but I have seen friends make theirs. It seems simple enough though be careful and ensure you dont leave any methanol in as it can damage yours eyes.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

I've just had a few litres of vegyes palinka from excess fruit made by a guy who made me some last year. He double distilled it and it tastes really nice and smooth without the harshness or burn that many home made palinkas come with.
I was going to buy a still and make my own next year but have just found out that i can have my mash distilled legally in the next village for 800 huf per litre so I'm not sure it will be worth distilling my own. I'll try them out and decide later. I've got 180 litres of apple mash fermenting away at the moment, hopefully ready for a batch of palinka before Christmas ....along with 55 litres of grape wine and various batches of other wines hic
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:22 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
I've just had a few litres of vegyes palinka from excess fruit made by a guy who made me some last year. He double distilled it and it tastes really nice and smooth without the harshness or burn that many home made palinkas come with.
I was going to buy a still and make my own next year but have just found out that i can have my mash distilled legally in the next village for 800 huf per litre so I'm not sure it will be worth distilling my own. I'll try them out and decide later. I've got 180 litres of apple mash fermenting away at the moment, hopefully ready for a batch of palinka before Christmas ....along with 55 litres of grape wine and various batches of other wines hic

Drunkard
Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:35 am
I bite my thumb at thee

He double distilled it and it tastes really nice and smooth without the harshness or burn that many home made palinkas come with.
Do you know what proof it was Paul? A friend double distills his to ensure all the methanol is removed and says it's about 70-80%
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

hirschhs is an unknown quantity at this point

80%? You can run a light aircraft on that
Old Oct 21st 2013, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Do you know what proof it was Paul? A friend double distills his to ensure all the methanol is removed and says it's about 70-80%
I didn't ask but it did the trick yesterday when I was working in the garden and kept chipping into it

......and as for being a drunkard!!!!! Hopefully I will be next year
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I didn't ask but it did the trick yesterday when I was working in the garden and kept chipping into it

......and as for being a drunkard!!!!! Hopefully I will be next year
and a healthy drunkard at that! All home produced with no added preservatives, colourings or flavourings.... hic
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, next year we start with veggies. This year's been too hectic and we only moved into the house in July, so too late to plant much.
Hopefully we'll be well stocked with most things but what we have found is that it's incredibly time consuming when working full time. Recently it's been really stressful trying to get everything done. Fortunately, our neighbour helped out last week, spending all day clearing and burning leaves for us
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

Yep, next year we start with veggies. This year's been too hectic and we only moved into the house in July, so too late to plant much.
Hopefully we'll be well stocked with most things but what we have found is that it's incredibly time consuming when working full time. Recently it's been really stressful trying to get everything done. Fortunately, our neighbour helped out last week, spending all day clearing and burning leaves for us
sounds like you are busy, but just a tip to improve your soil, for the future if you intend growing lots of veg, don't burn your leaves, that's a waste of some of the best soil nutrients and improvement to soil structure. bag them up and leave in a corner of the garden to rot down for a good year, they will crumble down then dig the mixture into your veg patch.
or add them to your compost heap mixed with other vegetation, paper etc and let the worms do the job for you, you can't beat homemade compost to add to your soil and improve drainage, especially to clay soil.
good luck with your gardening
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tapsony-Hungary
sounds like you are busy, but just a tip to improve your soil, for the future if you intend growing lots of veg, don't burn your leaves, that's a waste of some of the best soil nutrients and improvement to soil structure. bag them up and leave in a corner of the garden to rot down for a good year, they will crumble down then dig the mixture into your veg patch.
or add them to your compost heap mixed with other vegetation, paper etc and let the worms do the job for you, you can't beat homemade compost to add to your soil and improve drainage, especially to clay soil.
good luck with your gardening
I agree with the above. I might add to be careful with walnut tree leaves...last year we inadvertently ended up with some walnut tree saplings in our veggie plot
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully we'll be much more clued up next year
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really niceTapsony-Hungary is just really nice

I agree with the above. I might add to be careful with walnut tree leaves...last year we inadvertently ended up with some walnut tree saplings in our veggie plot
will watch out for that, typical if you want to proprogate plants it's hit and miss, when you don't want them they appear
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 10:36 am
I bite my thumb at thee

LOL, we've had that as well.... They spring up everywhere!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.