Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi again Remy and i forgot to mention that apart fron the supermarket (eqivalent to a Tesco metro) at Oxford Arcade just past the main cross roads in Anjuna (just a few kms from Arpora), theres also 2 very good grocery stores near the church in Anjuna (called Oxford store and Orchard Store). Although pretty small, they are jam packed with just about everything a Westerner needs inc' some imported stuff and bakery, fruit, drinks and real S.Indian coffee etc.

Last time i was in Goa i asked why there were so few Green Coconuts for sale, and i don't know if its right but i was told by a local that its due to the traffic pollution so they don't grow so well(?) I did find a stall after a serious search mission at Mapsa market and also a small stall when i stayed in Arambol just off the beach side of the road close to Double Dutch restaurant, but rarely came accross any more (oh there was a stall in Calangute). Anyway its a real pity cos i sort of took it for granted when i spent a few months in A.P., Kerala, T.N. etc where you can easily find em.

I'd also be interested to find out more about the supermarket etc in Panjim as like you i've been a few times but mainly for tiles/lawyers!I did find a great S.Indian restaurant (with family a/c area upstairs) which does loads of yummy masala dosas etc and juices and very popular with the middle class Indians so pretty safe i think. Can't remember name but most locals would know it.
Well bye for now - TDK
Hi TDK,

The Supermarket at Anjuna (Oxford Arcade) is it reasonably priced or is it higher tourist prices? Same goes for the two grocery shops you mentioned.

This is very helpful info especially if your intending to stay in Goa for a decent period of time as you can save a lot of money.
I reckon if we done more eating and drinking in the apartment by supermarket shopping we should save quite a bit.
Even stack up the fridge with juices, beer etc as these are bound to be cheaper at market prices than in restaurants and bars.

Like Noni said, when your there for a while you start to think in rupees and i guess you have to.
Cant wait to get back now in Dec.
The past couple of trips have been short and taken up with the apartment purchase, furnishing etc so havent had much time to suss out things like general grocery shopping. Therfore i really appreciate all this info.

Thanks,
Remy
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by noni
oh yes! Magnums about 20p. choc ices. vienetta, cornetto's. The prices are on the advertising cards - just like here - but cheaper.
Don't get caught on Coco Beach by the man on the bike if you are a FN you pay x 5 times as much.

Don't like Panjim - Go to the supermarket, and for bits and bobs when needs must. Say hullo at the police station! Most of the shops are tacky - and I can't stand Bombay Bazzar where they follow you all the time. Have been coming to Goa since early 90's and am still looking for what the guide books call "The Magnificient Shopping Malls of Panjim".

We have our Jeans made in Candolim about £8. next to Flambe.
Magnums only 20p!!!
Oh No guess who will be suffering from 'death by chocolate ice cream'.
This has not been good information you have provided me with.......you dont know what youv done.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:15 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Magnums only 20p!!!
Oh No guess who will be suffering from 'death by chocolate ice cream'.
This has not been good information you have provided me with.......you dont know what youv done.
Oh! Yes.
The new supermarket is on the road which has the Centurian Bank on the corner, or stand opposite Looms - which is excellent for towels, bedding curtains voiles etc. (only a tiny shop) and look across the road to the road facing you. I am having a senior moment still can't think of the name.

Calengute has a excellent shop, opposite "Johnnies Chemist" (no rude remarks) it is owned by the chemist, and sells all the hair shampoos, conditioners, mousesse sun creams, skin lotions, health vitamins. soft toilet paper etc. and in Panjim on the seaside end of the Square/Gardens near the police station is a shop selling all the leading brands of make up, at really low prices. I stock up and only wear make up in UK in Goa I am a free "old" spirit.

Last edited by noni; Jul 1st 2007 at 5:56 am. Reason: ed
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:10 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! Yes.
The new supermarket is on the road which has the Centurian Bank on the corner, or stand opposite Looms - which is excellent for towels, bedding curtains voiles etc. (only a tiny shop) and look across the road to the road facing you. I am having a senior moment still can't think of the name.

Calengute has a excellent shop, opposite "Johnnies Chemist" (no rude remarks) it is owned by the chemist, and sells all the hair shampoos, conditioners, mousesse sun creams, skin lotions, health vitamins. soft toilet paper etc. and in Panjim on the seaside end of the Square/Gardens near the police station is a shop selling all the leading brands of make up, at really low prices. I stock up and only wear make up in UK in Goa I am a free "old" spirit.
Gosh you have caused some !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in this home to-day.
Himself is now having his own account in the shack for Kingfisher. Food separate. He has tried to charge me for Lassi and Fresh Orange Juice!!
You can buy Kings, Kingfisher from supermarkets really cheap, also
Vodka, white rum, honeybee. about £1.20 a bottle. If you are lucky you will get a local shop to deliver your supply free of charge.
You can't tell the difference between local spirits and ours when mixed with our mixers.
Wine is expensive for out there! No three for £10. (well not the same quality)
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Big Art is on a distinguished road

hi noni,is the shop called vishal mart?
KITLARR (HOW MUCH) don't know if it's spelt right but say it loud and watch their face

Last edited by Big Art; Jul 1st 2007 at 7:42 am.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Gosh you have caused some !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in this home to-day.
Himself is now having his own account in the shack for Kingfisher. Food separate. He has tried to charge me for Lassi and Fresh Orange Juice!!
You can buy Kings, Kingfisher from supermarkets really cheap, also
Vodka, white rum, honeybee. about £1.20 a bottle. If you are lucky you will get a local shop to deliver your supply free of charge.
You can't tell the difference between local spirits and ours when mixed with our mixers.
Wine is expensive for out there! No three for £10. (well not the same quality)
Vodka 1.20 a bottle!!!
OH NO!
Well there you have it.
If you ever see a drunk staggering through Calangute sucking on a magnum please come over and say hello and i will try and remember your name.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Big Art
KITLARR (HOW MUCH) don't know if it's spelt right but say it loud and watch their face

Hi Big Art and welcome aboard.

By the way we call our ship Titanic 2.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

After a few of the local spirits i cant tell the differance between most things.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Big Art
Hi Big Art,

Yes! That's it, or I knew it was Vish something or other. I still think the real local "minging" one is a little better value, but both much cheaper than the ones in Candolim/Calengute. Hope you are not teaching me naughty words, I always manage to get into enough trouble on my own without help.
Are you caught in the property trap as well?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Big Art is on a distinguished road

hi all, no noni we have been doing goa for about 5yrs long stay, we did think about buying when apartments were less than the price of the cars and harleys i had in the garage at home,but i saw the pit falls which a lot of our friend's didn't and are now paying for,we have an apartment in donna paula on a long term lease off a guy who works in bahrain who only bought as an investment,it is 2brms 3ac's fully furnished very classy with great views, all for 1lak a year we pay for electric,cable and gas and have our own cleaner and the good thing is we can walk away when we want to, we hire a jeep off a friend for 300rps a day and have a scooter which was bought through him 3yrs ago flights booked for 4wks nov home for crimbo (wife insist's)then back for 10/12wks jan all sorted god willing
ps. very few power cut in donna paula the govener lives here
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Yes good idea and thanks.
The kids drink diluted juice at home regularly so this would work well.

Thanks,
Remy
HI Remy
We used to take Soda Stream cordials, couldn't get ginger ale, mix with soda water and scotch and dry ginger back on the menu. The Vimto is also OK. and you gets lots more than from a bottle of squash.
Tony P
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by TONY P
HI Remy
We used to take Soda Stream cordials, couldn't get ginger ale, mix with soda water and scotch and dry ginger back on the menu. The Vimto is also OK. and you gets lots more than from a bottle of squash.
Tony P
Thought you washed the bath with Vimto. Coke is a good cleaner to leave in the toilet over night.
Just cleaned the bathroom tiles and bath with the new DUCK Magic scrubs with their durable handle, very powerful and very very light to carry, will definately be taking them to the Apartment (To use just the once) when we get there.
God knows what the cleaner will think of them so will do it myself, she threw out the brush for her broom.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:46 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Hi TDK,

The Supermarket at Anjuna (Oxford Arcade) is it reasonably priced or is it higher tourist prices? Same goes for the two grocery shops you mentioned.

This is very helpful info especially if your intending to stay in Goa for a decent period of time as you can save a lot of money.
I reckon if we done more eating and drinking in the apartment by supermarket shopping we should save quite a bit.
Even stack up the fridge with juices, beer etc as these are bound to be cheaper at market prices than in restaurants and bars.

Like Noni said, when your there for a while you start to think in rupees and i guess you have to.
Cant wait to get back now in Dec.
The past couple of trips have been short and taken up with the apartment purchase, furnishing etc so havent had much time to suss out things like general grocery shopping. Therfore i really appreciate all this info.

Thanks,
Remy
Hi Remy thanks for your post and yes i've found the Oxford arcade supermarket and the others to be reasonably priced, especially for the products produced in India, but obviously the imported stuff is quite a bit more, but i don't mind paying a bit exta for olive oil and a few other goodies.As far as i remember though the supermarkets i mentioned don't really mark up the prices for Indian goods, except a bit for fruit and veg which you can get cheaper at the Mapsa/calangute markets where i'd stock up on papayas etc.

I definately agree that by eating in you will save a fair chunk of your budget and i nearly always ate breakfast and supper in (even though i was staying in GHs without my own kitchen) but i just bought a cheap bowl, spoon and cerial, bread, nut butter & juice etc and made real indian coffee using a mini electric element, a mug & a Rs10 strainer (as a self confessed coffee snob i cant drink nescafe, except in emergencies) As i didn't have a fridge though i set up a clothes line accross my room to hang the plastic bag of food from (or otherwise an army of ants invades)!

Finally i forgot to mention that if you can't find green coconuts, another good rehydration back up (especially important for kids if they get the Aztec 2 Step) but also can use to prevent dehydration if very hot, is the sachets of ready made electolyte powders you can buy from any pharmacy (alot cheaper in India than UK), and i try to get the lemon/lime flavour one as tastes better than the plain one, but i suppose you could squeeze in some fresh lime juice with the plain one also. In an emergency you can also just mix about 1 teaspoon of sugar with about 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water to balance your body's electolyte i.e. if you feel very eak/dehydrated.

Well hope this helps and All the Best-TDK
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

catpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nicecatpat123 is just really nice

Noni, do you have someone air your place during the monsoon?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by catpat123
Noni, do you have someone air your place during the monsoon?
Yes and washes the floors once a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.