Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:55 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Originally Posted by TDK
Thanks Remy and your plan to spend about 3 mths each year there with your family sounds great and good luck with getting settled in there.

What about school - will they be allowed a three month break?
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:10 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by noni
What about school - will they be allowed a three month break?
Yeah i was wondering about that too as i thought schools had clamped down on kids being allowed to take time outside of the official holidays, but as Remy mentioned his kids are i think 8 & 10 they might be a bit more flexible(?)
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TDK
Yeah i was wondering about that too as i thought schools had clamped down on kids being allowed to take time outside of the official holidays, but as Remy mentioned his kids are i think 8 & 10 they might be a bit more flexible(?)

Hi There Noni and TDK,
No the two of you are quite right, the schools have clamped down.
We try to make sure the kids attendance is as faultless as possible through the year. There off for two weeks at christmas but we are going for a month this December and have to request permission from the school. It means the kids will miss two weeks of school time but they wind down on the run up to the Christmas holidays anyhow so they wont miss much work at all.
If the school refuse permission then were going anyhow and they can fine us if they like.
I maintain our kids will learn far more from their experiences in India than they will in school and the last time we took them it was with the headmasters blessing and he agreed with us.

Its all 'ifs and buts' at the moment but we will try and work things out with the school to obtain the best possible solution. At the end of the day the kids come first and if their education will suffer then 3 months in Goa wont be happening until they are old enough.
I still believe travel is the best education if approached in the 'educational way'.

The other thing is that the schools in Northern Ireland are off for a continuous 8 weeks over July and August and if needbe we might go then as well. I know its the monsoon but still think it would be a fabulous experience for us all.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:26 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi There Noni and TDK,
We try to make sure the kids attendance is as faultless as possible through the year. There off for two weeks at christmas but we are going for a month this December and have to request permission from the school. It means the kids will miss two weeks of school time but they wind down on the run up to the Christmas holidays anyhow so they wont miss much work at all.
If the school refuse permission then were going anyhow and they can fine us if they like.
I maintain our kids will learn far more from their experiences in India than they will in school and the last time we took them it was with the headmasters blessing and he agreed with us.

Its all 'ifs and buts' at the moment but we will try and work things out with the school to obtain the best possible solution. At the end of the day the kids come first and if their education will suffer then 3 months in Goa wont be happening until they are old enough.
I still believe travel is the best education if approached in the 'educational way'.

The other thing is that the schools in Northern Ireland are off for a continuous 8 weeks over July and August and if needbe we might go then as well. I know its the monsoon but still think it would be a fabulous experience for us all.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi, Remy,
Not criticising you, I just wondered about the three months. In fact when ours came out for two weeks the Headmaster said the same thing that the experience in India would be wonderful for them. The eldest made a diary and wrote into it every day. When she came home she re wrote it into a text book with photo's of her daily activies. She then had to do a presentation to the class.
All this term their religious subject has been India and Hinduism and she was delighted to have had so much to take into the project. We had enough sari's and punjabi outfits for half a dozen of the girls to wear, plus all the bangles bindi's and the boys indian wedding hats.
This year they are coming out in January for three weeks, and are asking to see the temples.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:07 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Hi There Noni and TDK,

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy & Noni, just to let you know i totally agree with you that the university of life/experiencing India will be far far more educational than being pent up in a classroom! Thats great that your kids/grandkids are interested to learn about the Indian cultures and religious traditions also, and its encouraging to hear that their schools can see the value in it.

BTW have any of you visited Hampi (just over the border in in Karnataka)? You'd probably need about a couple of days to go there and back and to allow time to explore but its an amazing place and i'm sure it'd be a real adventure for the kids! Its vast rocky landscape is the site of the ancient Vijayanagar kingdom and is covered with ancient temple ruins and even the old royal elephant stable!I also climbed a hill & visited a sadhu and his young German student who had thrown away his passport! I visited about 15 years ago so i guess its probably changed a bit since then but when i was there there were just a few basic GHs and cafes in the small 'high street'. Anyway its just a suggestion for the back burner, as if you have a few months in India, theres so much interesting stuff to see outside Goa.
All the Best - TDK
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TDK
BTW have any of you visited Hampi (just over the border in in Karnataka)? You'd probably need about a couple of days to go there and back and to allow time to explore but its an amazing place and i'm sure it'd be a real adventure for the kids! Its vast rocky landscape is the site of the ancient Vijayanagar kingdom and is covered with ancient temple ruins and even the old royal elephant stable!I also climbed a hill & visited a sadhu and his young German student who had thrown away his passport! I visited about 15 years ago so i guess its probably changed a bit since then but when i was there there were just a few basic GHs and cafes in the small 'high street'. Anyway its just a suggestion for the back burner, as if you have a few months in India, theres so much interesting stuff to see outside Goa.
All the Best - TDK
Hi TDK
Yes have visited Hampi, went by train, an experience in it's own right. Stayed in a Hotel in the nearby town. Wonderful site, they have opened up so much and are still working on it. You certainly need a couple of days to see it. Everything from early air-con to the stone chariot and the old disco, then you have to be blessed by the elephant and everything else, one of the best archaeological sites we've been to. As good if not better than Ephesus and Pammukale in Turkey.
Regards
Tony P
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi Remy & Noni, just to let you know i totally agree with you that the university of life/experiencing India will be far far more educational than being pent up in a classroom! Thats great that your kids/grandkids are interested to learn about the Indian cultures and religious traditions also, and its encouraging to hear that their schools can see the value in it.

All the Best - TDK
Hi TDK,

Havnt done Hampi yet but its high up there on our 'things to do in December' I have read up on it and it sounds and looks amazing.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi, Remy,
Not criticising you, I just wondered about the three months. In fact when ours came out for two weeks the Headmaster said the same thing that the experience in India would be wonderful for them. The eldest made a diary and wrote into it every day. When she came home she re wrote it into a text book with photo's of her daily activies. She then had to do a presentation to the class.
All this term their religious subject has been India and Hinduism and she was delighted to have had so much to take into the project. We had enough sari's and punjabi outfits for half a dozen of the girls to wear, plus all the bangles bindi's and the boys indian wedding hats.
This year they are coming out in January for three weeks, and are asking to see the temples.
Hi Noni,
Its definately a lifechanging experience for Kids and indeed adults.
BTW I know youv told me before but cant remember the post......what age are your two grandchildren again?

Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Remy-Ireland;5007193]Hi Noni,
BTW I know youv told me before but cant remember the post......what age are your two grandchildren again?

Regards,
Remi

We will have two children out at the end of the year 6 and 10.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:06 am

[QUOTE=old man;5007484]
Hi Noni,

Regards,
Remi

Hi, Remy and Old man,
We will be able to start a children's club.
Ours are a boy of 7 and a girl 11. The way the weather is this year at home they will have forgotton what sun, sea, and a beach are.

There is another good "supermarket" in Porvorim Farmers Market ( or Choice)
not too badly priced, drinks cheap. Fresh meat o.k. but we do miss good quality bacon.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:22 am
TDK
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TONY P
Hi TDK
Yes have visited Hampi, went by train, an experience in it's own right. Stayed in a Hotel in the nearby town. Wonderful site, they have opened up so much and are still working on it. You certainly need a couple of days to see it. Everything from early air-con to the stone chariot and the old disco, then you have to be blessed by the elephant and everything else, one of the best archaeological sites we've been to. As good if not better than Ephesus and Pammukale in Turkey.
Regards
Tony P
Hi Tony & i'm glad you also enjoyed Hampi, and i agree its best to allow a few days there if possble as theres so much to see and the landscape is stunning. I must've missed the early a/c and the disco somehow! I've never been to Turkey but it also sounds like theres some amazing archeolgogical sites there too & the pictures i've seen look really beautiful.
All the best - TDK
Old Jul 4th 2007, 1:31 am
TDK
BE Enthusiast

Hi TDK,

Havnt done Hampi yet but its high up there on our 'things to do in December' I have read up on it and it sounds and looks amazing.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Remy
Thanks Remy and i'm sure you and all the family will love Hampi, and as i'm sure you know even just catching the trains and buses in India can be quite an experience. I always find it interesting how the people and some of the customs and languages etc can vary quite a bit from state to state in India, although luckily for us lazy Brits just about everyone speaks Hinglish)!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:09 am
TDK
BE Enthusiast

Be a bit more upmarket - Don't let the B@@@@@@t's get you down.
You can get the comfy beach cane chairs for just over £10 each.
How about taking one of those self inflating blow up beds - they are really comfortable, we use them camping. Just plug into the electric and away to go.
Sorry Noni - i only just saw your post (above), and thanks for the suggestions & maybe i should throw caution to the wind and splash out on an inflatable bed! Anyway even if/when i get rid of 'my' place i'll still probably need to rent another place to store all my posessions (currently stored in 3 different states of India)! So i guess even if i fork out on a few items of half decent furniture i could always move it to the next place i lease maybe(?)
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

[quote=old man;5007484]
Hi Noni,

Regards,
Remi

Hi old man,
Wow thats great!
Our two are 8 and 10.
We havent booked as yet (as we will wait closer to the time to get a good flight deal) but we are looking at early Dec for 28 nights.
BTW our boy Ryan is the 8 year old and Rachel is the 10 year old.

Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

[quote=noni;5007659]
Originally Posted by old man

Hi, Remy and Old man,
We will be able to start a children's club.
Ours are a boy of 7 and a girl 11. The way the weather is this year at home they will have forgotton what sun, sea, and a beach are.

There is another good "supermarket" in Porvorim Farmers Market ( or Choice)
not too badly priced, drinks cheap. Fresh meat o.k. but we do miss good quality bacon.

Hi Noni,
Seems like all the kids are around the same age. Amazing.
We will all have to try and tie up sometime.
Childrens Club? Now theres an idea.

Kind Regards,
Remy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.