Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Originally Posted by Big Art
hi all, no noni we have been doing goa for about 5yrs long stay, we did think about buying when apartments were less than the price of the cars and harleys i had in the garage at home,but i saw the pit falls which a lot of our friend's didn't and are now paying for,we have an apartment in donna paula on a long term lease off a guy who works in bahrain who only bought as an investment,it is 2brms 3ac's fully furnished very classy with great views, all for 1lak a year we pay for electric,cable and gas and have our own cleaner and the good thing is we can walk away when we want to, we hire a jeep off a friend for 300rps a day and have a scooter which was bought through him 3yrs ago flights booked for 4wks nov home for crimbo (wife insist's)then back for 10/12wks jan all sorted god willing
ps. very few power cut in donna paula the govener lives here

Hi Big Art,
This sounds great.
You have it well sorted. Well Done!
A nice apartment for 1 lac p.a. really puts things in perspective and no risk involved.

Cheers,
Remy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TONY P
HI Remy
We used to take Soda Stream cordials, couldn't get ginger ale, mix with soda water and scotch and dry ginger back on the menu. The Vimto is also OK. and you gets lots more than from a bottle of squash.
Tony P

Hi Tony,

Is Vimto diluted juice and is it available in Goa?

Cheers,
Remy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by noni
Thought you washed the bath with Vimto. Coke is a good cleaner to leave in the toilet over night.
Just cleaned the bathroom tiles and bath with the new DUCK Magic scrubs with their durable handle, very powerful and very very light to carry, will definately be taking them to the Apartment (To use just the once) when we get there.
God knows what the cleaner will think of them so will do it myself, she threw out the brush for her broom.

Hi Noni,
When i got to the apartment in February i spent hours each day cleaning the damn thing.
The so called Decorators had paint all over the wall and floor tile, light switches, Granite sills etc. I was livid.:curse:

Being a Decorator myself i was apalled at the poor workmanship. Had i known they were going to make such a mess, i would have painted the damn thing myself.
Anyway must get some of them magic scrubs your talking about for the tiles.......as long as there not too abrasive.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi Remy thanks for your post and yes i've found the Oxford arcade supermarket and the others to be reasonably priced, especially for the products produced in India, but obviously the imported stuff is quite a bit more, but i don't mind paying a bit exta for olive oil and a few other goodies.As far as i remember though the supermarkets i mentioned don't really mark up the prices for Indian goods, except a bit for fruit and veg which you can get cheaper at the Mapsa/calangute markets where i'd stock up on papayas etc.

I definately agree that by eating in you will save a fair chunk of your budget and i nearly always ate breakfast and supper in (even though i was staying in GHs without my own kitchen) but i just bought a cheap bowl, spoon and cerial, bread, nut butter & juice etc and made real indian coffee using a mini electric element, a mug & a Rs10 strainer (as a self confessed coffee snob i cant drink nescafe, except in emergencies) As i didn't have a fridge though i set up a clothes line accross my room to hang the plastic bag of food from (or otherwise an army of ants invades)!

Finally i forgot to mention that if you can't find green coconuts, another good rehydration back up (especially important for kids if they get the Aztec 2 Step) but also can use to prevent dehydration if very hot, is the sachets of ready made electolyte powders you can buy from any pharmacy (alot cheaper in India than UK), and i try to get the lemon/lime flavour one as tastes better than the plain one, but i suppose you could squeeze in some fresh lime juice with the plain one also. In an emergency you can also just mix about 1 teaspoon of sugar with about 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water to balance your body's electolyte i.e. if you feel very eak/dehydrated.

Well hope this helps and All the Best-TDK
Hi TDK,
Yes your definately right about Breakfast and Supper and eating in.
Thanks for all the re-hydration info, will put it into practice.
We have a good size Kitchen in the apartment so really no excuse not to eat in more. Just have a fridge freezer to buy in December.
Cant wait to check out Oxford Arcade.
If we could get our two kids out of school we would love to spend at least 3 months each year out in Goa.
Fed up with this place.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Tony,

Is Vimto diluted juice and is it available in Goa?

Cheers,
Remy
Hi Remy
Vimto in this country is a fizzy drink, berry juice and cinnamon, sounds strange tastes great.
I know you can buy Vimto cordial in this country, but no idea about Goa, the point is that the Soda Stream cordials are more concentrated and they do a Ginger ale, used to do Canadian Club. OK you can get Ginger ale now, but you couldn't when we first went there and soda water is readily available, plus my wife drinks bacardi and dry ginger, or wine (in Goa) so anything for a peaceful life.
Regards
Tony P
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:52 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Remy
Vimto in this country is a fizzy drink, berry juice and cinnamon, sounds strange tastes great.
I know you can buy Vimto cordial in this country, but no idea about Goa, the point is that the Soda Stream cordials are more concentrated and they do a Ginger ale, used to do Canadian Club. OK you can get Ginger ale now, but you couldn't when we first went there and soda water is readily available, plus my wife drinks bacardi and dry ginger, or wine (in Goa) so anything for a peaceful life.
Regards
Tony P
Hi TDK,
If you are a coffee snob, the best coffee I have ever tasted is in Supendipity the Coffee Shop in the Yamini complex of Acron shops.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Remy
Regards
Tony P
Yes Tony,
I agree anything for a quiet life. Janis (the other half) isnt too bad as she like me drinks smirnoff but she will venture onto cocktails (expensive) on a regular basis. Some of the 'cocktails' in Goa leave a lot to be desired to say the least. If anyone knows were you can get good cocktails in Goa please let me know.
The last one the wife had in the ******looked like it had been scooped from a toilet bowl, the scary thing was that it tasted as bad as it looked.

Remy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi TDK,
If you are a coffee snob, the best coffee I have ever tasted is in Supendipity the Coffee Shop in the Yamini complex of Acron shops.

I had that once but thankfully a course of antibiotics cleared it up.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:24 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

I had that once but thankfully a course of antibiotics cleared it up.
I think I have spelt it right - but just to get my own back show your wife
Acron Arcade website.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I think I have spelt it right - but just to get my own back show your wife
Acron Arcade website.
It would take more than antibiotics to sort that lot out.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:03 am

It would take more than antibiotics to sort that lot out.
I meant the lovely shops, all the beautiful things for your apartment, clothes jewellery, handbags etc. etc. Then you could go into their antique dept. and onto see the site manager.
have a look at Acron Arcade website and see the shops, or let Mrs. Remy do it.

Last edited by noni; Jul 2nd 2007 at 8:04 am. Reason: left.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I meant the lovely shops, all the beautiful things for your apartment, clothes jewellery, handbags etc. etc. Then you could go into their antique dept. and onto see the site manager.
have a look at Acron Arcade website and see the shops, or let Mrs. Remy do it.
Hi Noni,
Wow, must admit it looks fabulous.
Must give it a whirl.
Was at one very similar around Candolim before but you got jumped on the minute you went through the door.Cant remember the name of it though.
But this looks good and if what they say is true......no tourist mark up, honest prices etc it will be well worth a visit.
Janis would have a field day in there.....she would be whirling around the place like the tasmanian devil......and with my credit card.

Thanks,
Remy
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:39 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough

Hi TDK,
Thanks for that tip Noni, and i think i went to that cafe but didn't try the coffee so will have to sample it next time, and yes the Acron arcade furniture store is very snazzy,(but not cheap) but i think i'll have to put the brakes on my spending since i'm strongly considering flogging 'my' appartment, so i'll probably just settle for a few plastic chairs and a mat to sleep on! Its kind of sad cos i was really looking forward to personalising it and had some good interior design ideas (to make it look less of a rabbit hutch), but its just another example of the Law of Impermanence!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:44 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough

Hi TDK,
Yes your definately right about Breakfast and Supper and eating in.
Thanks for all the re-hydration info, will put it into practice.
We have a good size Kitchen in the apartment so really no excuse not to eat in more. Just have a fridge freezer to buy in December.
Cant wait to check out Oxford Arcade.
If we could get our two kids out of school we would love to spend at least 3 months each year out in Goa.
Fed up with this place.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Thanks Remy and your plan to spend about 3 mths each year there with your family sounds great and good luck with getting settled in there.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by TDK
Thanks for that tip Noni, and i think i went to that cafe but didn't try the coffee so will have to sample it next time, and yes the Acron arcade furniture store is very snazzy,(but not cheap) but i think i'll have to put the brakes on my spending since i'm strongly considering flogging 'my' appartment, so i'll probably just settle for a few plastic chairs and a mat to sleep on! Its kind of sad cos i was really looking forward to personalising it and had some good interior design ideas (to make it look less of a rabbit hutch), but its just another example of the Law of Impermanence!
Be a bit more upmarket - Don't let the B@@@@@@t's get you down.
You can get the comfy beach cane chairs for just over £10 each.
How about taking one of those self inflating blow up beds - they are really comfortable, we use them camping. Just plug into the electric and away to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.