Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Hi Everyone,
Next year thinking of going to Goa for three months with the wife (she insists) and the two sprogs. So how much spending money do you think we would need?
Dont need to worry about accomodation as we have this sorted just Food and Leisure money.
I know some of you have lived there so from your experience what can we expect to spend monthly?
Also we do like to eat out quite a bit.

Thanks in advance,
Remy
Old Jun 30th 2007, 8:16 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Everyone,
Next year thinking of going to Goa for three months with the wife (she insists) and the two sprogs. So how much spending money do you think we would need?
Dont need to worry about accomodation as we have this sorted just Food and Leisure money.
I know some of you have lived there so from your experience what can we expect to spend monthly?
Also we do like to eat out quite a bit.

Thanks in advance,
Remy
Hi,
This is a hard one, it can be as little as you like or as much as your like.
Do you have a few Kingfishers on the beach, in the day? This pushes the budget up, Does your wife only drink diet drinks? They are expensive. Himself jumps up and down when we buy diet coke for the bacardi, and soda it costs more than the bacardi etc. Icecreams (Walls) from the local shops are no problem, they are dirt cheap. In the resturants much more expensive. You can eat at really cheap places, or do you like more upmarket (still cheap to us). You see after you have been out there for a couple of months you start thinking in rupees, and it's "HOW MUCH"!

Noni
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by noni
Hi,
This is a hard one, it can be as little as you like or as much as your like.
Do you have a few Kingfishers on the beach, in the day? This pushes the budget up, Does your wife only drink diet drinks? They are expensive. Himself jumps up and down when we buy diet coke for the bacardi, and soda it costs more than the bacardi etc. Icecreams (Walls) from the local shops are no problem, they are dirt cheap. In the resturants much more expensive. You can eat at really cheap places, or do you like more upmarket (still cheap to us). You see after you have been out there for a couple of months you start thinking in rupees, and it's "HOW MUCH"!

Noni
Hi Noni,
I like the odd bottle of Kings. Dont like Kingfisher, in my opinion its pure p***. Very Very partial to Vodka and Coke. The wife isnt fussed on the diet drinks but what you said is very interesting as i didnt realise they were more expensive. I dont really do up market. As long as the grub is good then the cheaper the better. Fish curry rice is no problem to me and the missus but the kids are more fussy. For them the cornflakes has to be Kellogs etc.........you know how it is.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:47 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Noni,
I like the odd bottle of Kings. Dont like Kingfisher, in my opinion its pure p***. Very Very partial to Vodka and Coke. The wife isnt fussed on the diet drinks but what you said is very interesting as i didnt realise they were more expensive. I dont really do up market. As long as the grub is good then the cheaper the better. Fish curry rice is no problem to me and the missus but the kids are more fussy. For them the cornflakes has to be Kellogs etc.........you know how it is.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Himself only will have cornflakes for breakfast, now will have Tesco or Asda, bought him Kellogs out there, had to give them to the security guard, he said they were awful. So it is egg on toast, or toast and marmalade. Diet drinks, club soda, are as much as at Tesco's. Himself always winges when we get the soft drinks bill. Will have a think overnight of how much it will cost you, it is a difficult one!! When I was on my own out there, or with my girlfriends, it was a lot cheaper than having a man there, we would do the drinking on the balcony, before we went out and when we came back. You will find it is not the food that puts up the cost, even if you go to the posh places, it is the drink. (now Indian thinking) Anyway Enjoy - THERE ARE NO POCKETS IN A SHROUD. ENJOY WHILST WE CAN -------- BEFORE WE ARE THROWN OUT
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Himself only will have cornflakes for breakfast, now will have Tesco or Asda, bought him Kellogs out there, had to give them to the security guard, he said they were awful. So it is egg on toast, or toast and marmalade. Diet drinks, club soda, are as much as at Tesco's. Himself always winges when we get the soft drinks bill. Will have a think overnight of how much it will cost you, it is a difficult one!! When I was on my own out there, or with my girlfriends, it was a lot cheaper than having a man there, we would do the drinking on the balcony, before we went out and when we came back. You will find it is not the food that puts up the cost, even if you go to the posh places, it is the drink. (now Indian thinking) Anyway Enjoy - THERE ARE NO POCKETS IN A SHROUD. ENJOY WHILST WE CAN -------- BEFORE WE ARE THROWN OUT
I try not to drink alcohol during the day.Mostly bottled water.
But in the evening i like a couple of bevies just to chill.
When i was there in Feb, i could get by more than comfortably on less than a tenner a day but i was there by myself.
Bottled water is cheap enough but like Douglas says,' when you try to get the kids to drink water, they look at you like your trying to give them radioactive isotopes.'
I know its a hard question which will vary according to lifestyle but any moneysaving tips would be appreciated.
A poor painter and decorator like me welcomes any advice that he can get.

Regards,
Remy
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

sallynaik is an unknown quantity at this point

I try not to drink alcohol during the day.Mostly bottled water.
But in the evening i like a couple of bevies just to chill.
When i was there in Feb, i could get by more than comfortably on less than a tenner a day but i was there by myself.
Bottled water is cheap enough but like Douglas says,' when you try to get the kids to drink water, they look at you like your trying to give them radioactive isotopes.'
I know its a hard question which will vary according to lifestyle but any moneysaving tips would be appreciated.
A poor painter and decorator like me welcomes any advice that he can get.

Regards,
Remy
take a few bottles of squash with you and add it to the water for the kids. Its what i did for my daughter as she won't drink water on its own either. Cheaper than buying soft drinks all the time.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:04 pm

I think you should multiply what you spent by 4, to give you a rough guide, you should easily have change out of that. If the kids do not have the great big icecreams after every meal, which is more than the meal itself.
Ours will only drink water!!!! ( well that is not the real truth, the little boy is partial to having a swig from a glass of beer if we are not looking) we have a water purifier in the Apartment and keep some water in the fridge chilled. You can buy squash out there - so don't carry.

Fruit is really cheap at the local market, if you are there for three months and go to the same stall, you usually get a fair price.

The large local supermarket in Panjim is very good for stocking up with Nescafe, tea, etc. all the things you have to buy when you arrive, but remember to take your own shopping bag, as they don't give out bags, and nearly all the boxes have been used by the time it will be your turn.

Regards Noni
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:21 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Originally Posted by sallynaik
take a few bottles of squash with you and add it to the water for the kids. Its what i did for my daughter as she won't drink water on its own either. Cheaper than buying soft drinks all the time.
Good idea Sally, but if you don't have room in your hand baggage (& i certainly wouldn't risk it breaking open in my check-in luggage), you can also easily find large & mini fruit juice cartons (some sugar free) at most supermarkets such as the one at Oxford arcade in Anjuna or anywhere in Candolim/Calingute etc. Theyr'e not going to break the bank either as some imported but most produced in India. Also alot healthier than all the nasty fizzy drinks that are so popular in India! You could also always buya large carton of juice (if you have your own fridge) and just dilute it with some water which will be healthier and cheaper.Another godsend for me & for people with milk allergy/lactose intollerance you can now find soy milk (S/L cartons) in many of the supermarkets (only introduced in recent years)

A few years ago there was i big scandel/boycotts/riots in India when it emerged that significant traces of chemical pesticides were present in Pepsi (In India only) and around that time i drank a bottle of (Pepsi owned) Aqua Fina 'mineral water' when a friend looked at me in horror and said ' how can you drink that chemical cocktail?!' I though it was an odd question, but had actually been wondering why the 'mineral water' tasted rather odd! When she explained it was owned by Pepsi & i put 2 & 2 together naturally i have avoided Pepsi/Aquafina since! Eversince my 1st trip to India in '92 theres been an Urban myth (or is it reality)? that Limca (the fizzy lemon drink) uses a asbestos in the filtration process(?!) I dunno if its true but it did kind of put me off, and i've also seen bright blue coloured 'pepsi' in India - now thats seriously scary, as blue chemical colourants are well known to be carcinogenic (if in any doubt please read 'The Cure For All Diseases' by Dr.Hulda Clark which although contaversial amongst some mainstream scientists, i found to be a real eye opener especially re: the effects of chemicals/pollutants on the body and alternative as well as the role of parasites including Giardiasis (very common in India) in many diseases, and most importantly how you can cure yourself.

I personally sometimes get Delhi Belly even before touch down in Mother India so i always go well stocked with several bottles of herbal anti-parasitic remedies which i can thoroughly recommend (asatrue Veteran of Giardia and many other nasties)!The one i take is Black Walnut and Wormwood and Clove tincture (either by Natures Answer or Clarkia 100 liquid formula) I also take a good probiotic that doesn't need to be refrigerated and all these are available from The Nutri Centre and some other good health food stores (not H & B though), you can even get them to send you your order to India if you run out via www.nutricentre.com

Well sorry this may all sound a bit depressing, but i hope some of this info will be of use to some of you, as i had to learn the hard way taking metronidazole and other antibiotics etc on and off in India, but whilst very occasional use may be ok, on the whole these are best avoided if you can cure your self with herbal remedies in my opinion (obviously please check with your GP if in anydoubt about suitability of particular remedies for you as many aren't advisable if pregnant or in certain health condition).
Good luck and stay healthy!

Finally as i think Tony may have mentioned before(?) the Green Coconuts are an excellent natural alternative to manufactued drinks as they contain the perfect elecrolyte balance so they really are the best thing to drinkto prevent/treat dehydration (water alone won't do it) and generally cost around Rs20, although kids may take a bit of convincing to get used to the taste maybe(?)
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallynaik

Yes good idea and thanks.
The kids drink diluted juice at home regularly so this would work well.

Thanks,
Remy
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I think you should multiply what you spent by 4, to give you a rough guide, you should easily have change out of that. If the kids do not have the great big icecreams after every meal, which is more than the meal itself.
Ours will only drink water!!!! ( well that is not the real truth, the little boy is partial to having a swig from a glass of beer if we are not looking) we have a water purifier in the Apartment and keep some water in the fridge chilled. You can buy squash out there - so don't carry.

Fruit is really cheap at the local market, if you are there for three months and go to the same stall, you usually get a fair price.

The large local supermarket in Panjim is very good for stocking up with Nescafe, tea, etc. all the things you have to buy when you arrive, but remember to take your own shopping bag, as they don't give out bags, and nearly all the boxes have been used by the time it will be your turn.

Regards Noni
Hi Noni,
The supermarket in Panjim seems to be the ticket.
I am always afraid to give the kids ice cream in Goa as i dont know if it contains non bottled water or not.
Thanks for the info-great stuff.

Kind Regards,
Remy.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TDK
Good idea Sally, but if you don't have room in your hand baggage (& i certainly wouldn't risk it breaking open in my check-in luggage), you can also easily find large & mini fruit juice cartons (some sugar free) at most supermarkets such as the one at Oxford arcade in Anjuna or anywhere in Candolim/Calingute etc. Theyr'e not going to break the bank either as some imported but most produced in India. Also alot healthier than all the nasty fizzy drinks that are so popular in India! You could also always buya large carton of juice (if you have your own fridge) and just dilute it with some water which will be healthier and cheaper.Another godsend for me & for people with milk allergy/lactose intollerance you can now find soy milk (S/L cartons) in many of the supermarkets (only introduced in recent years)

A few years ago there was i big scandel/boycotts/riots in India when it emerged that significant traces of chemical pesticides were present in Pepsi (In India only) and around that time i drank a bottle of (Pepsi owned) Aqua Fina 'mineral water' when a friend looked at me in horror and said ' how can you drink that chemical cocktail?!' I though it was an odd question, but had actually been wondering why the 'mineral water' tasted rather odd! When she explained it was owned by Pepsi & i put 2 & 2 together naturally i have avoided Pepsi/Aquafina since! Eversince my 1st trip to India in '92 theres been an Urban myth (or is it reality)? that Limca (the fizzy lemon drink) uses a asbestos in the filtration process(?!) I dunno if its true but it did kind of put me off, and i've also seen bright blue coloured 'pepsi' in India - now thats seriously scary, as blue chemical colourants are well known to be carcinogenic (if in any doubt please read 'The Cure For All Diseases' by Dr.Hulda Clark which although contaversial amongst some mainstream scientists, i found to be a real eye opener especially re: the effects of chemicals/pollutants on the body and alternative as well as the role of parasites including Giardiasis (very common in India) in many diseases, and most importantly how you can cure yourself.

I personally sometimes get Delhi Belly even before touch down in Mother India so i always go well stocked with several bottles of herbal anti-parasitic remedies which i can thoroughly recommend (asatrue Veteran of Giardia and many other nasties)!The one i take is Black Walnut and Wormwood and Clove tincture (either by Natures Answer or Clarkia 100 liquid formula) I also take a good probiotic that doesn't need to be refrigerated and all these are available from The Nutri Centre and some other good health food stores (not H & B though), you can even get them to send you your order to India if you run out via www.nutricentre.com

Well sorry this may all sound a bit depressing, but i hope some of this info will be of use to some of you, as i had to learn the hard way taking metronidazole and other antibiotics etc on and off in India, but whilst very occasional use may be ok, on the whole these are best avoided if you can cure your self with herbal remedies in my opinion (obviously please check with your GP if in anydoubt about suitability of particular remedies for you as many aren't advisable if pregnant or in certain health condition).
Good luck and stay healthy!

Finally as i think Tony may have mentioned before(?) the Green Coconuts are an excellent natural alternative to manufactued drinks as they contain the perfect elecrolyte balance so they really are the best thing to drinkto prevent/treat dehydration (water alone won't do it) and generally cost around Rs20, although kids may take a bit of convincing to get used to the taste maybe(?)

Hi TDK,
Great Tips.
Yes the more i here about the fizzy drinks saga,the more worried i become. Our kids would drink a lot of Limca.....not anymore!
Thank God our kids have never suffered any ailments in Goa but i want to do everything possible to keep it that way.
Janis and I have both suffered Delhi Belly........not pleasant at all.......so we tend to tread cautiously if you know what i mean.
Good tip on the green coconuts....didnt know this......always thought bottled water would do the trick.

These supermarkets seem to be the ticket.
Theirs a small one in Arpora were our apartment is......well they call it a supermarket but its no bigger than a UK corner shop.
I must admit i dont recall noticing many large ones so more info on these from anyone would be great.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:38 am

Hi Noni,
The supermarket in Panjim seems to be the ticket.
I am always afraid to give the kids ice cream in Goa as i dont know if it contains non bottled water or not.
Thanks for the info-great stuff.

Kind Regards,
Remy.

There is a new Supermarket, but I can't remember the name, the old local one
is behind the market in Panjim - looks grotty, but large nescafe cheaper than at home and all the things you need (brand names) to set up the apartment.
For new people to the site, always look at the price printed on the packets as some of the other (posher) supermarkets try to overcharge, as do some local shops, we call it white price charges. Don't mind paying less, but not more. It is worth going into the Panjim local ones to buy all the necessaries then just buy where you happen to be.

There is a new supermarket opening opposite Sea Shell, but I expect it will be expensive.

The local shops have icecream never had a problem with it, it is their
Walls, but much, much, cheaper. Vienetta's, lollies, magnums etc. You see the "Walls" sign. You won't tell the difference - except in your pocket.
Don't buy from the man on his bike, or eat fruit from the fruit woman!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

There is a new Supermarket, but I can't remember the name, the old local one
is behind the market in Panjim - looks grotty, but large nescafe cheaper than at home and all the things you need (brand names) to set up the apartment.
For new people to the site, always look at the price printed on the packets as some of the other (posher) supermarkets try to overcharge, as do some local shops, we call it white price charges. Don't mind paying less, but not more. It is worth going into the Panjim local ones to buy all the necessaries then just buy where you happen to be.

There is a new supermarket opening opposite Sea Shell, but I expect it will be expensive.

The local shops have icecream never had a problem with it, it is their
Walls, but much, much, cheaper. Vienetta's, lollies, magnums etc. You see the "Walls" sign. You won't tell the difference - except in your pocket.
Don't buy from the man on his bike, or eat fruit from the fruit woman!
Hi Noni,

Panjim seems to be the place to go for the supermarkets.
Yes i now know about the fruit woman
They sell Magnums in Goa?
How did i miss that?
Bet their expensive though.

I must familarise myself more with Panjim.
Have only really been a couple of times as Janis likes the Levi store etc but found it difficult to find any real shops. I dont know were the taxi dropped us off but we seemed to do a lot of walking to find anything.
Does it have like a main street/shopping area or something?

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:41 am
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: How much money does a family of four need in Goa for 3 months?

Hi TDK,
Great Tips.
Yes the more i here about the fizzy drinks saga,the more worried i become. Our kids would drink a lot of Limca.....not anymore!
Thank God our kids have never suffered any ailments in Goa but i want to do everything possible to keep it that way.
Janis and I have both suffered Delhi Belly........not pleasant at all.......so we tend to tread cautiously if you know what i mean.
Good tip on the green coconuts....didnt know this......always thought bottled water would do the trick.

These supermarkets seem to be the ticket.
Theirs a small one in Arpora were our apartment is......well they call it a supermarket but its no bigger than a UK corner shop.
I must admit i dont recall noticing many large ones so more info on these from anyone would be great.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi again Remy and i forgot to mention that apart fron the supermarket (eqivalent to a Tesco metro) at Oxford Arcade just past the main cross roads in Anjuna (just a few kms from Arpora), theres also 2 very good grocery stores near the church in Anjuna (called Oxford store and Orchard Store). Although pretty small, they are jam packed with just about everything a Westerner needs inc' some imported stuff and bakery, fruit, drinks and real S.Indian coffee etc.

Last time i was in Goa i asked why there were so few Green Coconuts for sale, and i don't know if its right but i was told by a local that its due to the traffic pollution so they don't grow so well(?) I did find a stall after a serious search mission at Mapsa market and also a small stall when i stayed in Arambol just off the beach side of the road close to Double Dutch restaurant, but rarely came accross any more (oh there was a stall in Calangute). Anyway its a real pity cos i sort of took it for granted when i spent a few months in A.P., Kerala, T.N. etc where you can easily find em.

I'd also be interested to find out more about the supermarket etc in Panjim as like you i've been a few times but mainly for tiles/lawyers!I did find a great S.Indian restaurant (with family a/c area upstairs) which does loads of yummy masala dosas etc and juices and very popular with the middle class Indians so pretty safe i think. Can't remember name but most locals would know it.
Well bye for now - TDK
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:47 am

Hi Noni,

Panjim seems to be the place to go for the supermarkets.
Yes i now know about the fruit woman
They sell Magnums in Goa?
How did i miss that?
Bet their expensive though.

I must familarise myself more with Panjim.
Have only really been a couple of times as Janis likes the Levi store etc but found it difficult to find any real shops. I dont know were the taxi dropped us off but we seemed to do a lot of walking to find anything.
Does it have like a main street/shopping area or something?

Kind Regards,
Remy
oh yes! Magnums about 20p. choc ices. vienetta, cornetto's. The prices are on the advertising cards - just like here - but cheaper.
Don't get caught on Coco Beach by the man on the bike if you are a FN you pay x 5 times as much.

Don't like Panjim - Go to the supermarket, and for bits and bobs when needs must. Say hullo at the police station! Most of the shops are tacky - and I can't stand Bombay Bazzar where they follow you all the time. Have been coming to Goa since early 90's and am still looking for what the guide books call "The Magnificient Shopping Malls of Panjim".

We have our Jeans made in Candolim about £8. next to Flambe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.