GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by John Chappell
Absolutely right Andy,

Neither is there any mention of registering with the FRRO to comfirm establishment of "Residency" under the rules outlined within FEMA.

Regards to all

John
Hi John,

You and Andy are both correct, nor is there any mention of 183 "continuous" days stay. I also agree with Andy that the Purpose/Intention of stay can be to stay for an indefinite period to purchase a house or be resident : being resident by whatever definition proves an intention to stay in India without leaving for an indefinite period.

However, a Resident Permit confers certain small privileges such as Indian prices on travel and entry to monuments, purchase and registration of vehicles, and registration of electricity, telephone and PWD water supply accounts in your own name.

Possibly not that important to most people, but the more I can endorse my legal ownwership the better, and my ownership is legal, it just takes the relevant officials to do their job and correctly interpret both FEMA and RBI regulations as they themselves have set them out. There lies the problem!

All that stuff about not being allowed to own property, assets, investments, foreign exchange whilst claiming reidency in India was not much more than hysteria (thankfully). I'm not for "No Going Back"!

I wonder how Vijay Mallya (UB Breweries, Kingfisher Beer, Kingfisher Airlines, Whyte & Mckay Distillers, Scotland) gets on with his residency when he visits his Scottish castle, Knightsbridge apartment, Whyte & McKay Distillers in Edinburgh, or his 6 ranches in South Africa?

Best wishes
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:01 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babu1
Hi John,

You and Andy are both correct, nor is there any mention of 183 "continuous" days stay. I also agree with Andy that the Purpose/Intention of stay can be to stay for an indefinite period to purchase a house or be resident : being resident by whatever definition proves an intention to stay in India without leaving for an indefinite period.

However, a Resident Permit confers certain small privileges such as Indian prices on travel and entry to monuments, purchase and registration of vehicles, and registration of electricity, telephone and PWD water supply accounts in your own name.

Possibly not that important to most people, but the more I can endorse my legal ownwership the better, and my ownership is legal, it just takes the relevant officials to do their job and correctly interpret both FEMA and RBI regulations as they themselves have set them out. There lies the problem!

All that stuff about not being allowed to own property, assets, investments, foreign exchange whilst claiming reidency in India was not much more than hysteria (thankfully). I'm not for "No Going Back"!

I wonder how Vijay Mallya (UB Breweries, Kingfisher Beer, Kingfisher Airlines, Whyte & Mckay Distillers, Scotland) gets on with his residency when he visits his Scottish castle, Knightsbridge apartment, Whyte & McKay Distillers in Edinburgh, or his 6 ranches in South Africa?

Best wishes
Hi Babu
Last paragraph - than is them and we are us - poor individuals. But
the :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:: curse: will not grind me down.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

well said!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

John Chappell will become famous soon enoughJohn Chappell will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=babu1;5386123]Hi John,

Hi,

Just for info Babu1, I have been told by my local travel agent (Cochin) that FN's can now pay rupee fares on all travel whether resident or not, and hotel bills can be paid at rupee rate, although if above Rs25,000 a PAN Card or Account Number has to be produced, but agree with you entirely on the other points.

Regards

John
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Hi Remy,
not sure what you mean by 'residency rights' - and as has been frequently pointed out FEMA does not mention visas at all; also if you bought legally it's yours. Noni and others are still getting 1 or 2 year 'x' visas and the only (!) problem with a tourist visa *once you've bought* is that you have to leave every 180 days.
OTOH if you haven't bought - DON'T!

AndyD 8-)#
Hi Andy/All,

Yes it might not mention visas but it does say only Resident FNs can legally purchase property, and to become resident you need to complete 183 days in a fiscal year and now prove intention to stay......although it dosent mention visas, you need one that will allow you to do this. The 180 days restriction prevents you from completing the 'residency time' in one foul sweep which many prefer to do. Also a five year x could have been used as a tool to prove 'intention to stay' and many easily achieved residency on one.....but its going to be hard to do this on a tourist visa with a 180 day max stay restriction. I know of many people who got their residency with a 5 year x but im not aware of anyone who got it with a tourist visa........but i will happily stand corrected on this.

Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Hi Remy,

If the person is a bona fide journalist my feeling would be that the emphasis should be on the inept and corrupt practices of the developers, agents and advocates; false promises, blatant lies, and improper advice; the systemic corruption of the politicians being hand in glove with the builder's lobby; a judiciary and bureaucracy that does not understand the interpretation or correct implementation of the law; the lack of professional standards of regulation, accountability, and redress; a minority population of self sufficient foreign nationals being used as scapegoats for political purposes; and the real issue of Goan identity being truly overwhelmed by a massive influx of impoverished economic migrants from other Indian State; not simply an article that reads merely as a succession of woefull accounts of "stupid foreigners" being duped, and "fools and their money being easily parted".

Name and shame the locals, give a warning against the false promises of the UK agents, and reveal it as a scandal that is now tarnishing Goa's already deteriorating reputation.

But then I'm not writing the potential article (just as well!), but will watch with interest.

Best wishes

P.S Keep posting - not too far from that 1,000th. post now!!
Hi Babu,

Thats it ....get it all off your chest.
Feel better now?
Btw...i agree with you.

Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by curious about goa
Hi all, I'm writing a feature about buying in India, especially Goa. If anyone is happy to talk to me about their buying (or failed) experience, please email me with your brief story and contact details, many thanks. I'm looking for UK and also Irish buyers.

Hi Curious in goa,

I wonder how many people will be prepared to talk to you. With respect if we give our names, we risk having problems with visa renewals etc. as others have found. Could you not take our story from this site. It certainly will take a great deal of time reading all the threads.

We certainly need a voice to help us with our problem.

Good luck anyway.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi John,

I wonder how Vijay Mallya (UB Breweries, Kingfisher Beer, Kingfisher Airlines, Whyte & Mckay Distillers, Scotland) gets on with his residency when he visits his Scottish castle, Knightsbridge apartment, Whyte & McKay Distillers in Edinburgh, or his 6 ranches in South Africa?Best wishes

Perhaps you should invite VJ to your Christmas Bash and ask his advice
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noni
Hi,

I really am very angry :curse::curse: why are people still allowed to offer properties for sale knowing we can't purchase, can't get the right visa, the register is close to FN.

"Frequently asked questions and answers" on goapropertysales.co.uk. website

The rules have changed recently in India regarding property purchase?
They have not changed since 1999

We hear on a regular basis that you cannot invest in India unless you have lived there for six months.
Not true we bought our property off plan without having visited India at the time.

You cannot own property in india unless you stay there for 183 days consecutively.
Not true we can show you how to own property outright, but many people indeed to stay the 183 days anyway

Can I get an extended VISA to cover more thant 6 months. YES :curse:

Do I need a business visa to set up a business? No

Do I need a Business VISA once I setup a limited company? YES

I cannot get my money out of India.

Not true you can repatriate your funds including the profit you make on production of a FIRC (Foreign Investment Remittance Certificate) And after taking the RBI's permission

probably on this site somewhere, but feel better now have typed it out.

Hi Curious

Perhaps you could start with people like these, who lead the FN's into the position we find ourselves in. These are the sort of lies that cause all the problems. :curse:
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

curious about goa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old man
Hi Curious in goa,

I wonder how many people will be prepared to talk to you. With respect if we give our names, we risk having problems with visa renewals etc. as others have found. Could you not take our story from this site. It certainly will take a great deal of time reading all the threads.

We certainly need a voice to help us with our problem.

Good luck anyway.
Hi, Thanks for that. I have spoken already to one of your members and have assured him that I will quote him anonymously, which I definitely will do! I didn't realise that by giving your names you might jeapordise your visas-obviously your identitiy must be protected- so if anyone posts particular issues here I can refer to them when I interview your member more fully over the weekend. Obviously I'm new to Goa issues but from what I've learned already (just returned from a trip to Goa and several Indian cities) it seems that the smaller developers/agents are selling property on land which is contentious (having been rezoned from green to pink). Foreigners can legally buy through setting up companies or by fulfilling the 183 day stay requirement but obviously there are problems with this and with selling on your properties. All tips onissues to cover in the feature will be gratefully received. My aim is to produce a balanced fair piece if possible.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:57 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Thanks for that. I have spoken already to one of your members and have assured him that I will quote him anonymously, which I definitely will do! I didn't realise that by giving your names you might jeapordise your visas-obviously your identitiy must be protected- so if anyone posts particular issues here I can refer to them when I interview your member more fully over the weekend. Obviously I'm new to Goa issues but from what I've learned already (just returned from a trip to Goa and several Indian cities) it seems that the smaller developers/agents are selling property on land which is contentious (having been rezoned from green to pink). Foreigners can legally buy through setting up companies or by fulfilling the 183 day stay requirement but obviously there are problems with this and with selling on your properties. All tips onissues to cover in the feature will be gratefully received. My aim is to produce a balanced fair piece if possible.

Hi

Unfortunately there is no way you can purchase a property in Goa at the moment and those who think they have "bought" (having paid for the property) cannot register the property in their name as the Register is closed to Foreign Nationals - there is no way around it.

When I say no way "to buy"- yes - developers will take your money and tell you a lot of bullshit and you think you have bought BUT :curse::curse: at the end of the day the property still belongs to them. They may offer you a lease on your property, but after five years you have to do the 182 days and you won't get the correct x visa. So the best plan is to rent.

People who have bought properties and register them have been asked to leave the country :curse: and given 15 days notice.

For your research the letter we received from the Directorate of Enforcement is one www.indiamike.com Property in India 2 Page 3 8th May thread 301, to date we have no heard any more from them.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

hello Curious,

have to agree with babu1. I hope that as a journalist you will be able to cover more than the FN property issue in Goa. There is a vacuum that exists in Goa relating to identity, what that identity is, who owns it, and the struggle over it. More than iron ore, Goa is a mine that is being mercilessly emptied, by which process it's people, the environment, civil government and society is eroding at a ferocious pace. The presence of FNs gives hope that this trend of destruction will slow down. Call on your muse and write fast!!.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Kinrara will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi Andy/All,

Yes it might not mention visas but it does say only Resident FNs can legally purchase property, and to become resident you need to complete 183 days in a fiscal year and now prove intention to stay......although it dosent mention visas, you need one that will allow you to do this. The 180 days restriction prevents you from completing the 'residency time' in one foul sweep which many prefer to do. Also a five year x could have been used as a tool to prove 'intention to stay' and many easily achieved residency on one.....but its going to be hard to do this on a tourist visa with a 180 day max stay restriction. I know of many people who got their residency with a 5 year x but im not aware of anyone who got it with a tourist visa........but i will happily stand corrected on this.

Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy

This is so confusing, what happens if you do 183 days in a fiscal year on a 1 year tourist visa, max 180 days, can you then ask for residency?

Regards
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kinrara
Hi Remy

This is so confusing, what happens if you do 183 days in a fiscal year on a 1 year tourist visa, max 180 days, can you then ask for residency?

Regards
Hi Kinrara,

If you have a 1 Year Tourist Visa, maximum stay 180 days, that means you have to leave the country by the 180th. day (from the date of issue of the Visa; not from the date of your arrival in India) at the latest, and re-enter India, or you may be able to make an application to overstay your 180 days but I would expect the condition of stay on your 1 Year Tourist Visa would be enforced except in exceptional circumstances such as serious prolonged illness.

Once you have left India and journeyed back there again you will have completed 183 days in the fiscal year as soon as these two periods of stay add up to more than 182 days in the fiscal year of 1st. April to 31st. March.

I am not aware of any conditions in FEMA that your stay should be continuous to qualify for a more than 182 day stay, and I have been advised that this is the case by two different Advocates.

Some people will argue that a Tourist Visa by definition (no matter if you do 182+ days on 2 visits in the same fiscal year) does not confer any rights to purchase immovable property anyway because the term "Tourist" is unsatisfactory as an "Intention/Purpose" of visit : you are a "tourist", and not a "resident" within the terms of FEMA.

So, since FEMA makes no mention of types of Visa, or of a "continuous 182+ day stay" condition, it could be argued that being a "tourist" whilst seeking to purchase an appropriate property is a valid enough "Purpose and Intention".

If you have completed more than 182 days between 1st. April 2006 and 31st. March 2007, you would be able to approach the Sub Registrar to register your Sale Deed now if they hadn't closed the Register to all foreigners since about August 2006.

If you are attempting to complete more than 182 days in the fiscal year 2007 to 2008, then you will have to start counting your eligible days stay in India between 1st. April 2007 and 31st. March 2008.

This would be in the hope that the Register re-opens for foreign nationals, and all other criteria having been met, you would be hoping to register your Sale Deed after 1st. April 2008 since that is the fiscal year following the year in which you completed your 182+ days.

There are a number of people anxious for clarification on the re-opening of the Register, if not for purchase, then in order to sell. Everything is in limbo, although I did read that you can request the Sub Registrar to give his reasons for refusal to register in writing and he is lawfully bound to do so. This will inevitably be referred to the Home Department, and The Directorate of Enforcement, and you will get a reply also.

The FRO In Panjim may oblige by explaining their criteria for issuing Resident Permits, so I wish you luck and patience.

Would be obliged if you could post back with any info/responses from the Goan side.

Hope this helps.

P.S,Did you buy a bike as intended or still hiring? Was it you I asked about going online in Goa through a mobile and laptop? - still don't understand how it works or what it costs!

P.P.S These are the definitions of "person resident in India within the terms of FEMA:

http://www.helplinelaw.com/docs/fema/fem02.php

B. "PERSON RESIDENT IN INDIA"

"A person resident in India", shall include any of the following

(I) A person who has been residing in India for more than 182 days, in the last financial year. This means if a person has to be assessed, as to whether he is person resident in India, for any offence committed in August 2001, then he should be residing in India for more than 182 days during April 2000 to March 2001

(II) Any person or body corporate registered or incorporated in India, or

(III) An office, branch or agency in India owned or controlled by a person resident outside India, or

(IV) An office, branch or agency outside India owned or controlled by a person resident in India.

However, in following cases a person shall not be person resident in India", even if he is residing in India for more than 182 days in the last financial year:

(i) A person who has gone abroad, for :

Taking up employment outside India or
For carrying on any business outside India, or
For any other purpose, which itself would indicate his intention to stay outside India for an uncertain period.
(ii) Similarly, a person who has come to India for any purpose except :

Taking up employment in India, or
Carrying on any business in India, or
For any other purpose, which itself would indicate his intention to stay in India for an uncertain period.

© copyright 2000-2003, Helplinelaw.com
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

babu1 said:
I did read that you can request the Sub Registrar to give his reasons for refusal to register in writing and he is lawfully bound to do so
yes, but otoh he is lawfully bound to register a properly prepared Deed / Agreement of Sale!!!
...about going online in Goa through a mobile and laptop? - still don't understand how it works or what it costs
I am doing exactly that at the moment. It took some days to get correct intructions from Airtel but it is now up and running. I get about 32 kbps down and 14 kbps up - which is roughly similar to dial-up speed, slow but useable for email / browsing but not downloads. In addition to the usual SIM cost it's just Rs 15 a day (no other charges, or so I'm told). It should be possible to do the same thing with a pcmcia data modem card but I haven't managed that yet.

hth AndyD 8-)#

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.