Wikiposts

GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Sep 30th 2007, 7:15 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by More
emy I cant remember who told us. I think it was the advocate. My situation is that I am a FN and bought on a 5 year x visa. We have got the sale deeds etc but the visa is coming up for renewal so thats where the problems will start. It is very unsettling. We have a place in Goa.

Hi More,
Like you our 5 year visa has just run out - we went to the HCI London with all our Sale Deeds, Bank Statements etc. etc. but were only given a 2 year visa. We were lucky people now are, queuing for hours and getting one year visa.

Anyway as you will have read we are being investigate by the Directorate of Enforcement - although we have done nothing wrong - well not at the time of purchase, nor when registered.

Have you retired to Goa?

Please look at Alabamagoa thread www.indiamike.com/india part 2 seems things can get worse, and more running around for the beaurocrats :curse::curse:
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

emy I cant remember who told us. I think it was the advocate. My situation is that I am a FN and bought on a 5 year x visa. We have got the sale deeds etc but the visa is coming up for renewal so thats where the problems will start. It is very unsettling. We have a place in Goa.
Hi More,

As you already know, you will probably end up with a 1 year T Visa with the 180day max stay restriction.

Have you ever had a letter from the Directorate of Enforcement regarding being investigated for possible breach of FEMA?
Just wondering as a few members of BE who are in the same predicament as yourself have got these letters.

If its any consulation there are many many FNs in the same situation as yourself, hopefully the Goan government will eventually come to some sort of compromise. Like you say,"It is very unsettling".

Let us know how you get on with your visa renewal.
Will you be in Goa for the Christmas Bash?

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:35 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Hi More,
Like you our 5 year visa has just run out - we went to the HCI London with all our Sale Deeds, Bank Statements etc. etc. but were only given a 2 year visa. We were lucky people now are, queuing for hours and getting one year visa.

Anyway as you will have read we are being investigate by the Directorate of Enforcement - although we have done nothing wrong - well not at the time of purchase, nor when registered.

Have you retired to Goa?

Please look at Alabamagoa thread www.indiamike.com/india part 2 seems things can get worse, and more running around for the beaurocrats :curse::curse:
Hi, Sorry I can't get this url to work.

I hope the lady who put it on india mike does not mind me typing out what she says. I feel it is very important for us all to read. Just goes to show
how difficult it is to sell!.

"Well the situation we have found ourselves in is this now!!! we have been investigated by FEMA and all o.k. (went to Mumbai) we have been told after going to the RBI that you dont need permission to sell from them only to buy (but you cant buy if your a foreigner) We went back to the state bank where we transfered our money from uk to india, they used to give a certificate out but no longer issue them!!! but said that a statement stating that money came in via the bank would do, so back to the Advocate, now his saying we need NOC from RBI (who didnt want to know yesterday) advise from the collector in Mapusa!!! nightmare and we bought our property legally, god help the people that have been persuaded to purchase property through builders and have the incorrect visa they dont stand a chance of recovering their money when they want to sell."

The authorities are certainly giving this lady the run around.

I wish her good luck and patience.

Noni
Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

More is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi More,

As you already know, you will probably end up with a 1 year T Visa with the 180day max stay restriction.

Have you ever had a letter from the Directorate of Enforcement regarding being investigated for possible breach of FEMA?
Just wondering as a few members of BE who are in the same predicament as yourself have got these letters.

If its any consulation there are many many FNs in the same situation as yourself, hopefully the Goan government will eventually come to some sort of compromise. Like you say,"It is very unsettling".

Let us know how you get on with your visa renewal.
Will you be in Goa for the Christmas Bash?

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy, No I have not had THE letter, but I know of three people who have. Two of them got their advocate to deal with it and have not heard anymore and one has had to go to Bombay. I dont know yet haw he got on. What happens if they give a T visa? That means you lose residency and not entitled to own a property!!!!!!!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:21 am

Hi Remy, No I have not had THE letter, but I know of three people who have. Two of them got their advocate to deal with it and have not heard anymore and one has had to go to Bombay. I dont know yet haw he got on. What happens if they give a T visa? That means you lose residency and not entitled to own a property!!!!!!!

Hi More,

We as you have read have had "The Letter" and it is in the hands of our Advocate, who says he has not heard anything for any of us only an acknowledgement. :curse: :curse: You say one person has been to Bombay is this because they were representing themselves or were they just pick out.

Thanks Noni
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:50 am
Just Joined

robindog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TONY P
Hi Robin
Firstly welcome to the forum, to address your query about a lifetime tenancy I have to ask why you would want to buy a property in someone elses name and then arrange a lease for your lifetime at the end of which the property passes back to the owner and not on to your family. Why not just rent/lease a property for 5 years at a time, let your own money work earning you interest and if you get fed up with the property you could move on to a new one and still have your capital, earning you money.
Remember you can't lease for more than 5 years at a time if you are not a resident.
I feel that it is best NOT to look for a way round the system but try and get the most out of the system by using it to your advantage.
Regards
Tony P
THanks tony
We will be treading very cautiously and definitely keeping our hands in our pockets
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Hi RobinDog,

A very warm welcome to the forum.
OMG yous are coming in thick and fast today.

Your friends were indeed very very lucky to obtain a two year visa even though it still has the '180 day max stay' restriction on it.

The x-visa is virtually now non existent and the old 5 year x all but a distant dream. A 1 year tourist visa with the 180 day max stay seems to be the norm now, for the lucky ones.

The thing is, what happens if and when they restrict the visa further or replace the current standard 6 month one with a 3 month tourist visa.

Trying to get around the legalities of buying property in Goa becomes worthless if you cannot get to it or stay in it as and when you desire.
This is why i would certainly discourage any FN from parting with good hard cold cash for property in Goa at this time.

The PIO suggestion of yours may have some merit but having a lifelong tenancy is not worth the paper its wrote on if your restricted or worst still forbidden from using the property. It could turn out to be a very expensive rental agreement me thinks.

Buying in Goa at this time, is filled with too much uncertainty. Look elsewhere or negotiate a good rental arrangement for your visits to Goa.
At this time, Be safe not Sorry.

Kind Regards,
Remy
THanks for your help. Will now definitely be keeping our hands in our pockets and so glad we found this site before committing ourselves
Old Oct 1st 2007, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robindog
Hi Folks
I am a relative newcomer here and someone who is battling with the process's of trying to find a way around the current dilemma of buying property in Goa.
We would like to live there on a permanent basis but are very concerned about the pitfalls of buying over there.
We have a number of friends who are in various stages ofpurchase including a friend who has built tjeir own villa but still not got their place registered even though they have lived there for five years. They have recently returned to the uk to renew their visas and were told that they would only be allowed a two year visa (which they were told was exceptional) and that they would be required to leave the country every six months.
However I am going off track here.
Does anyone think that there could be a way round this situation by having a PIO or NRI buying properties over here and then selling a lifetime tenancy to uk citizens in the uk. This type of arrangement is often used by timeshare companies in this country
ANY IDEAS ANYONE??????
Thanks to you all for your valuable comments. Have learnt more here in the past few hours/days than we have in the last two years.
Many of our friends in Goa who have already bought property are going to be very frustrated and annoyed
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Hi More,

Correct!
A tourist (T) visa with its 180 day max stay will mean that you will lose Residency rights.
Douglas M had predicted all this would happen some time ago and was scorned at by many.
If you get a chance read Douglas's posts on this 'Buyer Beware' thread....its a real eye opener.

Regards,
Remy

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; Oct 1st 2007 at 4:21 am.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robindog
Thanks to you all for your valuable comments. Have learnt more here in the past few hours/days than we have in the last two years.
Many of our friends in Goa who have already bought property are going to be very frustrated and annoyed
Hi Robindog,

Congratulations on doing your homework.
You have had a very lucky escape and your right, a lot of people are going to be very frustated and annoyed.

I am so annoyed for them.......and then you have scrupulous property developers coming directly on to our forum telling people 'now is a good time to buy in Goa':curse::curse::curse:

Well done to the Administrator for Banning the p***k.

Regards,
Remy
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Robindog,

Congratulations on doing your homework.
You have had a very lucky escape and your right, a lot of people are going to be very frustated and annoyed.

I am so annoyed for them.......and then you have scrupulous property developers coming directly on to our forum telling people 'now is a good time to buy in Goa':curse::curse::curse:

Well done to the Administrator for Banning the p***k.

Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy I think you might mean UNscrupulous.
Personally I think that a bit of panic is setting in, where are all those rich out of state Indians that were supposed to fill the shoes of the gullible FNs.
TP
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:22 am

Hi Remy I think you might mean UNscrupulous.
Personally I think that a bit of panic is setting in, where are all those rich out of state Indians that were supposed to fill the shoes of the gullible FNs.
TP
He is very excitable to-day - think he needs a holiday.
You are right, there are a few Estate Agents/Developers coming on here in disguise. You see all these new developements going up, there will be no FN's to purchase them unless things change.

Noni

p.s. what do you think of 723 above.

Last edited by noni; Oct 1st 2007 at 9:05 am.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, there are a few Estate Agents/Developers coming on here in disguise. You see all these new developements going up, there will be no FN's to purchase them unless things change.

Noni
Hi Noni
Like the new avatar. Yes our Remy does seem a bit upset today, is there a shortage of Noff?
Tony
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:04 am

Hi Noni
Like the new avatar. Yes our Remy does seem a bit upset today, is there a shortage of Noff?
Tony

Bless him, being "one of them" and Irish and lost the match yesterday
(like Wales) has taken the ....... out of him. Needs the sun, sea, s... and
'noffi in Goa

As you said, and my grandson says when I explode

"Calm down dear, Calm down, it's only a commercial" Noni
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Noni

p.s. what do you think of 723 above.

Hello im here,

I can see what your writing about me you know.
Good grief at least have the manners to abuse me in a PM to each other.

Seriously though, i think you two are spot on, they(estate agents/developers) seem to be coming on here now fishing for business. Maybe they are starting to feel the pinch.

Regards,
Remy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.