GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

indiapurple will become famous soon enoughindiapurple will become famous soon enough
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by indiapurple
Hi Douglas

I don't think this is a new piece of legislation....I'm sure I remember reading it on Indiamike at the beginning of the year??

regards
Indiapurple
Just checked...it was actually in March. I think somebody on IM has just requested that the thread be made into a sticky, so they have give it a new heading, making it look like new news.

Indiapurple
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Bryson7 will become famous soon enoughBryson7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Bryson 7,

Fundamental point here, no transfer takes place on a freeholder offering a lease to a FN .

Do you mean refused by the freeholder at renewal, or the authorities?

Regarding problems selling, the leaseholder has nothing to sell. The whole system is based on the hope that a greater fool will pay massive amounts of money for a short term lease to the freeholder and that the freeholder will then transfer some of that money back to the original leaseholder. The psychology behind it is similar to a chain letter, but the payment system is less direct.

It is doubtful if rbi will continue to tolerate this practice of rollover, as with the participation of all concerned it effectively becomes a perpetual lease. FEMA was written to restrict the involvement of FNs in immovable property to a max of 5 years, that was done for a reason and the authorities do not like evasion or avoidance practices.

Once FNs start to trade these leases, it will be seen as stamp duty evasion and pseudo ownership and the authorities will act to prevent it.

There is also the problem of repatriation of the proceeds and tax avoidance on any profit.

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas,
I would like your opinion as to wether you think these clauses in a lease contract would break Indian government rules regarding the 5 year lease rule;

1. The Lessee has entered into this Lease Agreement in respect of the said unit with the intention of acquiring the freehold rights thereto as soon as he/ she/ they become/s eligible to do so under the applicable law, and hence both parties have agreed that :

2 in the event that the lessee does not become eligible before the end of the lease period specified herein, the lease shall be renewed on the same terms and lease rent. The lease shall be renewed for a futher 58 month periods until such time as the Lessee becomes eligible to acquire the freehold of the said unit under the applicable law.

This is only a small extract of the Lease document, it also says that these terms are passed on to ones heirs.

Douglas do you think the above could be seen as going against the "spirit" of the law, or is it in your opinion "legal" ?
My lawyer in Goa appeared to think it was perfectly legal and would not cause any problems.
If deemed legal it would appear that the Lessee might in fact have something to sell.
Best Regards Bryson
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bryson7
Hi Douglas,
I would like your opinion as to wether you think these clauses in a lease contract would break Indian government rules regarding the 5 year lease rule;

1. The Lessee has entered into this Lease Agreement in respect of the said unit with the intention of acquiring the freehold rights thereto as soon as he/ she/ they become/s eligible to do so under the applicable law, and hence both parties have agreed that :

2 in the event that the lessee does not become eligible before the end of the lease period specified herein, the lease shall be renewed on the same terms and lease rent. The lease shall be renewed for a futher 58 month periods until such time as the Lessee becomes eligible to acquire the freehold of the said unit under the applicable law.

This is only a small extract of the Lease document, it also says that these terms are passed on to ones heirs.

Douglas do you think the above could be seen as going against the "spirit" of the law, or is it in your opinion "legal" ?
My lawyer in Goa appeared to think it was perfectly legal and would not cause any problems.
If deemed legal it would appear that the Lessee might in fact have something to sell.
Best Regards Bryson
Hi Bryson7,

I am not a lawyer but i am happy to give a personal opinion.

In para 2 the word "shall" indicates a large degree of certainty to me with regard to renewal and as such is not in keeping with the spirit of FEMA .

To demonstrate that it was a clean 58 month lease i would have thought that there would be some form of march out or cut off clause in the lease, indicating a clean break at the end of the 58 month period.

As to being legal or not, does the "shall" clause give you the right to renew and if you have the right to renew, does that mean you effectively have a perpetual lease? If you effectively have a perpetual lease does it contravene statute (FEMA) or case law? You would need to speak to a decent lawyer in one of the main cities on this matter .That would only give you an opinion, the true test would be if an official were to state that it was illegal and could you win the appeal against that decision?

In order to have a resale value, there would have to be a transfer clause contained in the lease allowing the lessee to sell both the lease and/or the right to renew.

regards
douglas
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi Bryson7,

I am not a lawyer but i am happy to give a personal opinion.

In para 2 the word "shall" indicates a large degree of certainty to me with regard to renewal and as such is not in keeping with the spirit of FEMA .

To demonstrate that it was a clean 58 month lease i would have thought that there would be some form of march out or cut off clause in the lease, indicating a clean break at the end of the 58 month period.

As to being legal or not, does the "shall" clause give you the right to renew and if you have the right to renew, does that mean you effectively have a perpetual lease? If you effectively have a perpetual lease does it contravene statute (FEMA) or case law? You would need to speak to a decent lawyer in one of the main cities on this matter .That would only give you an opinion, the true test would be if an official were to state that it was illegal and could you win the appeal against that decision?

In order to have a resale value, there would have to be a transfer clause contained in the lease allowing the lessee to sell both the lease and/or the right to renew.

regards
douglas
see my comments - #618
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by a_f_d
see my comments - #618

Hi All,

This link is from todays Goan Voice.

http://news.realestatetv.tv/India_du..._18246945.html

What you think?

Regards,
Remy

Last edited by Remy-Ireland; Aug 16th 2007 at 10:58 am. Reason: Fix link
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kinrara will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi All,

This link is from todays Goan Voice.

http://news.realestatetv.tv/India_du..._18246945.html

What you think?

Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy

I like the last paragraph!

"According to Assetz, investment in Indian property is currently only available to non-resident Indians and people of Indian origin. It is launching real estate funds in September that are accessible to all investors"

Fingers & toes crossed.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kinrara
Hi Remy

"According to Assetz, investment in Indian property is currently only available to non-resident Indians and people of Indian origin. It is launching real estate funds in September that are accessible to all investors"

Fingers & toes crossed.
Yeah, i read that.
But i dont pretend to understand it ............its all sort of whooooooosh (over my head)

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Aug 16th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, i read that.
But i dont pretend to understand it ............its all sort of whooooooosh (over my head)

Kind Regards,
Remy
Quick post something we're on no.666
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:14 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Quick post something we're on no.666
Hi Remy, & thanks for the link although i don't think its much to celebrate for FNs if all we'll be able to do is buy shares in Indian real estate funds although i guess it could be quite a lucrative investment pehaps
Regards
TDK
Old Aug 16th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

indiapurple will become famous soon enoughindiapurple will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kinrara
Hi Remy

Fingers & toes crossed.

I may be way off here (not unusual for me at this time of night!!) but I took it to mean that investment would be accessible in September for those investors who qualify ???

regards
Indiapurple
Old Sep 21st 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

Hi All,

Apologies, I thought I'd bring this very interesting thread back to the top. It's been slipping into obscurity.

Interesting article to follow, if a little unfactual and all over the place, but have a read:

http://mangalorean.com/news.php?news...adcastid=53498

"Sorrowing Lies My Land" is a very famous novel by journalist Lambert Mascarenhas, first published in 1955, but last available in hardback at The Other India Bookstore, Mapusa, or Hotel Mandovi Bookshop, Panjim, amongst other outlets.

It recounts the growing repression of the Portugese colonials, particularly under the authority of Salazar prior to revolution??/ liberation?? / invasion??, and is a manifesto for self rule in the hope of better things to come.

Goan academics are still at loggerheads as to these various "historical truths" to this day. In many ways the continuing debate, the debacle over the withdrawl of the controversial historical DVD two years ago (you can see large extracts of it on youtube) , do little more than divert attention from the true realities of Goan society as they stand today.

Incidentally, it is my contention that the British held a very brief and never mentioned period of rule in Goa during the Napoleonic Wars when Portugal had become our enemy as part of Bonaparte's Empire. Certainly, there is a well maintained English Cemetary on the left, down a hill at the entrancre to Raj Bhavan. There are about forty overground tombs (which would be about right after a few years of tropical diseases), but the walls are too high to climb and the large gate is well padlocked so I couldn't get to see any inscriptions/dates.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Regards
Old Sep 21st 2007, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babu1
Hi All,

Apologies, I thought I'd bring this very interesting thread back to the top. It's been slipping into obscurity.

Interesting article to follow, if a little unfactual and all over the place, but have a read:

http://mangalorean.com/news.php?news...adcastid=53498

"Sorrowing Lies My Land" is a very famous novel by journalist Lambert Mascarenhas, first published in 1955, but last available in hardback at The Other India Bookstore, Mapusa, or Hotel Mandovi Bookshop, Panjim, amongst other outlets.

It recounts the growing repression of the Portugese colonials, particularly under the authority of Salazar prior to revolution??/ liberation?? / invasion??, and is a manifesto for self rule in the hope of better things to come.

Goan academics are still at loggerheads as to these various "historical truths" to this day. In many ways the continuing debate, the debacle over the withdrawl of the controversial historical DVD two years ago (you can see large extracts of it on youtube) , do little more than divert attention from the true realities of Goan society as they stand today.

Incidentally, it is my contention that the British held a very brief and never mentioned period of rule in Goa during the Napoleonic Wars when Portugal had become our enemy as part of Bonaparte's Empire. Certainly, there is a well maintained English Cemetary on the left, down a hill at the entrancre to Raj Bhavan. There are about forty overground tombs (which would be about right after a few years of tropical diseases), but the walls are too high to climb and the large gate is well padlocked so I couldn't get to see any inscriptions/dates.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Regards
Napoleon Bonaparte actually had a bed made for Josephine in Goa, because of the fine craftsmanship during that era that was available. I think the bed is in the Sintra Palace in Lisbon and is called the 'Goa Bed'. As for Britain's link to Goa, dont forget that the oldest military and civil service alliance in the world is between Portugal and Britain. Goa, was also a 'province of Portugal' and not a colony and therfore part of that alliance especially in Naval matters and exchange of civil servants throughout the world. Even in 1974, following the Portuguese Revolution, military personnel assisted each other in the evacuation and settlement of the Portuguese African Territories.

As for "Sorrowing Lies My Land": which Goan (even a state of mind goan)would not be alarmed at the turn of events in recent decades?. Lambert Mascarenhas bemoaned colonial rule in 1955 but as Mahatma Gandhi himself thought, 'liberation' would be merely substituting one domination for another.

The article you quote touches on many of the reflections on BE. What it does not come out and say implicitly is that intermittent electric power, paved but dangerous roads, unhygenic shanty colonies, language and civil domination, flourishing corruption are beginning to highlight the course Goa is headed towards which is also a glaring contrast to what it was and what it could have been. No honest spectator can dispute this, and those that do have proved to be politically and financially motivated.

The FN property problem is a case in point. Goans are by force of nature (or history at the very least) an international, outward looking, globally minded people. Having FNs owning property in Goa is no contradiction to the Goan character. Again, the article you quote implies that: "a new generation is demanding that the wrong done many years back be rectified". However, the NEW GENERATION populating Goa are from outside States. Their numbers are huge, and their voting power enormous. They see, and want to seize this opportunity to enrich themselves beyond their wildest dreams.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Napoleon Bonaparte actually had a bed made for Josephine in Goa, because of the fine craftsmanship during that era that was available. I think the bed is in the Sintra Palace in Lisbon and is called the 'Goa Bed'. As for Britain's link to Goa, dont forget that the oldest military and civil service alliance in the world is between Portugal and Britain. Goa, was also a 'province of Portugal' and not a colony and therfore part of that alliance especially in Naval matters and exchange of civil servants throughout the world. Even in 1974, following the Portuguese Revolution, military personnel assisted each other in the evacuation and settlement of the Portuguese African Territories.

As for "Sorrowing Lies My Land": which Goan (even a state of mind goan)would not be alarmed at the turn of events in recent decades?. Lambert Mascarenhas bemoaned colonial rule in 1955 but as Mahatma Gandhi himself thought, 'liberation' would be merely substituting one domination for another.

The article you quote touches on many of the reflections on BE. What it does not come out and say implicitly is that intermittent electric power, paved but dangerous roads, unhygenic shanty colonies, language and civil domination, flourishing corruption are beginning to highlight the course Goa is headed towards which is also a glaring contrast to what it was and what it could have been. No honest spectator can dispute this, and those that do have proved to be politically and financially motivated.

The FN property problem is a case in point. Goans are by force of nature (or history at the very least) an international, outward looking, globally minded people. Having FNs owning property in Goa is no contradiction to the Goan character. Again, the article you quote implies that: "a new generation is demanding that the wrong done many years back be rectified". However, the NEW GENERATION populating Goa are from outside States. Their numbers are huge, and their voting power enormous. They see, and want to seize this opportunity to enrich themselves beyond their wildest dreams.
Hi Wheatsheaf,

Thanks for the very informative response, although it still begs the question whether the British had control of the garrisons, or blockaded the sea routes during this period. I will have a further look at the British Cemetary. For example, who maintains it?

Post "liberation", with the full view of hindsight and the reprehensibly selfish motivations of the majority of the body politic, I would suggest that independant self reliance might have been a better outcome.

The influx of such a massive out of State population seems an inevitability, in part accelerated by the Konkan Railway and the pernicious influence of television where for the first time masses of the Indian population were able to look beyond the confines of their own towns, villages and cities.(Though you cannot blame people for the basic instinct to better their potential in life).

One only has to take a brief look at the demographics to see how dramatic the changes have been regards religious belief and language.

Regards the voting power of this "new generation", their power has been offered to them on a plate as politicians of all persuasions seek to tap into a new and hugely influential vote bank. That they have been allowed the vote, indeed actively courted in areas of Panjim and Margao to stake a right to vote, amazes me even though I understand the underlying corrupt reasons for such action.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not the case in other States of India that voting rights in State elections are generally only conferred on persons provably indigenous to that State?

There is some interesting footage on www.youtube.com of out of State families living in shanty towns being offered 50R/- to buy their vote. How else could such a fraudster as Victoria "Mummy" Fernandes still be championed as "a woman of the people" in Santa Cruz; she does little or nothing for her constituents, jumps party entirely out of self interest, resigns if she doesn't get Ministerial Office, fakes a futile "fast to death", then asks to withdraw her resignation when the party swap didn't go her way and the "Kamat coup" failed!!

Sadly, her behaviour acts as a fairly reliable template for the motivations of the majority of Goan politicians, which is to hold fiercely onto power as a licence to line your own pockets at whatever cost and by whatever means (and that includes using FN's owning property as a scapegoat).
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babu1
Hi Wheatsheaf,

Thanks for the very informative response, although it still begs the question whether the British had control of the garrisons, or blockaded the sea routes during this period. I will have a further look at the British Cemetary. For example, who maintains it?

Post "liberation", with the full view of hindsight and the reprehensibly selfish motivations of the majority of the body politic, I would suggest that independant self reliance might have been a better outcome.

The influx of such a massive out of State population seems an inevitability, in part accelerated by the Konkan Railway and the pernicious influence of television where for the first time masses of the Indian population were able to look beyond the confines of their own towns, villages and cities.(Though you cannot blame people for the basic instinct to better their potential in life).

One only has to take a brief look at the demographics to see how dramatic the changes have been regards religious belief and language.

Regards the voting power of this "new generation", their power has been offered to them on a plate as politicians of all persuasions seek to tap into a new and hugely influential vote bank. That they have been allowed the vote, indeed actively courted in areas of Panjim and Margao to stake a right to vote, amazes me even though I understand the underlying corrupt reasons for such action.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it not the case in other States of India that voting rights in State elections are generally only conferred on persons provably indigenous to that State?

There is some interesting footage on www.youtube.com of out of State families living in shanty towns being offered 50R/- to buy their vote. How else could such a fraudster as Victoria "Mummy" Fernandes still be championed as "a woman of the people" in Santa Cruz; she does little or nothing for her constituents, jumps party entirely out of self interest, resigns if she doesn't get Ministerial Office, fakes a futile "fast to death", then asks to withdraw her resignation when the party swap didn't go her way and the "Kamat coup" failed!!

Sadly, her behaviour acts as a fairly reliable template for the motivations of the majority of Goan politicians, which is to hold fiercely onto power as a licence to line your own pockets at whatever cost and by whatever means (and that includes using FN's owning property as a scapegoat).

Will the presence of FNs in Goa on a permanent basis alter this downward spiral. Hopefully yes, because at the moment there are no consequences for the way things are going. It is obvious that Goans do not count in their own homeland anymore at any political or economic or social level. FNs are a different story.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Santan will become famous soon enoughSantan will become famous soon enough
Question Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Has anybody read the article link from the Goan voice "Sorrowing my lies" by Armastrong Vaz 20 Sept, he talks about the "government truce" on FNs
Have I missed something,drank to much or can't read (or all 3)
Santan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.