GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Apr 7th 2013, 1:34 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by Return of Santan
Hi All,

Yes I have returned after a 2 year abscence ( missing in battle ?) some of you know the reasons why , but I just wanted to say a big well done and thank you to those involved in the sterling work that has been going on behind the scenes with the various meetings, discussions etc. whilst I have been "away"

I tried to sign in using my old details but can't seem to get signed in ? Any admin help please ?

Cheers Santan
Have sent a pm to Admin for you - awaiting reply.
Welcome back.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:19 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Then welcome back from the dark side Santan

Dread - x
Old Apr 7th 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Cheers Both Hope you are both having good days

S
Old Apr 7th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

ruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really niceruskin is just really nice

Originally Posted by noni
Because many Advocates advised people wrongly, or underhandedly - not everybody has your knowledge and a good Advocate like I had. We bought before the retrospective rules came in. In my view it was up to the Advocates to see you met FEMA etc. that is what we paid them for.
Yes some are winning cases - BUT people are paying yet again for a job which they should have done in the first place.

As my Advocate says in the UK - QUOTE The Law Society is the same across the world."
Yes, totally agree with you noni. I know some lawyers are good and have really tried to help. On the other hand there are lawyers who have behaved unethically and probably illegally and have caused their clients many problems. Certainly there has been some very poor practice in Goa.

I do hope that now things will be resolved and that all the hard work will pay off.

r
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:56 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Return of Santan
Cheers Both Hope you are both having good days

S
Let me know when you've reset your password and I can merge your accounts for you.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:07 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruskin
Yes, totally agree with you noni. I know some lawyers are good and have really tried to help. On the other hand there are lawyers who have behaved unethically and probably illegally and have caused their clients many problems. Certainly there has been some very poor practice in Goa.

I do hope that now things will be resolved and that all the hard work will pay off.

r

It is certainly the best support since this whole debacle began so I for one will be very disappointed if matters are not sorted out to bring a satisfactory end for all

Dread - x
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:28 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

gochalkie

Just Joined

Hi Everyone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just come across your site and have read some of the threads regarding the situation with Foreign Property owners and it is good to hear that something is being done to help the owners who have bought in Goa, myself and husband are one of them. We lived in Goa from 2001 until 2007 on a five year visa and 2 x 1 year visa's, we stayed all year and only went home for a month during the monsoon to visit family, we lived in a small fishing community and get on very well with all our Goan neighbours. We had pets and loved our life out there. in 2007 my husbands mother died and we had to come back to the UK to sort out her estate etc, with all the goings on with the government saying they were going to confiscate houses of foreigners and the threat about the visa's which eventually came to fruition that caused us to rethink what we were doing, we didnt feel welcome any more and not to say the least very uneasy about the house.
Although we did our 6 months in the previous tax year before we bought our property and all of the money we took over there has been through our bank here UK to the SBI over there, but we heard so many stories and problems that people were having that we went to the RBI in Panjim to ask about how we stood and they were gave us the reply that if you have a 5 year visa it is not classed as permanant and you cant buy on that ! which is not what we had been told by our Advocate, and how we and he understood the Fema rules. we had also seen a letter that one of our friends had been sent from the RBI saying that they didnt need their permission because they were living there permanantly and sent their application back to them?
We have the deeds registered in our name and paid the fees at the Registrar office, they didnt tell us that we were not allowed to buy, and as we all know you have to jump through lots of hoops to get that far but we wanted to do everything right.
In the end we had to decide wether we could live under the threat of having our only home taken from us and decided to come back to UK and now only use the house as a holiday home.

We enjoy being out there when we go for our months trip to maintain and visit old friends, but find that the place has changed so much over the last few years, obviously things have gone up but it is still cheap to live compared to UK.
I hope for all the folks that have simular situations that our government helps to sort out the mess that it has become and that we can all either spend as long as we want out there or sell the properties and get our money out.
I think that a lot of people will be happy to get their money out and get on with their lives.

It would be much appreciated if we could have some up to date information about what is actually happening.

Regards

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

msj5

Submit two more posts .....join in with anything.....jokes ...good restaurants and Dreadsoc will be able to send you a Private message about whats happening with the property issue.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:31 pm

Welcome to BE - I have transferred your post to Buyer Beward, as we keep this thread for property issue.

As Msj5 says, once you have made another two posts Dread will be able to pm you and let you have an upto date report on the situation.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

gochalkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies and leading me to the right section, I will post on a couple of the other threads
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:07 am
Just Joined

federicoPa is an unknown quantity at this point

More troubles are coming ?

From India Today:

"Assembly unanimous on special status for Goa"

.......unanimously approved a resolution urging the Central government for a "special status to Goa under Article 371 of the Constitution of India or any other provision for regulating ownership and transfer of land and conservation of land".........

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19572105.cms

Federico
Old Apr 16th 2013, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by federicoPa

From India Today:

.......unanimously approved a resolution urging the Central government for a "special status to Goa under Article 371 of the Constitution of India or any other provision for regulating ownership and transfer of land and conservation of land".........

Federico

Actually if Monohar PARRIKAR gets special status for regulating transfer of land, this could be of benefit for the Brits owning property here in Goa.
We have seen from recent press reports that the CM has made clear he has no objection to Brits owning a small home in Goa and is keen to try and find a win win resolution for those who bought property and can show that they tried to do so lawfully.
As things currently stand, Goa is subject to the same laws regarding land etc as the rest of India and for him to resolve the issue for British property owners, he has to influence and get some agreements via Delhi. If he obtains 'special status' for Goa concerning land and property transfer, he may be able to deal with the matters directly himself.
As he is sympathetic to the issues faced by British (and foreign) property owners in Goa, this could be a very favourable occurence indeed.

Dread - x

Last edited by dreadsoc; Apr 16th 2013 at 4:49 am.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:05 am
Just Joined

federicoPa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Actually if Monohar PARRIKAR gets special status for regulating transfer of land, this could be of benefit for the Brits owning property here in Goa.
We have seen from recent press reports that the CM has made clear he has no objection to Brits owning a small home in Goa and is keen to try and find a win win resolution for those who bought property and can show that they tried to do so lawfully.
As things currently stand, Goa is subject to the same laws regarding land etc as the rest of India and for him to resolve the issue for British property owners, he has to influence and get some agreements via Delhi. If he obtains 'special status' for Goa concerning land and property transfer, he may be able to deal with the matters directly himself.
As he is sympathetic to the issues faced by British (and foreign) property owners in Goa, this could be a very favourable occurence indeed.

Dread - x

Hope he is really sympathetic to our issues, I do not trust so much what politicians say......

Bye

Federico
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:00 am

Hope he is really sympathetic to our issues, I do not trust so much what politicians say......

Bye

Federico

He has gone public with his sympathies, so we can but hope, but some issues can only be addressed at Central Govt level

Dread - x
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

From India Today:

Federico
The article says:
In July 2009, MP Shantaram Naik had moved a similar resolution in the Rajya Sabha. Parrikar said there was no progress made...
That is because it requires a two-thirds majority of both houses of the Indian Parliament to amend the Constitution, something that is not at all easy to achieve in India.

AndyD 8-)
Old Apr 16th 2013, 10:07 am

something that is not at all easy to achieve in India.

Andy, the only thing that is easy to achieve in India is to pass our hard earned money over to them - the rest you right for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.