GOA - Buyer Beware!

Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

excelsior is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GOA - Buyer Beware!

Originally Posted by Sam K
The article reads:
PANAJI: Law appears to be slowly catching up with the foreigners many of whom formed ‘dubious’ companies in the state to hoodwink the law and purchased vast stretches of land in violation of the Foreign Exchange Maintenance Act.

Mistakes can be made but it's rampant in this country, everything is so sloppy.
The DOE doesn't seem to have any educated clerks writing the show cause notices too. Their command of English is so poor that it is appalling. Now you mean to tell me that these ignoramuses actually understand their f.....g FEMA ?:curse: No wonder everybody interprets it as they wish.

Last edited by excelsior; Jan 6th 2010 at 8:29 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:11 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Why, if it is illegal for foreiners to purchase property, did the Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission in Panjim and the National Consumer Court in Delhi order a developer to hand over posseBsion (with occupancy certificate), to a Uk National who had paid full amount? The developer had sold to them stating there was no problem but when property values began to rise rapidly became greedy and tried to reclaim the villa stating that foreigners could not buy. Both courts rejected this appeal and ordered that the keys were given there and then in court. The sale agreement was made before Goa's change of 'law' regarding foreigners and would have been in a position to LEGALLY register the property. Now they cannot even after a 3 year successful, albeit stressful, court battle.

Reposted this on here, as I thought some of you may want to comment. Very interesting question.
Welcome jhh911 to BE.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

wallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nice

Noni,
This is similar to my position, but the current advocate tells me that I`ll have a problem registering, if I win my case, which started in 2001.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:53 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallydug
Noni,
This is similar to my position, but the current advocate tells me that I`ll have a problem registering, if I win my case, which started in 2001.
Hi Wallydug - welcome to BE. Please will you and jhh1 fill in the Save Goa Poll, and send Lewis your story, it is in complete confidence, but all the stories are being collated, and people are working hard behind the scenes.
Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Goacrazy56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noni
Hi Wallydug - welcome to BE. Please will you and jhh1 fill in the Save Goa Poll, and send Lewis your story, it is in complete confidence, but all the stories are being collated, and people are working hard behind the scenes.
Thanks
Hi and welcome both,
Please complete the Poll and send your story by PM to Lewis the more stoies and votes on the Poll we get the more weight our cases carry.You will both need to make three posts before you can use the PM.If you need help just shout,there are plenty on here that will come to your rescue
Please continue to Post on BE we can all benefit from our shared experiences
GC loving new members
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

gregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nicegregit is just really nice

Keeping this non inflamatory, I have just noticed this thread slipping from the page, barring the weight loss news and a couple of good restraunts, everything above it was negative. Almost three years this thread has run, I have sat and read most,many characters have left, some obviously still here and still fighting. My question would be what ground have you gained, the only one I can see British government is going to have quiet words with some minister, like I am sure they have quiet words with ministers in Spain (eu) when ex pats homes are bulldozed. I am also sure mums the word, 3 month visa was mentioned in 2007, now looks likely, with all it's inherent problems ie. 2 mnths. out of the country. Sorry to repeat myself, what ground has been gained ?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gregit
Keeping this non inflamatory, I have just noticed this thread slipping from the page, barring the weight loss news and a couple of good restraunts, everything above it was negative. Almost three years this thread has run, I have sat and read most,many characters have left, some obviously still here and still fighting. My question would be what ground have you gained, the only one I can see British government is going to have quiet words with some minister, like I am sure they have quiet words with ministers in Spain (eu) when ex pats homes are bulldozed. I am also sure mums the word, 3 month visa was mentioned in 2007, now looks likely, with all it's inherent problems ie. 2 mnths. out of the country. Sorry to repeat myself, what ground has been gained ?
Hi a bit more ground than when the thread was started.We are at the moment trying to get people to vote on the poll and send Lewis their stories.There is Quite a lot going on behind the scenes that cannot be put on the site.Can I suggest you vote and send Lewis your story by PM then ask him how he plans to use the information I'm sure he will explain.
It took a long time for people to come together and unit, I think this is now happening.
There was over 200 people at the meeting in Goa with Vicki Treadell the BHC.So things have moved on.Everything regarding India is slower than we would like but I assure you things are being done
GC
Old Feb 14th 2010, 2:44 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goacrazy56
Hi a bit more ground than when the thread was started.We are at the moment trying to get people to vote on the poll and send Lewis their stories.There is Quite a lot going on behind the scenes that cannot be put on the site.Can I suggest you vote and send Lewis your story by PM then ask him how he plans to use the information I'm sure he will explain.
It took a long time for people to come together and unit, I think this is now happening.
There was over 200 people at the meeting in Goa with Vicki Treadell the BHC.So things have moved on.Everything regarding India is slower than we would like but I assure you things are being done
GC

I second what GC says here.
Lewis is working hard behind the scenes, but the plan relies on stealth.
Things are happening, but all legal issues are not resulted overnight - not even in the UK !
Gregit - please vote on the poll and pm your story to Lewis. Every person who writes in with their case adds to the evidence already gathered, and every piece of evidence strengthens our case for justice in Goa. The larger the number of people, the more power we have. The only way forward is for everyone to join forces.
For all you other new members, please also send in your stories to Lewis. He is fighting for justice for all of us - that means you as well.

Dread - head on

x
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
I second what GC says here.
Lewis is working hard behind the scenes, but the plan relies on stealth.
Things are happening, but all legal issues are not resulted overnight - not even in the UK !
Gregit - please vote on the poll and pm your story to Lewis. Every person who writes in with their case adds to the evidence already gathered, and every piece of evidence strengthens our case for justice in Goa. The larger the number of people, the more power we have. The only way forward is for everyone to join forces.
For all you other new members, please also send in your stories to Lewis. He is fighting for justice for all of us - that means you as well.

Dread - head on

x
Gregit - what have you got to loose, we are not going to sit back and let the people take our properties away from us.

We will go down fighting
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Gregit - what have you got to loose, we are not going to sit back and let the people take our properties away from us.

We will go down fighting
Thats the spirit noni dread and everyone who as signed the poll together we stand devided we fall.
GC fighting on
Old Feb 18th 2010, 1:23 pm

oddjob1952 New Member

Re: Save Goa Poll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Belworth
Please make an effort to support our "Save Goa" campaign (from themselves) by telling us your story... All information will be strictly confidential!

Please send a private message for further information!

I have been reading the various posts ref the problems that people are having in Goa with visas and such.
What I want to know is: what am I missing?

It seems that people have been living in and buying flats and houses and such when only having a tourist visa please tell me which other country in the world will allow someone to stay for years together on a tourist visa and just going out and renewing and returning.
I think what has gone on in the past is you have slipped under the radar and now with the attacks in Mumbai in late 08 the Indians have seen what is going on and not so much changed the rules just enforced what is there with some changes. Which I might add the British do every now and again.

The British and the rest the world would not stand for it so why should the Indians. If you want to LIVE in India apply for a resident visa then you 100% puka.

I lived and worked in india for 7 years and loved the place, however it is THEIR country and they do not need Brits trying to save India from themselfs. The British left in 1947 when we return we are their guests not in charge anymore.

As many people I should think will be in a rage with this post, stop and think about what you are saying because I am sure the Indian's are reading this forum and will none to happy at what is said on here. Remember you are guests in THEIR country.

OJ

Last edited by noni; Feb 18th 2010 at 1:29 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:29 pm

goanstay Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob1952
I have been reading the various posts ref the problems that people are having in Goa with visas and such.
What I want to know is: what am I missing?

It seems that people have been living in and buying flats and houses and such when only having a tourist visa please tell me which other country in the world will allow someone to stay for years together on a tourist visa and just going out and renewing and returning.
I think what has gone on in the past is you have slipped under the radar and now with the attacks in Mumbai in late 08 the Indians have seen what is going on and not so much changed the rules just enforced what is there with some changes. Which I might add the British do every now and again.

The fact is that many people bought and 'Resided' here for many years and were given X (Entry) visas based on their wanting to reside here. They were advised by local Advocates (and the local developers) that this was legal, and based on that professional advice decided to invest their money in the country. People on T (Tourist) visas were also advised the same, and it was advised that after having bought the property they would be eligible for X visas of up to 5 yearsQuote:
The British and the rest the world would not stand for it so why should the Indians. If you want to LIVE in India apply for a resident visa then you 100% puka.

If they were able to apply for a Resident (or Settlement) Visa most people here would, and would be entirely happy to do so. But this type of visa is not available in India, although it is in many other countries, including the UK
Quote:
I lived and worked in india for 7 years and loved the place, however it is THEIR country and they do not need Brits trying to save India from themselfs. The British left in 1947 when we return we are their guests not in charge anymore.

As many people I should think will be in a rage with this post, stop and think about what you are saying because I am sure the Indian's are reading this forum and will none to happy at what is said on here. Remember you are guests in THEIR country.

OJ

I don't think anyone on here is saying that they are in charge. All that is being asked is for some consistency, and some basic moral values to apply. What other civilised (democratic) country would allow people to invest their life savings and then turn around a few years later and threaten to confiscate it?
goanstay

You can move this reply as well

goanstay

Quote:
Originally Posted by goanstay
The fact is that many people bought and 'Resided' here for many years and were given X (Entry) visas based on their wanting to reside here. They were advised by local Advocates (and the local developers) that this was legal, and based on that professional advice decided to invest their money in the country. People on T (Tourist) visas were also advised the same, and it was advised that after having bought the property they would be eligible for X visas of up to 5 years

If they were able to apply for a Resident (or Settlement) Visa most people here would, and would be entirely happy to do so. But this type of visa is not available in India, although it is in many other countries, including the UK

I don't think anyone on here is saying that they are in charge. All that is being asked is for some consistency, and some basic moral values to apply. What other civilised (democratic) country would allow people to invest their life savings and then turn around a few years later and threaten to confiscate it?

I think the major issue is in the past people were given poor, incorrect or lies by the developer and or his legal guy that is coming home to roost. some people may have been told no you can not own a flat on a tourist visa but do not worry no one will ever find out so go ahead so thejy went ahead and did the deal now it's turning to rat sh*t.

However the post 2 up states people would apply for residence visa if it was available as in other places, well it's not in India so you can not live in India it's thats simple.

The locals in Goa are up in arms just as the locals are in the west country Noth Wales etc when the out of towners turn up buy up the houses and price them out of the market, same thing.

But said and done I do feel sorry for peole who have been given a bum steer in the past and find themselfs in this situation, but to ones that have just tried to act smart and thought they would get away with it for ever tough you've been found out so suck it up and live with it.

OJ

PLEASE KEEP THIS SUBJECT HERE AND NOT MESS UP THE POLL THREAD. THANK YOU.

Last edited by noni; Feb 18th 2010 at 2:34 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:53 pm

Oddjob - please answer.

1) We picked our own Advocate not the builders, why were we not advised that we could not purchase in India. If you are from the UK you will know that our Solicitors would immediately have told us it was impossible. End of story and we would all have known where we stood.

2) When we presented our Deeds at the HCI, if they were illegal why did they give us 5 year x Visa?

3) Why did the Indian Government take Lacs from us in "stamp duty" when we registered our property if we were not allowed to purchase property in Goa?

4) Why is there continual harrassment by the D of E.

Like most of the people on this site, we love Goa, and that is why we spent our savings in purchasing - if we are not wanted, let us sell and leave, at least the people in North Wales could sell their holiday homes and leave if they felt unwanted.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

oddjob1952 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oddjob - please answer.

1) We picked our own Advocate not the builders, why were we not advised that we could not purchase in India. If you are from the UK you will know that our Solicitors would immediately have told us it was impossible. End of story and we would all have known where we stood.

2) When we presented our Deeds at the HCI, if they were illegal why did they give us 5 year x Visa?

3) Why did the Indian Government take Lacs from us in "stamp duty" when we registered our property if we were not allowed to purchase property in Goa?

4) Why is there continual harrassment by the D of E.

Like most of the people on this site, we love Goa, and that is why we spent our savings in purchasing - if we are not wanted, let us sell and leave, at least the people in North Wales could sell their holiday homes and leave if they felt unwanted.
1. who is to say your Advocate did not take a back hander from the builder to get sold.
2. As has been said in other posts who knows how they work the system the point is now that they see these visas being issued as a mistake which they are correcting.
3. They (Gov) see that stamp duty was being paid end of story for that department with some "not my job to check visa status of person paying"
4. Because you are in the country with the incorrect visa maybe.

As I said I lived and worked in India (Mumbai) for 7 years when working for a large States based company I know just how their mind works and they drove me mad some times with changing this and that just depending who you spoke to on the day.
I am not sure how things are today transfering money and such but how it was in the past if you brought money in when selling you could take that amount out but not the "Profit" on the sale.

As I said I know that not all people are trying to act "Smart" but some are and now they are caught up in this I say hard luck.

I also think that Goa maybe is suffering from its own success and there are now to many non Goa'ns (Indians from other states are having some issues as well) in the housing market and they are trying to please the local voter as all slime ball politictions do (UK included) when voting time comes. When are the state elections due anyway?

I should at this point make it known that I am married to an Indian for 20 years so the issues that you are all having does not effect me. However you all do yourselfs a disservice by slagging off the local Indians just because they are running their country/state they way they do. There are worst places in the world you could just wake up dead one day.

OJ

Last edited by oddjob1952; Feb 18th 2010 at 3:56 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

1. who is to say your Advocate did not take a back hander from the builder to get sold.
2. As has been said in other posts who knows how they work the system the point is now that they see these visas being issued as a mistake which they are correcting.
3. They (Gov) see that stamp duty was being paid end of story for that department with some "not my job to check visa status of person paying"
4. Because you are in the country with the incorrect visa maybe.

As I said I lived and worked in India (Mumbai) for 7 years when working for a large States based company I know just how their mind works and they drove me mad some times with changing this and that just depending who you spoke to on the day.
I am not sure how things are today transfering money and such but how it was in the past if you brought money in when selling you could take that amount out but not the "Profit" on the sale.

As I said I know that not all people are trying to act "Smart" but some are and now they are caught up in this I say hard luck.

I also think that Goa maybe is suffering from its own success and there are now to many non Goa'ns (Indians from other states are having some issues as well) in the housing market and they are trying to please the local voter as all slime ball politictions do when voting time comes. When are the state elections due anyway?
God save us from re hashing the causes at odd times which is making it more of a job to relax in Goa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.