Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Oct 26th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

majorda_buyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

[QUOTE=Bipat;10350774]
Originally Posted by noni
[/COLOR]

Perhaps those who throw the litter in your garden are the uneducated ones, like those spitting chewing gum everywhere. Personally I would ban chewing gum in this country.

Goan Government tackle a problem to do with tourism - you are having a laugh

"Plastics they buy in "Boots" do you mean condoms. [/QUOTE]

No, I hadn't thought of condoms! The rows of plastic containers on the holiday shelf; sun cream, hand cream, shampoo, packets of tissues ec. etc.
The average Indian woman would not buy so much. (They also use handkerchiefs or the end of a dupatta,!!)
"The average Indian woman would not buy so much. (They also use handkerchiefs or the end of a dupatta,!!)"

What century are you referring to? Who uses handkerchiefs or Dupatta's these days?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=majorda_buyer;10350807]
Originally Posted by Bipat
"The average Indian woman would not buy so much. (They also use handkerchiefs or the end of a dupatta,!!)"

What century are you referring to? Who uses handkerchiefs or Dupatta's these days?
Indian women living in India.
Are you really suggesting Indian women no longer wear a dupatta with their salwar kameez, that is ridiculous.
Yes kurta tops are worn more often and less saris but traditional clothes are still the most common.
Obviously Goan coastal area with a larger Christian community can be different.
I use handkerchiefs when in India. (Usually not the rest of clothing for nose wiping!!)
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:52 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a small town, the garbage is a disgrace when bins are available, but I see the same in all towns and cities. The villages of Norfolk my family home area are all clean (but still a few bottles on sand dunes in tourist areas).

I agree with all you have said about tourism and garbage systems.
The discussion above is about the idea that only Indian tourists create garbage.
No, Bipat I said 99% - and not all indian tourists, indian shack owners etc. please read it properly.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

No, Bipat I said 99% - and not all indian tourists, indian shack owners etc. please read it properly.
99% Indian tourists and not "only Indian tourists" not much difference.
My point was that tourism in general creates a massive waste disposal problem. This is not being managed properly (as you have rightly said) but the type of waste produced by foreign tourists is every bit as important as that produced by Indian tourists.

(Just read about problems in UK produced by flushing of 'wet wipes'. Do foreigners use these in India also? )
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

99% Indian tourists and not "only Indian tourists" not much difference.
My point was that tourism in general creates a massive waste disposal problem. This is not being managed properly (as you have rightly said) but the type of waste produced by foreign tourists is every bit as important as that produced by Indian tourists.

(Just read about problems in UK produced by flushing of 'wet wipes'. Do foreigners use these in India also? )
I use wet wipes for cleaning rubber stamps when I am making cards (I have never and would not put them down the toilet), so I just had a look at the packet to see what it says about disposal, there is a diagram of a toilet with the lid up and a cross across it but it is small and on the back of the pack so people might not see it and not realise they should not put them down the toilet. I have taken the handwipe ones to Goa in the past but always put them in a bin but now I only take the gel type hand cleanser, very useful when the toilet facilities are not up to scratch.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Andy our house septic tank will not take tissue. When it is essential (one amputee visitor) it is burnt. No household that we stay in in India uses toilet paper. But why behave as Indian people???
Then there is something wrong with your septic tank, I have septic tanks or cess pits in Goa and the UK and I have had them in Portugal, Iran and Saudi Arabia - all of them handled toilet tissue with no problem.
Why [not] behave as Indian people? because I am not Indian. Toilet mores are very personal and very ingrained and I see no reason to change mine at my age.
As for guests I have water hoses fitted in Goa for anyone who wants to use them, I don't believe in imposing my practices on guests, though I don't go as far as offering leaves or pine cones - not sure how an amputee would manage either method !

AndyD 8-)
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

....The discussion ... is about the idea that only Indian tourists create garbage.
what have tourists specifically to do with it? Go to the outskirts of any village in Goa and you will find swathes of roadside littered with the rubbish that locals have dumped - some campaign against this, some try to clear it up, but most dump it - because there is nothing else to do with it because politicians from panch to CM have been talking about it for 10 or 20 years and done NOTHING!

AndyD 8-)
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:24 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

99% rubbish left behind is "Indian Rubbish" I have only once seen a "whitie"
throw their fag packets, banana skins, and papers on the beach, and I embarrased them in front of all the other sunworshipers to pick up their rubbish and put in the shack bin.
Some Shack owners who throw rubbish in the bushes, ours burn their rubbish.
Indian Tourists are the worst culprits together with the local men on their picnics at the weekend, plastic, tins, broken bottles.

PJ - disgusting what you say about the airlines - they should be fined heavily.
Bipat I see 99% :baned::baned:

Andy - so pleased at your time of life that you are still "Toilet trained! not like the fruit lady on the beach in , Could not believe my eyes when she dug a hole, at the side of the shack, tooted down, when she had finished wiped her bootie with her hand dipped in the sand hm: she then merrily went on her way slicing her fruit and selling to visitors.

Last edited by noni; Oct 27th 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Then there is something wrong with your septic tank, I have septic tanks or cess pits in Goa and the UK and I have had them in Portugal, Iran and Saudi Arabia - all of them handled toilet tissue with no problem.
Why [not] behave as Indian people? because I am not Indian. Toilet mores are very personal and very ingrained and I see no reason to change mine at my age.
As for guests I have water hoses fitted in Goa for anyone who wants to use them, I don't believe in imposing my practices on guests, though I don't go as far as offering leaves or pine cones - not sure how an amputee would manage either method !

AndyD 8-)
Could it be that Karwar toilet paper is not bio-degradable, we were told not to ever flush it by the installer. (I am not going to risk being the one to cause the need for major cleaning etc.!!!!!)
But most of our our guests are Indian so no problem. Not heard of any of them using pine cones, possibly leaves in an emergency I will ask and let you know
Did you know the slang word for the water hose? Noni will love it! 'Muslim shower'. (Up instead of down, as in writing from right instead of left).
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:57 pm

Could it be that Karwar toilet paper is not bio-degradable, we were told not to ever flush it by the installer. (I am not going to risk being the one to cause the need for major cleaning etc.!!!!!)
But most of our our guests are Indian so no problem. Not heard of any of them using pine cones, possibly leaves in an emergency I will ask and let you know
Did you know the slang word for the water hose? Noni will love it! 'Muslim shower'. (Up instead of down, as in writing from right instead of left).
Sorry Bipat - but as you say "arse backwards" just dont understand people.
ok must be me.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:06 am

http://www.thegoan.net/index.php

Runway 0826, 0545 hrs: It is a few minutes to the crack of dawn and the radio crackles at Air Traffic Control INS Hansa. There is an early morning domestic flight lined up for landing somewhere over Ponda and there is a huge flock of pariah kites and crows on the eastern side of the runway. The alarm goes off as ATC’s crack Bird Hazard Control Unit swings into action. Pyrocartridges go off and zon guns scare the birds away as a Boeing 737 carrying 180 passengers gently touches down. The passengers are unaware that they were minutes away from disaster and BHCU is back in its station waiting for the next flight. Ensuring bird hazard safety at Dabolim is a thankless job, but integral to it.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

http://www.thegoan.net/index.php

Runway 0826, 0545 hrs: It is a few minutes to the crack of dawn and the radio crackles at Air Traffic Control INS Hansa. There is an early morning domestic flight lined up for landing somewhere over Ponda and there is a huge flock of pariah kites and crows on the eastern side of the runway. The alarm goes off as ATC’s crack Bird Hazard Control Unit swings into action. Pyrocartridges go off and zon guns scare the birds away as a Boeing 737 carrying 180 passengers gently touches down. The passengers are unaware that they were minutes away from disaster and BHCU is back in its station waiting for the next flight. Ensuring bird hazard safety at Dabolim is a thankless job, but integral to it.
Very interesting article, it all comes back to the rubbish being dumped everywhere. I doubt if tourists can actually be blamed for this as most just pass through on their way to beach resorts although I suppose some of it could be being dumped by the airlines. As a passenger I can only hope that rubbish created in flight is being dealt with responsibly. I have just booked our flights.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by k800mer
.... As a passenger I can only hope that rubbish created in flight is being dealt with responsibly. I have just booked our flights.
... and how do you think that might be achieved- given that there is no infrastructure for handling garbage in Goa? - none!

AndyD 8-)

Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by a_f_d
... and how do you think that might be achieved- given that there is no infrastructure for handling garbage in Goa? - none!

AndyD 8-)

The "rag pickers" actually do a great job of scavenging the road side garbage of good quality plastic ..shampoo bottles etc and its all sent to recycling plants in the slums of Bombay,melted down and reappears as the multi coloured buckets and bowls that you see for sale. Its the low grade unrecyclable garbage from the shacks thats thrown on the roadside thats the biggest problem.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

SteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to beholdSteveKingswear is a splendid one to behold

A lot in the papers of late about Jimmy Saville and none of it good. We now have the Catholic Church 'jumping on the bandwagon', it seems they are to remove his Papal Knighthood. Whilst I can understand why this action is being taken and quite rightly so, the hypocrisy of of it all is laughable. The Catholic Church have covered up child abuse on a world wide basis actively moving there 'employees' internationally rather than allow them to face enquiery and possible prosecution, but more importantly from the position of the church preventing them facing the possibility of being sued. They are all just rats on smelling a terrier, scurrying for the closest sewer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.