Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Chill out/time pass lounge!

Chill out/time pass lounge!

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chill out/time pass lounge!

Hi All
Must say very impressed with all the heavy literature, I read for entertainment, so it's Terry Pratchett, JKR, Cornwell etc for me.
Must say parts of Terry Pratchett's Disc world are a bit like Goa, amusingly dysfunctional.
Regards
Tony P
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:39 pm
KKK
Forum Regular

KKK will become famous soon enoughKKK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by noni
Hi KKK
Give up on God and Small Things - Just found "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth in the Library. only 1473 pages in small print - is it any good?
carrying it up the hill was enough.
Regards Noni
Hi Noni

I haven't read that one but I have heard some good things about it...

regards

KKK

p.s. 1473 pages ...Hmmmm how about reading it cover-to-cover in one sitting (that is read the front cover skip the 1473 pages and read the back cover)
Sorry - as an afterthought I wouldn't like to claim that one as one of mine

Last edited by KKK; Aug 3rd 2007 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Mrs.D is on a distinguished road

Hi KKK
Give up on God and Small Things - Just found "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth in the Library. only 1473 pages in small print - is it any good?
carrying it up the hill was enough.
Regards Noni
Hi Noni

Yes, I enjoyed reading "A suitable boy". It took quite a while to get to the end, so you will probably have to keep renewing it at the library. Remember not to read it laying down, because if you fall asleep ..........it hurts when it falls on your face
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:44 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs.D
Hi Noni

Yes, I enjoyed reading "A suitable boy". It took quite a while to get to the end, so you will probably have to keep renewing it at the library. Remember not to read it laying down, because if you fall asleep ..........it hurts when it falls on your face
Hi Mrs. D. carrrying up the hill from the Village was enough. I could drop it on OH!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TDK
Ok All, here's some more light hearted fluff courtesy of Sanjeev Bhaskar- aka Mr.Kumar interviewed in the last Guardian Guide:

''The best monkey story i heard though was in Delhi where loads of monkeys stormed the parliament building. They got in, pulled faces at the foreign minister and chucked his papers about. The only way the Indian government could get rid of them was to emply some other Langur monkeys to chase them away. Its true.''

I remember reading about it when i was in India -Absolutely hilarious!
(although he ommited to say how much baksheesh they had to pay the 'heavies').

Btw - tonight on BBC2 the India & Pakistan 07 season continues with a new series, 'Daughter of the mountains - The story of the river Ganges, revealing its influence on the people living on its banks, as well as India's culture, religion and wildlife.' (from the Guardian guide)

Cheers, TDK
Hi TDK,

Great Story,
YES CANT WAIT TO CHILL OUT IN FRONT OF THE Ganges tonight.................by the way just noticed i typed half of this in capitals but cant be assed to change it..........so if it annoys anyone out there.....TOUGH.

rEGARDS,
Remy
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Chill out/time pass lounge!

Originally Posted by Douglas M
Hi TDK,

When the monkeys were asked to leave did they waggle their heads in response and more importantly, how did the monkeys that were commissioned to ask the other monkeys to leave interpret that head waggle (if any)?

These are derivatives of the fundamental questions i am beginning to ask myself about the meaning of life, what does god look like if you are an indian and why were purple tiles invented in the first place?

regards
douglas
Hi Douglas, these questions you've asked are extremely profound and perplexing, which many philosophers over the ages have contemplated, so i shall have to meditate on them then come back to you, but i suspect that the answer to the meaning of life lies somewhere in the dusty archives of the ancient texts of Monty Python (but as it is a highly esoteric text i can't disclose it here).
Also i think that at last count there were some where in the region of 330 Mil Gods/facets of the Divine in Hinduism, so i guess s/he can look however you like I actually really like the Balinese Hindu depiction of their supreme formless God - 'Ida Sang Hyiang Widi, represented at their temples by an empty throne (seems alot more convenient to me as no time consuming carving/sculpting involved except for the throne but thats quite easy to make)!
Actually i do really love the way way there are so many Hindu Gods in India especially Ganesha and Durga and Hanuman-ji, except the only trouble is that they are all still caught in samsara themselves! Anyway sorry to go all serious again, and i'll try to restrain any further ramblings for now
Sorry, i think i've just figured out the A your profound Q:

'why were purple tiles invented in the 1st place?'
which i think is actually a Koan with no logical answer (which makes perfect sense due to the logic defecit in India)!

regards - TDK
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:08 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi TDK,

Great Story,
YES CANT WAIT TO CHILL OUT IN FRONT OF THE Ganges tonight.................by the way just noticed i typed half of this in capitals but cant be assed to change it..........so if it annoys anyone out there.....TOUGH.

rEGARDS,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Didn't they teach you internet etiquette at your school
(capitals = SHOUTING)!
iTS ALRIGHT I'M JUST JESTING
& i'm also looking forward to dipping my feet into the Ganges later.

Bye 4 now, TDK
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi Remy,

Didn't they teach you internet etiquette at your school
(capitals = SHOUTING)!
iTS ALRIGHT I'M JUST JESTING
& i'm also looking forward to dipping my feet into the Ganges later.

Bye 4 now, TDK

Hi TDK,

When i was at school there was no such thing as the INTERNET
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:18 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

Hi TDK,

When i was at school there was no such thing as the INTERNET
Sounds like my school - i had to wait till i was on the dole to get a free course
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TDK
Sounds like my school - i had to wait till i was on the dole to get a free course

When i done computers at school .......it was binary code and all that s***. I was born in 1968...........a product of the flower power people,me thinks..............maybe thats why i like Goa so much.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:41 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi Douglas, these questions you've asked are extremely profound and perplexing, which many philosophers over the ages have contemplated, so i shall have to meditate on them then come back to you, but i suspect that the answer to the meaning of life lies somewhere in the dusty archives of the ancient texts of Monty Python (but as it is a highly esoteric text i can't disclose it here).
Also i think that at last count there were some where in the region of 330 Mil Gods/facets of the Divine in Hinduism, so i guess s/he can look however you like I actually really like the Balinese Hindu depiction of their supreme formless God - 'Ida Sang Hyiang Widi, represented at their temples by an empty throne (seems alot more convenient to me as no time consuming carving/sculpting involved except for the throne but thats quite easy to make)!
Actually i do really love the way way there are so many Hindu Gods in India especially Ganesha and Durga and Hanuman-ji, except the only trouble is that they are all still caught in samsara themselves! Anyway sorry to go all serious again, and i'll try to restrain any further ramblings for now
Sorry, i think i've just figured out the A your profound Q:

'why were purple tiles invented in the 1st place?'
which i think is actually a Koan with no logical answer (which makes perfect sense due to the logic defecit in India)!

regards - TDK
Hi TDK
I think this is toooooooooooooooooooo deeppppppppppp for Remy and me on a Friday night. I have learnt something now about capitals on the internet - you see you learn something every day.
When I first worked in the Bank we had dip in pens!!!! Literally pens and inkwells and I had to fill the ink in the mornings, before taking dictation from the Bank Manager.
Regards
Noni
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi TDK
I think this is toooooooooooooooooooo deeppppppppppp for Remy and me on a Friday night. I have learnt something now about capitals on the internet - you see you learn something every day.
When I first worked in the Bank we had dip in pens!!!!
Regards
Noni
Hi Noni,

Met up with my mate today at the cellar bar..........hadnt had a drink with him in about 3 months...........needless to say im a bit brams and list..........but as we say in Ireland, 'the craic was good.'

Regards,
Remy
Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi TDK
When I first worked in the Bank we had dip in pens!!!! Literally pens and inkwells and I had to fill the ink in the mornings, before taking dictation from the Bank Manager.
Regards
Noni

Hi All,

As part of the ongoing India/Pakistan 07 Season, the following programs are on BBC 2 tonight, Monday 6th August.

8:30pm - India food made easy.

9:00pm - India with Sanjeev Bhasker.

10:00pm - Calcutta Uncovered.

Happy Viewing,
Regards,
Remy
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:00 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

Hi All,

As part of the ongoing India/Pakistan 07 Season, the following programs are on BBC 2 tonight, Monday 6th August.

8:30pm - India food made easy.

9:00pm - India with Sanjeev Bhasker.

10:00pm - Calcutta Uncovered.

Happy Viewing,
Regards,
Remy
Thanks Remy/All, and definately plan to watch Sanjeev at 9 tonight (what a diamond geyzer)!
Am feeling a bit spaced out today as had a strange dream about ghosts last night then woke up at 3am to the sound of very eerie music! As usual my 'client' (whose room is right next to mine) had left his radio on and it must've been 'spookie hour' on radio 4 or something. Anyway as i have a very active imagination when it come to the supernatural, didn't get much sleep after that!

Anyway atleast i managed to finally sort out my air ticket today and i got a great deal (6 mth open jaw ticket on Jet Airways LH>Del>Goa>Mum>LH all for £423 through Travelbag). They even beat all the deals on travelsupermarket!
(incase anyone else needs a ticket check out): www.travelbag.co.uk

Ok Bye for now and have a good evening/night/morning All, TDK
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TDK
Thanks Remy/All, and definately plan to watch Sanjeev at 9 tonight (what a diamond geyzer)!
Am feeling a bit spaced out today as had a strange dream about ghosts last night then woke up at 3am to the sound of very eerie music! As usual my 'client' (whose room is right next to mine) had left his radio on and it must've been 'spookie hour' on radio 4 or something. Anyway as i have a very active imagination when it come to the supernatural, didn't get much sleep after that!

Anyway atleast i managed to finally sort out my air ticket today and i got a great deal (6 mth open jaw ticket on Jet Airways LH>Del>Goa>Mum>LH all for £423 through Travelbag). They even beat all the deals on travelsupermarket!
(incase anyone else needs a ticket check out): www.travelbag.co.uk

Ok Bye for now and have a good evening/night/morning All, TDK
Hi TDK,

Wow that sounds like a fabulous deal indeed.
Will you be in Goa around Dec for the Ex-pats knees up.

Kind Regards,
Remy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.