Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Chill out/time pass lounge!

Wikiposts

Chill out/time pass lounge!

Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: Chill out/time pass lounge!

Originally Posted by TDK
Wow! seriously? (As a born again hippy it might bring back flashbacks to my previous life) - although not sure it'll live up to The Rainbow Bridge free Concert in Hawaii- summer of 1970! Still Santana is worth turning up for
Cheers for that- TDK
Hi TDK,

I feel guilty about not posting the link so here it is,

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/B...ow/2244337.cms

hopefully it works.......i hate typing these links.

Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all
Default Re: What were they thinking!

Originally Posted by noni
Hi,
Something you might be interested in
9.00 BBC2 Monday 30th July,
Sanjeev Bhaskar - New series, The presenter offers a personal look at modern India. India and Pakistan O7
and before is Indian Food made Easy.
Hi All,

Further info on the India Pakistan 07 season can be found here........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/indiapakistan/about.shtml

Some good stuff coming up,

Regards,
Remy
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:07 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Chill out/time pass lounge!

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
Hi TDK,

I feel guilty about not posting the link so here it is,

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/B...ow/2244337.cms

hopefully it works.......i hate typing these links.

Regards,
Remy
Thanks for the link Remy, i appreciate that and i just read the article which says that (in addition to Santana) 7 of the orriginal NY Woodstock bands are also likely to participate so should be very interesting!

Cheers - TDK
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:53 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TDK
Thanks for the link Remy, i appreciate that and i just read the article which says that (in addition to Santana) 7 of the orriginal NY Woodstock bands are also likely to participate so should be very interesting!

Cheers - TDK
Hi TDK
We can have another party at Woodstock.

Two books for you to read with Indian background.
The God of small Things - Arundhati Roy
City of Djinns (A year in Delhi) William Dalrymple

Regards Noni
Old Aug 1st 2007, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi TDK

Regards Noni
Hi All,

Just when your on the subject of books,
im reading In Spite of the Gods - The Strange Rise of Modern India by Edward Luce.

It is essential reading, very thought provoking and as one critic put it ' Without question the best book yet written on the New India'

Regards,
Remy
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:03 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Just when your on the subject of books,
im reading In Spite of the Gods - The Strange Rise of Modern India by Edward Luce.

It is essential reading, very thought provoking and as one critic put it ' Without question the best book yet written on the New India'

Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy,

Just thought to lighten things up a bit!
Noni
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Remy,

Just thought to lighten things up a bit!
Noni
Hi Noni,

Yes we really need to lighten things up now and again........... afterall, theres only so much Noff one can drink in a week.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:49 am

Hi Noni,

Yes we really need to lighten things up now and again........... afterall, theres only so much Noff one can drink in a week.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Hi Remy,
Turned into a wino now. Have you finished your IR books yet?
Kind regards,
NONI
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Remy,
Turned into a wino now. Have you finished your IR books yet?
Kind regards,
NONI
Oh Noni,
I have them almost finished and i am leaving them with accountant on Monday night.......late as usual........i just was not organised at all as i have had a very turbulant year for more reasons than i care to mention.

Really cant wait to get to Goa in early December...........really really need the break........as does Janis, Ryan and Rachel.
I think we will just about make it to then........probably be on our hands and knees crawling onto the plane though.

Kind Regards,
Remy
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:38 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Chill out/time pass lounge!

Hi TDK

Regards Noni
Hi Noni & Remy, thanks for the book recommendations and funnily enough they are all on my back burner of 'books to read' so when time allows i'll try and get hold of em (in India as cheaper).

Thank again and incase anyones interested in Tibet/spititual/shangrila travelogue type books, at the moment i'm reading 'Last seen in Lhasa' by Claire Scobie (the award winning journalist) which is a Real treat-highly recommended.

Regards TDK
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 2:40 am
KKK
Forum Regular

KKK will become famous soon enoughKKK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TDK
Hi Noni & Remy, thanks for the book recommendations and funnily enough they are all on my back burner of 'books to read' so when time allows i'll try and get hold of em (in India as cheaper).

Thank again and incase anyones interested in Tibet/spititual/shangrila travelogue type books, at the moment i'm reading 'Last seen in Lhasa' by Claire Scobie (the award winning journalist) which is a Real treat-highly recommended.

Regards TDK
Hi Noni

I wouldn't recommend "God of Small things" as a reading for "knowing" anything about India, its a very stylyzed version of what Arundhati Roy (extreme left views) thinks as her "reality" of Kerela

regards

KKK
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by KKK
Hi Noni

I wouldn't recommend "God of Small things" as a reading for "knowing" anything about India, its a very stylyzed version of what Arundhati Roy (extreme left views) thinks as her "reality" of Kerela

regards

KKK
Hi KKK
Am reading that one now! finding it hard going. Must be in fluffy mod again!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 11:29 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Chill out/time pass lounge!

Hi KKK
Am reading that one now! finding it hard going. Must be in fluffy mod again!
Ok All, here's some more light hearted fluff courtesy of Sanjeev Bhaskar- aka Mr.Kumar interviewed in the last Guardian Guide:

''The best monkey story i heard though was in Delhi where loads of monkeys stormed the parliament building. They got in, pulled faces at the foreign minister and chucked his papers about. The only way the Indian government could get rid of them was to emply some other Langur monkeys to chase them away. Its true.''

I remember reading about it when i was in India -Absolutely hilarious!
(although he ommited to say how much baksheesh they had to pay the 'heavies').

Btw - tonight on BBC2 the India & Pakistan 07 season continues with a new series, 'Daughter of the mountains - The story of the river Ganges, revealing its influence on the people living on its banks, as well as India's culture, religion and wildlife.' (from the Guardian guide)

Cheers, TDK
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TDK
Ok All, here's some more light hearted fluff courtesy of Sanjeev Bhaskar- aka Mr.Kumar interviewed in the last Guardian Guide:

''The best monkey story i heard though was in Delhi where loads of monkeys stormed the parliament building. They got in, pulled faces at the foreign minister and chucked his papers about. The only way the Indian government could get rid of them was to emply some other Langur monkeys to chase them away. Its true.''

I remember reading about it when i was in India -Absolutely hilarious!
(although he ommited to say how much baksheesh they had to pay the 'heavies').

Btw - tonight on BBC2 the India & Pakistan 07 season continues with a new series, 'Daughter of the mountains - The story of the river Ganges, revealing its influence on the people living on its banks, as well as India's culture, religion and wildlife.' (from the Guardian guide)

Cheers, TDK
Hi TDK,

When the monkeys were asked to leave did they waggle their heads in response and more importantly, how did the monkeys that were commissioned to ask the other monkeys to leave interpret that head waggle (if any)?

These are derivatives of the fundamental questions i am beginning to ask myself about the meaning of life, what does god look like if you are an indian and why were purple tiles invented in the first place?

regards
douglas
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by KKK
Hi Noni

regards

KKK

Hi KKK
Give up on God and Small Things - Just found "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth in the Library. only 1473 pages in small print - is it any good?
carrying it up the hill was enough.
Regards Noni

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.