Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Dec 13th 2016, 3:24 am
Just Joined

raceytherunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi just starting to look at property /Land in France. Currently live in UK but planning ahead and looking at some day moving / retiring to France. just getting the ball rolling looking on property sites. Noticed how much cheaper France land /renovation projects more cost effective than the UK. and ideas send my way. looking at France overall for now but Brittany looks the best region to get a bargain. are builders good to come by in France i can do a lot myself but some structure work will have to be done by the expert's
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Morning Racey Runner.
Welcome to the forum. This thread is for saying Hello, but the rest of your post would get more responses in the main section of the forum.
I won't try and predict what those responses will be, but, it's maybe not quite such a walk in the park as it may look at first sight. Property and land cheaper than in the UK, yes. Building regs... artisan labour costs... materials... insurance... building regs (yes I know I said it twice, there's a reason for that)... well, you get the picture. It can be done and you can end up with a lovely house, but I'm not sure "bargain" is ever the word. Looked at from the purely financial point of view, probably in many cases it would have been cheaper to buy a new house, and you'd have far more chance of getting your money back when you sell. Anyway, over to the main thread and see what folks say

Last edited by EuroTrash; Dec 13th 2016 at 5:55 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Morning Racey Runner.
Welcome to the forum. This thread is for saying Hello, but the rest of your post would get more responses in the main section of the forum.
I won't try and predict what those responses will be, but, it's maybe not quite such a walk in the park as it may look at first sight. Property and land cheaper than in the UK, yes. Building regs... artisan labour costs... materials... insurance... building regs (yes I know I said it twice, there's a reason for that)... well, you get the picture. It can be done and you can end up with a lovely house, but I'm not sure "bargain" is ever the word. Looked at from the purely financial point of view, probably in many cases it would have been cheaper to buy a new house, and you'd have far more chance of getting your money back when you sell. Anyway, over to the main thread and see what folks say
+1
and welcome to the forum from me, too!
As suggested, post again in a New Thread in the main section below - your post here will get swallowed up by the following introductions.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

justjacques is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and Salut, Everyone:

I mis-posted this in the general forum. So, hopefully, I'm now posting in the proper place.

I'm actually from and currently live in the US, but my partner and I are seriously considering buying and living abroad.

I am attracted to the Belfort area and have found a couple of properties of interest there. However, since my partner speaks little French, I am hoping to find an English-speaking community. I speak French, although not fluently - I plan on taking Alliance Française classes to get up to speed once in France.

My brother has lived in the Drôme department (near Die) for 30 years. I've considered searching there for property, but am uncertain whether or not there is a substantial English-speaking expat community.

Thanks!
Jack
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justjacques
Hi and Salut, Everyone:

I mis-posted this in the general forum. So, hopefully, I'm now posting in the proper place.

I'm actually from and currently live in the US, but my partner and I are seriously considering buying and living abroad.

I am attracted to the Belfort area and have found a couple of properties of interest there. However, since my partner speaks little French, I am hoping to find an English-speaking community. I speak French, although not fluently - I plan on taking Alliance Française classes to get up to speed once in France.

My brother has lived in the Drôme department (near Die) for 30 years. I've considered searching there for property, but am uncertain whether or not there is a substantial English-speaking expat community.

Thanks!
Jack
Hello Jack
Welcome to the forum.
This is just an introduction thread and you need to re-post this in a new thread in the main France forum below otherwise it may not be read by everyone.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

justjacques is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hello Jack
Welcome to the forum.
This is just an introduction thread and you need to re-post this in a new thread in the main France forum below otherwise it may not be read by everyone.
Thanks, Cyrian - I suspected as much!
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 3:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Salut, Everyone:

Thanks!
Jack
Hi, and welcome to the forum. As Cyrian suggests, post again in a New Thread below, where more members will see your thread.
Meanwhile, if you and your partner aren't legally bound, then consult the Notaire who'll conduct the sale, as to the best way of protecting your respective interests.
I can't advise on the area, but must admit that Clairette de Die is divine!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Jayzdn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there everyone! I hope y'all good I'm 18 and I live in Avignon in France, although my dad and I are Americans. We've been living here for six years now Didn't have a chance yet to find another English speaker to hang out with. So if anyone is interested, I hope to hear from you soon.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Jayzdn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and Salut, Everyone:

Thanks!
Jack
Hey Jack! I could definitely give you some advice about living in France, also I could help make some improvements in French. We could talk about it by email.
Jay.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

PlanetFrance is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, new to this forum. Looks pretty good, Ive been looking for a forum but all the ones Ive seen have been pretty quiet. Hoping to share some of my knowledge in exchange for help on other issues, there are always new questions cropping up however long you've been living here i imagine. Anyway, I've been in France for about 10 years so I'll look out for questions on subjects I have experience in. Hope to chat soon
Old Feb 5th 2017, 4:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PlanetFrance
Hello everyone, new to this forum. Looks pretty good, Ive been looking for a forum but all the ones Ive seen have been pretty quiet. Hoping to share some of my knowledge in exchange for help on other issues, there are always new questions cropping up however long you've been living here i imagine. Anyway, I've been in France for about 10 years so I'll look out for questions on subjects I have experience in. Hope to chat soon
Hi, and welcome to the forum! As this section is simply for introductions, post again in the main section below with any questions, or answers to our questions!
I understand from your post (moved to the Jobs Offered section as adverts aren't allowed elsewhere) that you're a caterer?
Old Feb 7th 2017, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I'm Bruce - retired American and British cit with my wife Marie, she's also AmerBrit. We're living in Austin, TX but moving to Paris in April. We've been to France quite a few times, but plan to live there at least a year and then decide whether to make it home.

This forum seems loaded with good information.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

becky5252 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

My names Rebecca, and I am completely new to using anything like a blog so please be gentle! I very recently moved in with my French boyfriend in Normandy, I am trying to adjust to the move but it's a huge change! I am in my early 20's and am looking for any help with where to learn French, finding work etc

I would really love any help you can think of!

Thank you!!
Old Feb 15th 2017, 2:19 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by becky5252
Hello!

My names Rebecca, and I am completely new to using anything like a blog so please be gentle! I very recently moved in with my French boyfriend in Normandy, I am trying to adjust to the move but it's a huge change! I am in my early 20's and am looking for any help with where to learn French, finding work etc

Thank you!!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in a New Thread in the main section below, as this section is for introductions only and your post will get swallowed up by the following. Whereabouts are you in Normandie? and What are your qualifications?
Take a look in the Read Me: moving to France FAQs which give info on several important issues.
For example, while job-hunting, you must take out private healthcare insurance until you're in the French System (either by finding employment or by being resident for 3 months). You should also get your name included on a Utility Bill and/or rental lease, as you'll need to justify your domicile for so many things in France. Your French bf should be able to arrange this. (He should also be aware of the employment market in your area....)
Good luck in your new life!
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becky5252
Hello!

Thank you!!
'Ello Rebecca.

I live in Normandy, in 61. Which département are you in? Normandie eeez a verrreee beeeeeg place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.