Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Sep 24th 2017, 4:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by Travellove
Hey! It's so nice to meet you all. Good day...
Hi, and welcome to the France forum!
I see you have already posted on various other country forums. If you have questions on moving to France, post a New Thread in the main forum below, otherwise your post will get swallowed up by the next Introduction.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:15 am
Just Joined

StenG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I am planning on moving to France with my wife this winter, heading towards Correze where I have French friends. I am a maintenance gardener and will be looking for work. Despite speaking good French there is a lot that is new to me and once I get going I am going to be full of questions mostly about bureaucracy!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 8:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StenG
Hi there,
I am planning on moving to France with my wife this winter, heading towards Correze where I have French friends. I am a maintenance gardener and will be looking for work. Despite speaking good French there is a lot that is new to me and once I get going I am going to be full of questions mostly about bureaucracy!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the main forum below with your various questions, as your post will get swallowed up by the next introduction and may not be seen.
Meanwhile take a look at the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs, particularly Starting a Business (which you'll have to do as it's unlikely you'll find a salaried job in your field) and Healthcare insurance (the latest up-to-date posts). Upon arrival you'll need private healthcare until your professional status is organised and you're paying into the System. Also "Renting" if you intend to do so, or '"Inheritance Laws" if you are buying property.
Can your French friends on the spot advise on the potential market for your services? In my neck of the woods (rural), you'd have problems finding regular work due to the competition and the fact that many potential customers are tightening their belts due to the economic situation. Sorry not to be more optimistic, but fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Oct 1st 2017, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Piece Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,
I'm already living in the Charente, just looking to make new acquaintances and friends (everyone nearby seems to be retired) in the 30s and 40s bracket :0)

I've got 2 small kids (6&7) and love it here, life has changed though so looking to meet new people - especially who understand how tough it is being a single parent in an adopted country!

Have a great day!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Piece Perdue
Hi Everyone,
I'm already living in the Charente, just looking to make new acquaintances and friends (everyone nearby seems to be retired) in the 30s and 40s bracket :0)

I've got 2 small kids (6&7) and love it here, life has changed though so looking to meet new people - especially who understand how tough it is being a single parent in an adopted country!

Have a great day!
Hi and welcome to the forum!
One way of meeting people and making friends is via your children - at the school gates, their friends' birthday parties, school, sports clubs or other activities.... You'll find that you aren't the only single parent....
You don't say whether you're working and how available you are, but there must be plenty of Clubs and Associations in your Commune that you could join and meet people with similar interests, at least during school time. Your Mairie will give you a list. Admittedly more difficult if the activities take place when there's no school and you have to find child-minders, but that's a personal choice...
Post again in the main forum below, as your present post will get swallowed up by the next Introduction.
Members will come along with other suggestions applicable nationwide, not particularly limited to the Charente....
Good luck!
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Helenaofthewest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to La Rochelle with my boyfriend. He is originally from Grenoble area. This is my first time living in France. I'm originally from St. Lucia (Caribbean), then moved to Florida, Netherlands, England and now here in France. I'm a psychologist and therapist, while he is an aeronautical engineer.

We are both mid-20s and don't know anyone in the area, so we are up for meeting new people and getting advice etc.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Helenaofthewest
Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to La Rochelle with my boyfriend. He is originally from Grenoble area. This is my first time living in France. I'm originally from St. Lucia (Caribbean), then moved to Florida, Netherlands, England and now here in France. I'm a psychologist and therapist, while he is an aeronautical engineer.

We are both mid-20s and don't know anyone in the area, so we are up for meeting new people and getting advice etc.
First question, if you are hoping to find work in your field: Do you speak French? and will your qualifications be validated in France?
Please take a look in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs. below, particularly the "Partner Status", "Renting", the latest posts in "Healthcare", and other pertinent threads. If you buy property, and aren't legally bound, then you should ask the Notaire how best to protect your respective interests. Your bf may not be aware of the risks, and in fact, being French, won't see your situation from an expat's standpoint.
Post again in the main forum below, with more details about yourselves, as this post will get swallowed up by the following Introductions.
P.S. Are you British or EU? Presume that you don't need a Visa to live/work in France?

Last edited by dmu; Nov 29th 2017 at 11:40 am.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Hello everyone,

I am a dual-nationality (St. Lucian and British) psychologist/ EMDR therapist who has recently moved to La Rochelle, France with my French aerospace engineer boyfriend. He already has a job here in La Rochelle. We are both in mid-20s.

I do speak French (about B2) level and may start a course at the university for B2 french to improve my level and meet new people. As for this doing an official course- has anyone done this? Do you recommend it?

For my qualifications, the process is long with lots of paperwork... but I am in the middle of translating my diploma (Masters in Forensic Psychology) but I think it should be validated here no problem as I did the Masters in the Netherlands.

I am hoping to use my qualifications here, specifically offering EMDR therapy to first English speakers and then to French speakers as my french level improves. Right now, I am doing English lessons with locals but finding clientele for both the ENglish lessons and EMDR therapy is a slow process.

Being that I don't know anyone really here in La Rochelle, I'm hoping to meet new people and discover new things using this site.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tips! I will be sure to read it
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Helenaofthewest
Hello everyone,

I am a dual-nationality (St. Lucian and British) psychologist/ EMDR therapist who has recently moved to La Rochelle, France with my French aerospace engineer boyfriend. He already has a job here in La Rochelle. We are both in mid-20s.

I do speak French (about B2) level and may start a course at the university for B2 french to improve my level and meet new people. As for this doing an official course- has anyone done this? Do you recommend it?

For my qualifications, the process is long with lots of paperwork... but I am in the middle of translating my diploma (Masters in Forensic Psychology) but I think it should be validated here no problem as I did the Masters in the Netherlands.

I am hoping to use my qualifications here, specifically offering EMDR therapy to first English speakers and then to French speakers as my french level improves. Right now, I am doing English lessons with locals but finding clientele for both the ENglish lessons and EMDR therapy is a slow process.

Being that I don't know anyone really here in La Rochelle, I'm hoping to meet new people and discover new things using this site.
For anyone, like me, who has no idea what EMDR means, here's the France site which explains all. If you yourself haven't already researched, you'll note that there are 3 EMDR-thérapeutes in La Rochelle alone....
I wonder whether you'll have to take an exam in French before your Dutch qualifications are validated here? I didn't read the whole site...
In order to contact any BE locals, post again in the main part of the forum, or do a forum search (button top right) and you'll find a few recent threads posted by relative newcomers to La Rochelle.
You could also go along to the Mairie to ask for a list of Clubs and Associations. You could join a couple and meet people with similar interests, with the added bonus of improving your French!
Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ooops, here's the link:

EMDR France: Accueil
Old Dec 13th 2017, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

AmberSN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just signed up to this website.
I'm Amber, I am planning on moving back to France after spending 7 years in Toronto,Canada. I'm moving back with my 3 year old. Looking for some advice.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Carolinessss is an unknown quantity at this point

hello
my name is Caroline and my husband is Viv. We are thinking of moving to France this year. We currently live in Alberta Canada but are originally from Bristol and Portsmouth. I don't want to retire in Canada and had almost moved to France about 15 years ago. With one thing or another and life in there somewhere it did not come to fruition. But as my twilight years are approaching we are more serious than ever about the move. My question is, and this is probably the unkown but here goes anyway. If we move should we do it before the official brexit date or should we wait that is the question. We plan to buy a house with some form of B&B and or gites. We will be coming over in May to have a look around from Normandy to Bordeaux. I know this is a large area but we really don't know where is the best place to settle. Please help with any information or advice you might have.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Carolinessss is an unknown quantity at this point

hello
my name is Caroline and my husband is Viv. We are thinking of moving to France this year. We currently live in Alberta Canada but are originally from Bristol and Portsmouth. I don't want to retire in Canada and had almost moved to France about 15 years ago. With one thing or another and life in there somewhere it did not come to fruition. But as my twilight years are approaching we are more serious than ever about the move. My question is, and this is probably the unkown but here goes anyway. If we move should we do it before the official brexit date or should we wait that is the question. We plan to buy a house with some form of B&B and or gites. We will be coming over in May to have a look around from Normandy to Bordeaux. I know this is a large area but we really don't know where is the best place to settle. Please help with any information or advice you might have.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Carolinessss
hello
Post again in the main forum below, with more info about yourselves. This is a section for introductions and your post will get swallowed up by the following ones.
Do you speak French? Are you hoping to earn a living solely with a B&B/Gîte? Will you eventually be receiving a partial UK State Pension and is there a reciprocal arrangement between Canada and France?
Take a look in the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs below, particularly "Growing Old in France", "Inheritance", ... and read
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F12017
for residency requirements, and
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...ualites/A10282
which gives apparently not up-to-date info on the PUMA healthcare insurance system.
There are many aspects to research before you decide where to spend your twilight years! If you decide on any EU country, it might be better to settle before Brexit, in view of the uncertainty of what will happen for non-EU citizens post-Brexit.
I've rambled on rather, for a welcome-to-the-forum post! After reading the above threads/links, post again in a New Thread below with more specifics, and those more in the know will advise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.