Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Wikiposts

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Aug 5th 2018, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Jerican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by Nick Cook
Hello everyone

Looking for some advise on areas to move to in south of France.

I have for year old twins so looking for somewhere good for a young family, not too isolated. I will also need good links back to London Heathrow and Valencia airports. can any one help me please?
Try the main France forum, I’m new here too, good luck.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 1:25 am
Just Joined

mikewaudby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello. My wife and I are thinking seriously about moving to France to set up a B & B and/or gite business. Areas we are looking at are Poitou Charentes and Vendee. Have read varying reports from best thing we ever did, to ended in divorce and now stuck with property we can't sell. Any anecdotes, advice, experiences please?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:39 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewaudby
Hello. My wife and I are thinking seriously about moving to France to set up a B & B and/or gite business. Areas we are looking at are Poitou Charentes and Vendee. Have read varying reports from best thing we ever did, to ended in divorce and now stuck with property we can't sell. Any anecdotes, advice, experiences please?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the main section of the forum below, as your post will be swallowed up by the following introductions, and may not be seen.
I only read reports about running a B&B/gîte on the forum, and from what I understand you can't earn a living doing so, unless you have a regular income coming in from other sources and it's an occupational "hobby".
Post again in a New Thread, giving your ages, family commitments, French skills, etc... and some one more in the know will come along with advice. For a start, unless you're in receipt of UK State Pensions, you must take out private healthcare insurance until you're eligible to enter the French Social Security System.
Research, research, research is the keyword, and you've come to the right place for advice!
Old Aug 17th 2018, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Trouble Up North is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There!! New to the forum ...We are just about to complete the sale on a house in Terrasson-Lavilledieu and plan to move out permanently early next year.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 6:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trouble Up North
Hi There!! New to the forum ...We are just about to complete the sale on a house in Terrasson-Lavilledieu and plan to move out permanently early next year.
Had to check to see where Terrasson-Lavilledieu is! (Dordogne for any one else who didn't know!).
Post again in the main part of the forum, with more details of yourselves - whether you're working, retired, "inactifs",..., bringing family, etc... and ask away! Take a look in the pertinent threads in the "Read Me: Moving to France FAQs" especially if the "we" are "partners" and you've purchased property.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Duncan84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody. I'm Duncan. I work as a gardener and have just set up my own business in La Vendée. I have moved here with my French wife who is from here and our 2 children. My hobbies include music and cycling. I kind of want to say more about the gardening but am thinking that will be removed as an advert so I'll move on.
This is the 3rd country I've lived in being from Somerset, England and then living briefly in Barcelona then back around the UK. At the moment I only know my wifes family here so am hoping to find people around the Vendée to meet as my french improves.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:59 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Duncan84
Hi everybody. I'm Duncan. I work as a gardener and have just set up my own business in La Vendée. I have moved here with my French wife who is from here and our 2 children. My hobbies include music and cycling. I kind of want to say more about the gardening but am thinking that will be removed as an advert so I'll move on.
This is the 3rd country I've lived in being from Somerset, England and then living briefly in Barcelona then back around the UK. At the moment I only know my wifes family here so am hoping to find people around the Vendée to meet as my french improves.
Post again in the main part of the forum below, clicking on New Thread. This is for introductions only and will get swallowed up by the next post.
Meanwhile, go along to your Mairie and ask for a list of Clubs and Associations - there's sure to be a cycling club, choir, "harmonie" (if this suits your musical preference!), etc... in the area which you could join and meet people with the same interests. There's usually a Forum des Associations in each town about this time where you can also get more detailed info. With 2 children you could get involved in their school's activities, PTA, etc... and meet other parents (in addition to your children's pals' parents).
Meanwhile if you simply want to be able to speak English with a fellow Brit (and I can understand that!), hopefully some one will come along with local ideas, there are a good few members in the Vendée.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 11:12 am
Just Joined

BlahBlahBlahThunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hello - seemingly I joined BritishExpats back in 2016 but just getting around to saying 'hello' now...
Just signed the lettre d'intention... on a property in Saint Privat de Pres near Riberac and VERY excited! Looking for information about the area and advice on tradespeople for a few small jobs that need doing.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 7:32 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlahThunk
Hello - seemingly I joined BritishExpats back in 2016 but just getting around to saying 'hello' now...
Just signed the lettre d'intention... on a property in Saint Privat de Pres near Riberac and VERY excited! Looking for information about the area and advice on tradespeople for a few small jobs that need doing.
Hi, and welcome (back) to the forum!
Post again in the main part of the forum below (New Thread), as this is simply for introductions and your post will get swallowed up by the next introduction, and ask away!
Old Sep 19th 2018, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Debz63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we have just offered on a property near Poitiers and would love to hear from other Brits living locally. we are buying a house which needs lots of work so would be great to receive any tips!!
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Debz, I think there may be one or two members around Poitiers though I'm not in that area myself. There are lots of threads on renovations, but make sure you get up to date info because building rules and regs do tend to keep evolving in France. Always best to check the official sources when you need to have your facts absolutely straight, for instance the government website service-public is always kept up to date. Good luck with it!
Old Sep 19th 2018, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Debz63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

[QUOTE=EuroTrash;12565248]Hiya Debz, I think there may be one or two members around Poitiers though I'm not in that area myself. There are lots of threads on renovations, but make sure you get up to date info because building rules and regs do tend to keep evolving in France. Always best to check the official sources when you need to have your facts absolutely straight, for instance the government website service-public is always kept up to date. Good luck with it![/QUOTE

Many thanks. I am beginning to learn that beaurocracy rules!!!
Old Sep 20th 2018, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Keya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Living in Drome and about to take on a rental house the owner sent a contract that was writtin in 1989. I'm guessing that various laws have changed int he last 30 years and am looking for a more recent one...
Help???
Old Sep 21st 2018, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keya, this thread is for saying hello on, not for asking questions on! Questions should go in the main forum or they get overlooked. Anyway - yes various laws have changed, you don't say what type of rental contract but assuming for an unfurnished let you'll find all the info here, plus a model contract https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/F920
Hope that helps
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Daygar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ALL

Having spent 9 years with a holiday home in the Pay de Loire, we have just taken the plunge and move to france. We are looking forward to hearing from expats near to the town of Le lude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.