Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jul 3rd 2016, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by BenOakley
Hi everyone. I and my girlfriend are seriously looking at moving to France. We have obligations for the next year or two, lottery win excluded , but we will be moving after then.

We're both learning French now - duolingo, speaky, books, listening to radio and so on so that we have a reasonable level by the time we move.

We are looking at the Rhone area and we have booked a holiday to Lyon in October.
Welcome to the forum.
If you have any particular queries later on, post again in the main part of the forum, by clicking on the "New Thread" tab.
Enjoy your Oct holiday in Lyon!
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 7:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenOakley
Hi everyone. I and my girlfriend are seriously looking at moving to France. We have obligations for the next year or two, lottery win excluded , but we will be moving after then.

We're both learning French now - duolingo, speaky, books, listening to radio and so on so that we have a reasonable level by the time we move.

We are looking at the Rhone area and we have booked a holiday to Lyon in October.
Likewise welcome to the forum!
As suggested by TP, post again in the main part of the forum with any queries. Meanwhile you could take a look in the various threads in the "Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs" thread below for general info about living and working in France.
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 8:03 am
Just Joined

BenOakley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.

It's difficult to work out what we're going to need to do due to the obvious issues that may or may not be caused if we do or don't leave the EU.

We're carrying on as if nothing will have actually changed by then. It's an interesting and exciting time either way!
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Mudchute is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've joined up as I'm looking for those who have managed to buy and renovate property in France. My family, namely my parents have long considered the idea of moving to France and something has spurred them on to start making serious plans top make that step. I'm representing them, my wife and daughter and my sister, husband and son as we'd like to do it as a family and are looking to buy and renovate a suitable building we could all live in and potentially turn into a business too.

Job prospects aside, we're trying to find out about others experiences buying and renovating properties over there, what planning departments are like to work with and if there are any unusual (to a brit) fees/taxes/building lawas we might encounter so, I'll post up somec questions down below shortly.

Thank you!
Old Jul 4th 2016, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mudchute
Hi all,

I've joined up as I'm looking for those who have managed to buy and renovate property in France. My family, namely my parents have long considered the idea of moving to France and something has spurred them on to start making serious plans top make that step. I'm representing them, my wife and daughter and my sister, husband and son as we'd like to do it as a family and are looking to buy and renovate a suitable building we could all live in and potentially turn into a business too.

Job prospects aside, we're trying to find out about others experiences buying and renovating properties over there, what planning departments are like to work with and if there are any unusual (to a brit) fees/taxes/building lawas we might encounter so, I'll post up somec questions down below shortly.

Thank you!
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As you say, you should post your questions in the main forum.
Good luck with your dream.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Bonjour Mudchute
Originally Posted by Mudchute
Hi all,
if there are any unusual (to a brit) fees/taxes/building lawas we might encounter.
Expect all the rules to be different - because why would France have the same laws as the UK - and you won't go far wrong
That sounds like three or possibly more households (depending on ages of your daughter and your sister's son; children can be classed as dependents, up to the age of 18 is it?) needing to qualify for healthcare.
Parents in receipt of pensions from the UK, so entitled to S1s to cover them for as long as the UK stays part of the EU?
Plans for the other households?
If not, maybe that needs considering first, to see how viable it would be for you all to move here. These days, finding a way to access healthcare tends to be the sticking point for most Brits who would like to do what you're proposing.

Beyond that, ask away on the main forum
Old Jul 5th 2016, 12:19 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Bonjour Mudchute

Expect all the rules to be different - because why would France have the same laws as the UK - and you won't go far wrong
That sounds like three or possibly more households (depending on ages of your daughter and your sister's son; children can be classed as dependents, up to the age of 18 is it?) needing to qualify for healthcare.
Parents in receipt of pensions from the UK, so entitled to S1s to cover them for as long as the UK stays part of the EU?
Plans for the other households?
If not, maybe that needs considering first, to see how viable it would be for you all to move here. These days, finding a way to access healthcare tends to be the sticking point for most Brits who would like to do what you're proposing.

Beyond that, ask away on the main forum

There was a query from a multi-generational family some time ago, and the thread petered out, maybe due to the healthcare-insurance and tax complications.
This family has 8 members to sort out healthwise and taxwise (spread out in at least 3 different tax households), not to mention the business structure that they must set up in order to run a business from their domicile, nor the French Inheritance Laws if there are several joint owners.
As you suggest, they should ask again on the main forum, otherwise all this will get swallowed up by the following introduction.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Vickioz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
With the influx of new members in the France Section of the Forum somewhere for the Newer members to say Hi and the Old ones as well.

So come on then?
Hi I'm Vicki (husband. Chris) we have semi moved to Le Bugue (Dordogne) We are here in school holidays at present but plan to retire here. Lovely area friendly people. Love it. We live close to the river Vezere beautiful walk for our dog.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vickioz
Hi I'm Vicki (husband. Chris) we have semi moved to Le Bugue (Dordogne) We are here in school holidays at present but plan to retire here. Lovely area friendly people. Love it. We live close to the river Vezere beautiful walk for our dog.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the general section below, either with queries in a New Thread or with answers/comments on on-going threads!
Old Aug 14th 2016, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am a single old bat who has lived in Spain for 30 years.I have my own apartment which I love,in a very nice small town,& will probably keep it.However have recently sold another apartment I was intending for my Spanish granddaughter,but she has been taken back to UK.So ,this time,I want to please myself,& thinking about somewhere in Normandy which I could initially use as a holiday home,maybe later become resident.In the past,have spent lots of holidays there & I also have family all along the south coast of England.My French used to be reasonable so better gen up on that.I imagine that French property selling is similar to Spanish but I need to get some real advice.As an English person I have survived living amongst the Scots & the Spanish ,but what about life in France?Pointers needed.
Old Aug 14th 2016, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucilastic
Hi, I am a single old bat who has lived in Spain for 30 years.I have my own apartment which I love,in a very nice small town,& will probably keep it.However have recently sold another apartment I was intending for my Spanish granddaughter,but she has been taken back to UK.So ,this time,I want to please myself,& thinking about somewhere in Normandy which I could initially use as a holiday home,maybe later become resident.In the past,have spent lots of holidays there & I also have family all along the south coast of England.My French used to be reasonable so better gen up on that.I imagine that French property selling is similar to Spanish but I need to get some real advice.As an English person I have survived living amongst the Scots & the Spanish ,but what about life in France?Pointers needed.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the general section below, either with queries in a New Thread or with answers/comments on on-going threads!
I don't know if old bats are a protected species in France but I think that the correct location would be essential for you.
See you in the main forum.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Airstream Stevie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to one and all,

Not actually got to France yet but hopefully this up and coming trip starting on the 25th will be the one.
The wife is an ex-teacher now turned therapeutic massage therapist and after 15yrs chasing pirates for the Royal Navy i now restore vintage Airstream travel trailers.
So fingers crossed we will find somewhere in the Poitou-Charentes region and be building and settling there very soon.

Big love,
Stevie & Jacqui
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

baguette is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, newby here !
Quick intro - Moved to Paris from UK last month. Weather a very nice surprise 😊
French a bit rusty but youtube videos are helping.
Love the way the French use Monsieur/Madame all the time.
Bonjour Madame
Excusez-moi Madame

Thanks !
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

AdrianJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife and I, both retired, are staying with friends in St Martial de Nabirat for the month of October.
We will be visiting Eymet, Lauzun, Duras and Lalinde with a view to finding a house to buy as we are planning a permanent move to La Belle France.
We have both travelled widely and know France from business trips and holidays. Obviously, we have decided that the Aquitaine is the place to be!
One of factors that attracted us to Eymet is the opportunity to get involved with community groups, our interests being the arts, music, writing, walking and singing with a choir. But if any of the above towns have the same to offer, I'd be pleased to hear!
We both worked in the music business - Anne still does, freelance - and I also worked in television, tourism and a few other things on the press and PR side.
I currently carry out freelance research for writers, archivists and the like.
We live in Hay on Wye, Wales, but are hoping to move asap. Brexit or no Brexit! Or perhaps because of.
I'd be glad to hear from other members and perhaps meeting some of you before too long.
Oh yes............I do speak fairly good basic French and am currently taking a refresher course. Would continue with lessons once in France.

adrianjohn
Old Sep 7th 2016, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdrianJohn
My wife and I, both retired, are staying with friends in St Martial de Nabirat for the month of October.
We will be visiting Eymet, Lauzun, Duras and Lalinde with a view to finding a house to buy as we are planning a permanent move to La Belle France.
We have both travelled widely and know France from business trips and holidays. Obviously, we have decided that the Aquitaine is the place to be!
One of factors that attracted us to Eymet is the opportunity to get involved with community groups, our interests being the arts, music, writing, walking and singing with a choir. But if any of the above towns have the same to offer, I'd be pleased to hear!
We both worked in the music business - Anne still does, freelance - and I also worked in television, tourism and a few other things on the press and PR side.
I currently carry out freelance research for writers, archivists and the like.
We live in Hay on Wye, Wales, but are hoping to move asap. Brexit or no Brexit! Or perhaps because of.
I'd be glad to hear from other members and perhaps meeting some of you before too long.
Oh yes............I do speak fairly good basic French and am currently taking a refresher course. Would continue with lessons once in France.

adrianjohn
Hi,
I would say welcome to the forum but I see that you have already posted on the main forum.
Any specific questions should be posted on the main forum as this thread is just to say hello.
You won't be able to continue freelance work in France without setting up a business structure.
Best wishes for your journey into your new life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.