Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Gingerslf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

I have posted a few questions today but I didn't officially say 'hi' yet so......

I'm hoping to move to St Paul Lizonne near to St Severin, Riberac and Auberterre sur Dronne, buying a holiday home with friends.

I fear I will have many questions, but going by the response so far there are many willing to offer help and expertise.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:29 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gingerslf
I have posted a few questions today but I didn't officially say 'hi' yet so......

I'm hoping to move to St Paul Lizonne near to St Severin, Riberac and Auberterre sur Dronne, buying a holiday home with friends.

I fear I will have many questions, but going by the response so far there are many willing to offer help and expertise.
Welcome Again....
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

johnwarner75 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Ka Ora!, I’m pretty new too, so here is an especially warm hello for me
Old Jul 26th 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by johnwarner75
hi Ka Ora!, I’m pretty new too, so here is an especially warm hello for me
Welcome to the Forum.....
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

chrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nice
Talking Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi All, This is our first post so apologies if you read this twice as we did put it on the introductions page to begin with, we are Chris and Jacqui and we will be retiring next year from the public sector in the UK after 30+ years service each and before HMG gets even more of our hard earnt pensions! (I am a Fire Officer and my wife is a Civil servant DWP)
We are only just starting out on our exploration of France with a few trips over to the South Western area (Languedoc/Dordogne region) to begin with, although we are planning to undertake a proper road trip later next year or early in 2013 (along with Roger - our Dandie Dinmont terrier!)
This may well involve renting somewhere in France for a few months whilst we have a look around. I'm quite interested in owning a boat of some sort, so will be quite interested in areas near the French canels.
We've only just discovered the British expats forum so will no doubt be frequent visitors probably with loads of questions! (particularly to the French contributors) Look forward to learning more from you all as well as sharing our own experiences on the mysteries of France!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisnjac
Hi All, This is our first post so apologies if you read this twice as we did put it on the introductions page to begin with, we are Chris and Jacqui and we will be retiring next year from the public sector in the UK after 30+ years service each and before HMG gets even more of our hard earnt pensions! (I am a Fire Officer and my wife is a Civil servant DWP)
We are only just starting out on our exploration of France with a few trips over to the South Western area (Languedoc/Dordogne region) to begin with, although we are planning to undertake a proper road trip later next year or early in 2013 (along with Roger - our Dandie Dinmont terrier!)
This may well involve renting somewhere in France for a few months whilst we have a look around. I'm quite interested in owning a boat of some sort, so will be quite interested in areas near the French canels.
We've only just discovered the British expats forum so will no doubt be frequent visitors probably with loads of questions! (particularly to the French contributors) Look forward to learning more from you all as well as sharing our own experiences on the mysteries of France!
Hi, and welcome to the France forum!
I live in the Languedoc and the first thing that springs to mind is the Canal du Midi if you're interested in areas near canals. It stretches from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic, which gives you plenty of scope!
Don't hesitate to ask more questions! (in the main section a few threads down).
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I live in the Languedoc and the first thing that springs to mind is the Canal du Midi if you're interested in areas near canals. It stretches from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic, which gives you plenty of scope!
Yes, it's always been wonderful - even for non-boating folks - just strolling along the banks of the Canal du Midi.
This is what it used to look like - and some stretches still do - but unfortunately not for long. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.......

Photo: Peter Gugerell. Wiki - Canal du Midi

A virulent incurable canker stain is affecting the health of the plane trees shading the banks along the 240klm long Canal du Midi - a UNESCO World Heritage site. The plan is that all 42,000 trees lining the canal will have to be felled within the next 15 years. And this has already started on a large scale. Sad!
Read on.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...75million.html

For the historians amongst you, it is claimed that the micro fungus (Ceratocystis platani) now affecting the trees arrived in France by way of contaminated wooden ammunition boxes of American GI's during WWII.

A variety of trees more resistant to the disease will eventually be planted, but it will be at least 30 or 40 years before a leafy canopy is again established along the Canal du Midi.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Aug 3rd 2011 at 9:13 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Thanks for a great post ;
I love the place and will be just so sorry about it all .
I hope they'll be able to recue it , bit by bit .
Cheers , R.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

chrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nicechrisnjac is just really nice

Originally Posted by dmu
Thanks for your reply, not sure where you mean when you refer to a 'main section a few threads further down'? (Still learning!)
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 4:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisnjac
Thanks for your reply, not sure where you mean when you refer to a 'main section a few threads further down'? (Still learning!)
Sorry, I wasn't clear!
I meant, start a new thread, clicking on the blue button to the left, just above the Introduction Thread, and when you've finished it, it will show up a few threads further down, i.e. after the Read Me threads.
Otherwise your questions will get lost in the Introduction Thread...
Don't worry, I'm learning new things about the forum all the time!!!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

lafourche is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
With the influx of new members in the France Section of the Forum somewhere for the Newer members to say Hi and the Old ones as well.

So come on then?

Hi have just joined B/E and not used to the layout yet,so hopefully will be doing this correctly,Am trying to convince my partner that moving to france is the best thing we can do,She's not convinced,I have been looking at the Brittany area and think that the pontivy or malestroit area look really nice,We are planning a trip there in september so will have to wait and see,I am a big jazz fan and have been looking at venues in these areas but there seems to be very little information,If theres anyone out there who could give me some info would be very grateful,cheers,phil.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 5th 2011 at 3:30 pm. Reason: Repair Quote tags
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:05 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lafourche
Hi have just joined B/E and not used to the layout yet,so hopefully will be doing this correctly,Am trying to convince my partner that moving to france is the best thing we can do,She's not convinced,I have been looking at the Brittany area and think that the pontivy or malestroit area look really nice,We are planning a trip there in september so will have to wait and see,I am a big jazz fan and have been looking at venues in these areas but there seems to be very little information,If theres anyone out there who could give me some info would be very grateful,cheers,phil.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Can't help re la Bretagne nor jazz, but some one from the Region will come along soon, otherwise google "jazz en Bretagne" for example.
You don't say whether you'll both be looking for work or coming to retire, whether you speak French.... You'll need to look into the question of healthcare coverage, whatever, the formalities of renting or buying, etc.. - French systems and procedures that are different from the UK.
Give us more details about yourselves, ask away, preferably by clicking on New Thread, not the Introduction Thread where specific questions tend to get missed...
Once again, welcome!

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 5th 2011 at 3:32 pm. Reason: Repair Quote tags
Old Aug 5th 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by lafourche
Welcome to the forum, Cant help with Jazz, But can help with France and so can all the members in this section. So ask away I took the liberty of fixing your quote tags as if you delete any of the Quote brackets future quotes become somewhat garbled.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Aug 5th 2011 at 4:06 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

AppleGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say Hi before i start bombarding you all with questions
Old Aug 6th 2011, 4:32 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AppleGirl
Just wanted to say Hi before i start bombarding you all with questions
Bombard away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.