Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:27 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Like a rubber ball I keep bouncing back!
Last posted in October last year upon my second life in France.

I am in Salies de Bearn , Pyrenees Atlantique, a beautiful town noted, by name, for its salt which was first mined in the 12th century and is still in production today, notably for curing the Jambon de Bayonne (if it is genuine).

I am researching a book which includes some of the history of the town and France in general, from mid-19th Century onwards and hope to organise it this winter.

I used to live in the Gers which is far hotter and drier than this area. Sometimes it feels almost tropical here and gardening is a whole new experience. A huge rain storm decimated my petunias on the balcony...and the clay makes choice of plants more restricted.

But it is good to be back after a five year break. England in particular seems to get more difficult as SW France seems to have found a stability. At my age that is a bonus!!

I hope to get to know you better and wish everyone luck in their French adventure.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:59 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Etoile de Berger
Like a rubber ball I keep bouncing back!
Last posted in October last year upon my second life in France.

I am in Salies de Bearn , Pyrenees Atlantique, a beautiful town noted, by name, for its salt which was first mined in the 12th century and is still in production today, notably for curing the Jambon de Bayonne (if it is genuine).

I am researching a book which includes some of the history of the town and France in general, from mid-19th Century onwards and hope to organise it this winter.

I used to live in the Gers which is far hotter and drier than this area. Sometimes it feels almost tropical here and gardening is a whole new experience. A huge rain storm decimated my petunias on the balcony...and the clay makes choice of plants more restricted.

But it is good to be back after a five year break. England in particular seems to get more difficult as SW France seems to have found a stability. At my age that is a bonus!!

I hope to get to know you better and wish everyone luck in their French adventure.
Welcome to the Forum
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:33 am
Just Joined

hilaryw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Welcome to the Forum
Hi
I have just moved to Biarritz from the UK with my partner (who is French). He has a job and I am looking! I am keen to improve my French and would love to hear from anyone who has also moved to the area!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by hilaryw
Hi
I have just moved to Biarritz from the UK with my partner (who is French). He has a job and I am looking! I am keen to improve my French and would love to hear from anyone who has also moved to the area!
Welcome to the forum
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

nicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nice

Hello everybody,

I am new to France, currently living in the Vendee, near Fontenay. We've been here a month so its early days. Yet to make friends so a bit lonely at the moment. I never planned on moving here but my parents have had a home here for about 6 years and have now retired out here permanantly. I was widowed last year and decided to start again out here, so I'm all a bit up in the air not really sure what to do with my life now! Would love to meet new people
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:01 am
Banned

Etoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of lightEtoile de Berger is a glorious beacon of light

Distance is no problem.

Just ask about what you don't understand.

BTW many areas run clubs for Brits or French/Brits. Your mairie may know of such a thing in your area.

Welcome to France!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

nicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nicenicksie is just really nice

Thank you, I will check it out. I have joined AVF and attended the first week, I think it will be easy enough to find other Brits, but I would like to make some French friends too, this is harder I think!!! Any recomendations for good language schools/tutors/groups MUCH appreciated x x x
Old Sep 10th 2011, 1:52 pm
Banned

Check with people you meet...ask at the mairie and any cultural centre you may have. The Tourist Office often holds info on activities in the area.
We have a centre which does courses of things like languages, French and English for beginners, crochet and knittiing, crafts and hobbies etc.

There are usually flyers around in shops etc and theere is somethign called the Club de Troisieme Age for older residents almost everywhere. You may find it a bit staid however...

The grape harvest, vendange, is coming up...many small farmers need help to pick their own vines and thank you with a meal. Good way to meet the neighbours. Just go up to him and offer!

Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by nicksie
Hello everybody,

I am new to France, currently living in the Vendee, near Fontenay. We've been here a month so its early days. Yet to make friends so a bit lonely at the moment. I never planned on moving here but my parents have had a home here for about 6 years and have now retired out here permanantly. I was widowed last year and decided to start again out here, so I'm all a bit up in the air not really sure what to do with my life now! Would love to meet new people
Welcome to the forum
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:21 am
Just Joined

zago8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone Im Phil a timeserved Stonemason/builder currently living in Pelissanne close to Aix en Provence with my french Partner.Left Scotland a year ago after 1 too many cold winters and really enjoying living here.Found many things different than back home but always have a little help from my good French lady lol.After Rennovating a beautiful Property for a Client in Normandy i have been working on 2jobs closer to home which are nearing completion.Out looking for jobs as we speak to price and hopefully work on.Love the french climate and really enjoy working outside all year with only a few days wasted by the rain.Hope everyone is good and enjoying the new life and if anyone is near the Marseille area or even further afield then feel free to get in touch.....cheers
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Daniel_84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
I'm Daniel, an Australian/British duel citizen who just arrived in Angers, Pays de la Loire. Grew up in Adelaide (Aus) but have family in the Lake District and Somerset.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daniel_84
Hi there!
I'm Daniel, an Australian/British duel citizen who just arrived in Angers, Pays de la Loire. Grew up in Adelaide (Aus) but have family in the Lake District and Somerset.
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
The economic situation isn't good in France, but good luck with your search for a job!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Daniel_84
Hi there!
Welcome to the Forum, If you get any issues give us a shout
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

jetty is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

Am a newbie. My family and I are looking to move to France in 2013 so the research has commenced. We have two children 11 and 2, we rather excited about the move but realise there is a lot of hard work ahead. Looking forward to the challenge and also the change of lifestyle.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by jetty
Hi everyone,

Am a newbie. My family and I are looking to move to France in 2013 so the research has commenced. We have two children 11 and 2, we rather excited about the move but realise there is a lot of hard work ahead. Looking forward to the challenge and also the change of lifestyle.
Welcome to the Forum, Should you get any issues give me a shout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.