Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old May 14th 2024, 7:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Originally Posted by Flemis Intruder
Hi everyone,

FlemisH intruder here (not Flemis as in my nickname....way to introduce myself....anyway, can't change my nickname and I already wasted my other email address on another messed up attempt....time to have dinner I'd say).

I'm a 58yo woman retiring in 5 years and seriously thinking about moving to France on day 1 of my retirement.

I came across this site and thought it would be nice to register, having always had good contacts with Brits so why not?
Would look into moving to the SW, basically somewhere where the sun shines more than in my grey homeland. Not looking to move to regions where the heat is insufferable. I can deal with a little bit of winter (no frost winters that is) and blue skies are a must.
Considering buying a place with a decent plot of land with maybe a few gîtes on the land to create a little community. Nothing weird, feet firmly on the ground, just some friendly folk looking out for one another if and when necessary and maybe even doing some stuff together. This setup might avoid feeling isolated which is something I am afraid of.
Any likeminded people on here coz getting to know you would be lovely, I know it's still a few years but a good plan precedes a good outcome....most of the time

I think this is all as far as my introduction goes.
Enjoy the rest of your day people!
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the main Section below, as this post will be swallowed up by the next introduction.
Meanwhile, just a few thoughts:
It's difficult to suggest an area where the heat isn't insufferable in the Summer. The Languedoc wasn't the only region in the S.W. with 40°C temperatures for the last few summers. Maybe Bretagne or the Grand Est, and even then....
The problem with a "decent plot of land" is that it'll need a lot of work on it (following anti-fire regulations) and, after retirement age, you'll have less energy to clear it, not to mention cope with water restrictions for watering your plantations. You'd also have to cope with the inevitable bureaucracy for the "few gîtes" (permis de construire, etc...).
I don't want to put you off, just point out that two of your requirements need careful thought....
Fore-warned is fore-armed!