Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by andrewdaddy2
Hi TJ,
Im also a Crane driver looking to emergrate into Canada and I read your tread whuch has also got me a little worried have you got any advice you could pass on to me anything you would do differently.
Im glad you got your dog sorted I know I would do anything to get my dog back if the worse happened.
Thank,
Andy
Hi Andy

I realise you were asking TJ and no offense to her and her situation, everybody is different but from my own experience the only advice I would definately say is to research your area and profession of choice thoroughly.
Vancouver area, cost of living is very expensive in relation to certain areas in Alberta. We have no Provincial Sales Tax here and only 5% GST but are there Jobs for you?
Also, please make sure you have funds to support you for at least 6 months otherwise don't even entertain the idea wether you have a job or not. If you're on TWP things can change so quickly and if you havent the funds you will be in the same situation TJ was in.
Also, come with the attitude that no matter what you are not coming back.
Buying return tickets is a bad idea IMO. If you have the fallback idea in the back of your heads when you come here you will probably not make it.
And finally, you have to be prepared to give it more than 7 weeks!!! I've had longer vacations than that and to move your whole life, dog and kids (if you have them) to go back after only 7 weeks is ridiculous although many have done it.

We came here on PR, wouldn't entertain the idea of TWP, too risky IMO. We sold our house, eventually after we'd been here 6 months , brought our dogs and brought enough funds for 6 months as we had no jobs.
I was lucky enough to land a job after 1 day of looking and we havent looked back.
Wishing you the best of luck anyway
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:21 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Yes, that's all very fine and dandy, but those jobs are also open to unemployed Canadians and others who are already here. Plus, the economic picture is far from clear!
yes and no...there's a reason that delegations are visting over seas, there is a projected labour shortage in the coming years, something that has been reported consistently in the media over the past decade.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

lindabey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Thanks Londonuck and christmasoomps as ive said any information is all accepted with gratitude. yoshipal im only considering moving to canada as crane drivers are on the canadian governments critical list.
anyway keep all the info coming in it much appreciated

I think if you can ring and speak to a company in Canada and get a job offer this would be the ideal time. My husband went over Dec 1st and then had to do his Commercial Vehicle class 1 and airbrakes also took his Level B before he could start work. However, work did not pick up and I was a bit worried as when he first started at the company he was told one week that there was nothing for him. However by second week in February he has been very busy. out everyday up at 4 in the morning and doesnt get in until 7 some evenings.
Make sure you have enough money to tide you over. You need to pay for these tests and pass before you can start work and many of the Crane companies are Union based.
My husband went over to Canada and I stayed here in England with the house and dog until the house was sold and until he was up and running. House sold in December but we are still waiting to exchange , but it has been better doing this way because he has had time to sort all this out and get us a rental so when I get there things are all up and running. I would suggest if your gonna do it make sure you have money to tide you over for 6 months and go when the busy season is which i guess is between end February to October. I would say December and January are quiet months . Also If you have a family perhaps do like we have done go over on your own get yourself established and then your family follow . hope this helps. My husband loves it and is very happy.but it has not been done without worry and sacrificies. good luck
Old Feb 28th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

andrewdaddy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks lindabey,
How much did these courses cost your husband and how long did it take him to pass all the courses?
Where did your husband go I know there is work around the Regina area in sk as someone from where I work is going over in a few weeks and his boss to be has asked me for my cv already hopefully I will get a start but at the minute I'm trying to gather as much info as I can.
Also what visa did he go over for my mate boss to be has got him an LMO and he can apply for his visa over there.
Thanks,
Andy
Old Feb 28th 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks lindabey,
How much did these courses cost your husband and how long did it take him to pass all the courses?
Where did your husband go I know there is work around the Regina area in sk as someone from where I work is going over in a few weeks and his boss to be has asked me for my cv already hopefully I will get a start but at the minute I'm trying to gather as much info as I can.
Also what visa did he go over for my mate boss to be has got him an LMO and he can apply for his visa over there.
Thanks,
Andy
Hi we went through on th BCPNP route. Vancouver area.
I can give you a rough time line and costs.
Firstly once he did get a offer of employment he did his Level B on line. Our daughter lives in Vancouver so he was able to give that address as I dont think you can take it if your still in England as the licence gets sent to a Canadian address. You can find details of this at www.bcacs.ca. You can print out paperwork to study. Lots of calculations and revision You only have 60 minutes to do the test on line. The cost is on this website.
Basically my husband got to Canada Dec 1st. Went to ICBC and did a eye test and answered a few questions and changed his licence to a BC Licence. cost about 30 dollars i think. Had to have a medical and eye test for hgv cost about 100 .00 dollars.
He then went to Valley Driving School in Coquitlam and signed up for his Commercial Vehicle Lessons. As he took class 1 it cost him 2400.00 dollars.
He had classroom lessons plus in the lorry lessons. (you can download the commercial vehicle guide on line) to revise.
He applied for his test passed the airbrakes but failed the first test as the penalized him for getting too near the kerb although he did not hit it and not looking in the mirrors enough.
He applied for a new test but due to the waiting list had to wait about 8 days before retaking it. It was all done by the end of January. Started work properly 2nd week into February.
Im not sure about the work in the area you are looking at but all I know is that work is picking up now this time of year and most places are now crying out for crane drivers but come December they will be winding down for winter months.
I hope this is been some help to you .
You also have to join bcacs.ca and register with them and they create you a log book which you have to fill in each day after you work . but you need to register so you can study the questions before you take the level B test. This licence will be sent to a canadian address so perhaps you can give a friends if you have one in Canada.will take about 2 weeks to come through.
You can print the level b application off on line . you can take this once you get to canada this is only valid for one year and you need to take the Level A test within the year but you can operate under a level b certificate. my husband did his online in england before he went to canada but like i said gave my daughters address but he was in Canada a few weeks after he took it anyway.
Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

andrewdaddy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again lindabey,
Seems like there is a lot to do in a short amount of time but that's why I joined this fourm .
I haven't got my class 1 I wounder if this will go against me I do have the provisional on my licence.
Thanks again for the info I think I need to keep digging for a lot more
Andy
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again lindabey,
Seems like there is a lot to do in a short amount of time but that's why I joined this fourm .
I haven't got my class 1 I wounder if this will go against me I do have the provisional on my licence.
Thanks again for the info I think I need to keep digging for a lot more
Andy
My husband had his class 1 in england but had to retake in Canada as they do not recognise it over there. You can take I think commercial vehicle class 2 out there and you can drive a crane on that . The reason my husband took class 1 is that he was told if there is no crane work he can then drive lorries and it is more beneficial for a Canadian company if you have it. If you are planning to go to Canada i shouldnt worry too much about taking it in England as it will save you lots of money which you will need when you get to Canada.
Good Luck