Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
So, have they gone or not?
Dunno but the advice about taking furniture to the Salvation Army is questionable. I've found that they turn down most of my proposed donations, "too heavy", "not to local tastes", "improper collated", on and on.

What you want is the St. Vincent de Paul, curious dogma but a clientelle poor enough that they'd look seriously at any sort of seating or sleeping device. They'd probably even take furniture from dollface's place, put some sort of cover on it, tone down the nouveau riche glare, sell it to Italians or Portuguese.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I'll take that bet, if only on financial grounds that they wont try again without a plan B, and that takes time to save for.

I hope in the long term they do make it back, it seems like they all liked it here, except for the employment situation.
Isnt that illegal and does it not contravene the terms of this site

Seriously a very unfortunate set of circumstances and I hope they get home OK. I hope others have read this thread and taken note and that it might serve as a positive to others thinking of coming over here.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:47 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I'll take that bet, if only on financial grounds that they wont try again without a plan B, and that takes time to save for.

I hope in the long term they do make it back, it seems like they all liked it here, except for the employment situation.
Let me see, you are in Ontario, I'm unlikely to pay.....Ok 5c they come back within 12 months.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

From what TJ said about the extent of their debts in the UK, I think it is unlikely that they will be saving anything for a very long time.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:33 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly the debts are tied in the house, once we sell that next year we pay the lot off, we have a loose plan that hubby can come back in a few months, and we will follow a few months after. Don't know how I would cope without him to be honest because our sons autism is trying and with the other two kids as well I really rely on his support.
But our long term goal is Canada. Heck the family will never forgive us if we leave again but it's our lives!
But yeah, total back up plan in place before I consider that plane again!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:48 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Frankly the debts are tied in the house, once we sell that next year we pay the lot off, we have a loose plan that hubby can come back in a few months, and we will follow a few months after. Don't know how I would cope without him to be honest because our sons autism is trying and with the other two kids as well I really rely on his support.
But our long term goal is Canada. Heck the family will never forgive us if we leave again but it's our lives!
But yeah, total back up plan in place before I consider that plane again!
That's good - maybe the housing market will pick up again while you are renting it out.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Poverty and immigration have been closely coupled for centuries and are closely coupled today.
Certainly better economic opportunity is a reason for immigration but that doesn't necessarily mean that economic migrants are escaping poverty (although some certainly are). Some economic migrants are just better off in their new country - even if they weren't necessarily poor in their old country. Also I don't think economic immigration to escape poverty is as easy as it once was. Now countries such as Canada usually demand minimum levels of education, skills or investment - and it has also become more expensive to immigrate. So economic migration specifically to escape poverty is probably not as big a factor as it once was.

There are other reasons for immigration and these are just as relevant today as they once were and possibly more so:

- religious freedom / escaping religious persecution
- political freedom / escaping political persecution
- cultural freedom / escaping cultural persecution
- escaping racial persecution
- family reunification
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Now countries such as Canada usually demand minimum levels of education, skills or investment - and it has also become more expensive to immigrate.
In reverse order:

- how much has the cost of an airline ticket from say, Bombay to Toronto, risen relative to inflation in the past thirty years? I suggest that it hasn't, that this is the major cost in emigrating and that the cost of getting to Canada is not a factor for most immigrants. In fact, I doubt it's ever been a factor for any immigrant.

- Canada doesn't have any such requirement for the more popular immigrant classes, those considerations do apply to some posters here but that's a minority of immigrants overall and perhaps even a minority of posters.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Really hope this doesn't too disingenuous, but for the sake of holding out for a couple of months until the work picks up (which it will), your'e forking out to move back to the Uk and already thinking of moving back to Canada! I know things get tough when your thrown a curve ball but I'm struggling to see the the economic sense in this!! Obviously you know the full picture but I think a few years down the line you might look back on this with regret?!
Hope it goes well for you anyway....good luck x.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Craig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig1987 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to hear that your dream didn't pan out well. I plan to emigrate under the Canadian experience class in a few years, but your story has opened my eyes a little.

I don't know you, but I'm gutted as I can imagine what this means to you. I hope it all works out in the end, but I have to agree with others that there may have been an alternative to returning to the UK so soon.

Perhaps your husband could have returned to find work in the interim. Anyway, I'm not going to lecture you as only you know your situation. All the best for the future and I hope the dream comes true for you. And everyone else for that matter.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:26 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I know some people like to keep hold of their property in the UK as a safety net, just in case they don't like it when they get here and then have somewhere to return to. Obviously this depends on your financial circumstances and how you view your move here, but I tend to think that it also makes it too easy to just give up and go back home. I wonder how you can really make this your new life with bits of it left on the other side of the world.huh:

That aside, I hope it all works out for you and I can't even begin to imagine how devastated I would be to have to leave the mountains

All the Best to you and your family, sure it will all work out in the end if it's meant to be
Old Jan 31st 2012, 3:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Its easier to go back now. Flights are cheap (cheaper than a Greyhound ticket per km traveled) and we can jump on a plane at a days notice.

I have friends who came here in the early 60s, it took them 5 weeks to get to BC by sea and rail. In those days you thought long and hard before throwing in the towel. As others have said the easier it is to take a step back, the more likely we are to not persevere in the face of adversity. However we cannot judge anothers actions, as we don't know the circumstances.

However if open yourself up on an open forum you get a variety of opinions, like it or not.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Its easier to go back now. Flights are cheap (cheaper than a Greyhound ticket per km traveled) and we can jump on a plane at a days notice.

I have friends who came here in the early 60s, it took them 5 weeks to get to BC by sea and rail. In those days you thought long and hard before throwing in the towel. As others have said the easier it is to take a step back, the more likely we are to not persevere in the face of adversity. However we cannot judge anothers actions, as we don't know the circumstances.

However if open yourself up on an open forum you get a variety of opinions, like it or not.
Too true....Auld Yin will be along shortly.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:46 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator

A good friend was born in Germany during the war into a large catholic family. Father was killed in action and in the postwar austerity his mother could not look after all the children and so gave some up to an orphanage.

When he was seventeen the orphanage gave him a ticket to Montreal, the equivalent of about $100 and the name and address of a logging company in BC that was run by a German and was supposedly looking for workers. (They obviously had a good grasp on the size of the country.)

When he got out of the station in Montreal his first thought was "scheisse." His second was, "this is the rest of my life so I had better get on with it." Returning was not an option.

His wife is from Chesterfield and she came over in the early sixties straight out of college. Although she had a teaching job to go to it would have taken her years to save up enough for a return trip. So long that she had married and settled down before a return was a possibility.

I am sure the availability of cheap flights these days makes emigration a very different experience.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
Most people here don't like to commute for a part time job...most people will try to find something local. That becomes a problem when you're desperate to find work, don't restrict yourself to the local malls or whatever is handy, get your cv together, and dish it out. Good luck, It's a nightmare finding work when you've no Canadian Experience....
My wife travels 30kph round trip to Langley (from west Abbotsford) for her current $10 per hour part-time job. Sure sometimes she is able to get a lift in with us (myself and our neighbour also work full-time in Langley) but when she can't she still makes the commute, sometimes only for 4/5 hours work at $10 per hour.

She got the job within 24 hours of stepping off the plane in Canada.

She has a PhD in Pharmacy and is actually the reason we were able to apply under FSW1 because of her "in demand" skills, which we're starting to realise weren't quite as in demand as we'd hoped!

But my point is with a bit of pride-swallowing there is all kinds of temporary work out there. And as other posters have mentioned there is plenty of evening work to be found in Horton's, McD's etc.

But I think whether you are applying under FSW1, FSW2 or just here on a TWP and not yet applied - there is always going to be financial uncertainty, especially at the beginning.

This is the reason CIC insist on a level of settlement funding to be available, net of debts, prior to applying under FSW1. And to be honest I wish they would insist on at least SOME level of funding for FSW2, to avoid exactly these kind of situations.

I feel sympathetic towards the OP and hope that she can find a way to stay, with the large costs of coming here and the larger costs of returning again.

One thing I am struggling to understand. Here the OP's husband has a job, albeit with irregular hours which are less than desirable. But back in the UK neither of them have a job at all? Even without figuring in the costs of relocating back again, I can't see how they will be better off going back to the UK with no job to go back to?

As I said I am unsure if I am replying a bit late but I would strongly urge the OP to try to stay if possible, if it means taking an evening job, selling assets and pulling the belt in tight to survive for a month or two until her husband's work picks up.

Wayne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.