Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

7 weeks and headed home :***(

7 weeks and headed home :***(

Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 weeks and headed home :***(

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Frankly the debts are tied in the house, once we sell that next year we pay the lot off, we have a loose plan that hubby can come back in a few months, and we will follow a few months after. Don't know how I would cope without him to be honest because our sons autism is trying and with the other two kids as well I really rely on his support.
But our long term goal is Canada. Heck the family will never forgive us if we leave again but it's our lives!
But yeah, total back up plan in place before I consider that plane again!
I hate to throw another spanner in the works, but if you are thinking Canada in the long term, then you are talking about applying for residency at some point (I assume under PNP or FSW cat 2).

Since your son has autism have you investigated the medical implications of applying for residency with this condition? There are perhaps similar cases on this forum to guide you, but I would hate for you to go through this massive expense and hassle again at a later date if further down the line residency may not be granted because of this? Even if it is acceptable you may have to show funding for an excessive strain CIC believe your son's condition may pose on their healthcare system.

Like I said I don't want to throw a spanner in the works of an already very unfortunate situation, but it may be something to consider sooner rather than later.

Anyway I do hope it works out.
Wayne.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
My wife travels 30kph round trip to Langley (from west Abbotsford)
That would take her a while. Glad she's not in front of me when I am going to Langley!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aviator
That would take her a while. Glad she's not in front of me when I am going to Langley!
Sorry for the typo - 30kph was meant to say 30km!
Wayne.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:01 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

She isn't flying
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
Really hope this doesn't too disingenuous, but for the sake of holding out for a couple of months until the work picks up (which it will), your'e forking out to move back to the Uk and already thinking of moving back to Canada! I know things get tough when your thrown a curve ball but I'm struggling to see the the economic sense in this!! Obviously you know the full picture but I think a few years down the line you might look back on this with regret?!
Hope it goes well for you anyway....good luck x.
+1
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In reverse order:

- how much has the cost of an airline ticket from say, Bombay to Toronto, risen relative to inflation in the past thirty years? I suggest that it hasn't, that this is the major cost in emigrating and that the cost of getting to Canada is not a factor for most immigrants. In fact, I doubt it's ever been a factor for any immigrant.

- Canada doesn't have any such requirement for the more popular immigrant classes, those considerations do apply to some posters here but that's a minority of immigrants overall and perhaps even a minority of posters.
What percentage of the total cost would be spent on flights?

Do you think it's become easier and relatively less expensive over the years to get into countries like the US, Canada, Australia, etc.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 1st 2012 at 1:42 am.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
What percentage of the total cost would be spent on flights?

Do you think it's become easier and relatively less expensive over the years to get into countries like the US, Canada, Australia, etc.
For a poor person I'd think the flights represent about half the cost of emigrating to Canada, the rest of it being government fees. For us they were about 90% and the higher air fare to get to Australia eliminated that as an option, but I had a job so the employer picked up the visa costs.

Obviously it's more difficult and expensive to get into Australia now then it was as one used to get free passage on a convict ship. I suppose in the case of the US and Canada the barriers to entry have changed, at one time there was little red tape but a high chance of dying from disease or starvation in transit. Now one is more likely to arrive safely but ethnicity is an issue on arrival, it'd be better to be Irish than English and better yet to be from the Lebanon. All in all, it's still easy to get in to Canada or the US but you need to have the right background and that background is different than it once was.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
All in all, it's still easy to get in to Canada or the US but you need to have the right background and that background is different than it once was.
Right and that was my point - it's easy for far fewer people than it used to be and so poverty is not as strongly linked to immigration as it once was. Escaping poverty is no longer a good enough reason to get into countries like Canada and the US. It used to be sufficient to scrape together enough to get on a boat and arrive with not much more than the clothes on your back, a sense of adventure and a strong work ethic. If you could arrive you were basically in - unless you had really serious health problems.

Now it's much harder because much more is expected of potential immigrants in terms of finances, health, skills, education, etc. These words aren't as applicable as they once were:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:28 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Right and that was my point - it's easy for far fewer people than it used to be and so poverty is not as strongly linked to immigration as it once was. Escaping poverty is no longer a good enough reason to get into countries like Canada and the US. It used to be sufficient to scrape together enough to get on a boat and arrive with not much more than the clothes on your back, a sense of adventure and a strong work ethic. If you could arrive you were basically in - unless you had really serious health problems.

Now it's much harder because much more is expected of potential immigrants in terms of finances, health, skills, education, etc. These words aren't as applicable as they once were:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
We have enough down and outs to support, send us the ones who want to work and contribute to society.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We have enough down and outs to support, send us the ones who want to work and contribute to society.
I'll send Zhanna over, sharpish.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:24 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness dh was desperate to work, the boss lied about availability of hours, if he had told us before we left to wait till march we would have made it.

Back in the uk and dh has 5 job offers on the table within 4 days, one of which is comparable money to when we left in December. We are dossing at my mums house which is not ideal. Trying to get cash together to rent (plus another month for deposit plus about £500 for "admin" and checks!)

Kids happy to be back in their old schools. Happy to see old friends etc, we all miss Canada, and hope to go back one day but for now we are making it work here.

One option still on the table is to get dh a FIFO job in prince George, with guaranteed hours at union rates, but he'd be away and we hate being apart (I'm needy lol) I'd stay in uk with kids, which was the one thing we said we didn't want, but it would solve very quickly the debt issues and give us a chance to save for "Canada 2.0" meanwhile enjoying cheese and gravy (not together!) but missing real meat! (this rubbish is bland and ropey but it's what we can afford at asda!) I miss pork butt! Lol

Paid off the bills in Canada properly so no issues if we do go back, just need to catch up with the bills here and thank god my mother hadnt had time to get rid of all of our furniture yet!

Oh and I made a profit of £300 on the ring, which was beautiful, but is now someone's engagement ring, so at least it will be worn and loved. And my home insurance is cheaper not insuring all that jewellery... Glass half full kind of girl, or trying to be!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by __TJ__
In fairness dh was desperate to work, the boss lied about availability of hours, if he had told us before we left to wait till march we would have made it.

Back in the uk and dh has 5 job offers on the table within 4 days, one of which is comparable money to when we left in December. We are dossing at my mums house which is not ideal. Trying to get cash together to rent (plus another month for deposit plus about £500 for "admin" and checks!)

Kids happy to be back in their old schools. Happy to see old friends etc, we all miss Canada, and hope to go back one day but for now we are making it work here.

One option still on the table is to get dh a FIFO job in prince George, with guaranteed hours at union rates, but he'd be away and we hate being apart (I'm needy lol) I'd stay in uk with kids, which was the one thing we said we didn't want, but it would solve very quickly the debt issues and give us a chance to save for "Canada 2.0" meanwhile enjoying cheese and gravy (not together!) but missing real meat! (this rubbish is bland and ropey but it's what we can afford at asda!) I miss pork butt! Lol

Paid off the bills in Canada properly so no issues if we do go back, just need to catch up with the bills here and thank god my mother hadnt had time to get rid of all of our furniture yet!

Oh and I made a profit of £300 on the ring, which was beautiful, but is now someone's engagement ring, so at least it will be worn and loved. And my home insurance is cheaper not insuring all that jewellery... Glass half full kind of girl, or trying to be!
Nice to hear you've settled back in quickly, especially the kids! I'm still pretty baffled as to how it didn't cost less to stick it our for a few weeks....it's nearly March now!!! Short-term uncertainty coupled with homesickness perhaps?!
Apologies if that sounds condescending...its not...its just difficult to fathom that you we're there, came back and want to go back again! Anyway, best of luck. We hope to be there in the spring, the sooner the better!!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:24 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey TJ, what's the deal with the dog, is it in jail somewhere for a few months?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
I'm still pretty baffled as to how it didn't cost less to stick it our for a few weeks....
Someone else paid for the trip back if Im not mistaken, as a last resort.

Sounds like things are falling into place in the UK, at least there is work there... I hope it all works out in the long term.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:49 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Someone else paid for the trip back if Im not mistaken, as a last resort.
That's ace. "I'll pay for your flights back and support your living arrangements once you arrive, but you can piss off if you think i'm paying for a months rent in Canada".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.