Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom. Heading down the pan?

Zoom. Heading down the pan?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:22 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Zoom. Heading down the pan?

Looks like it according to today's Ottawa Citizen.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom. Heading down the pan?

I predicted this a while ago, a shame though.

I would no way buy tickets months in advance with them.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Doesn't sound good! Full article at http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/index.html
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:08 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

My mother and sister are due to fly out to Toronto on Zoom on Monday.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
My mother and sister are due to fly out to Toronto on Zoom on Monday.
Ooops.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Ha,
seems like this is an omen for me with regards to relocating to NS. Our flights are for the 9th of Oct from Glasgow to Halifax (which have already been changed) ,i wont hold my breath:curse:
Arty (the one who is not meant to leave)
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning to go beginning of November for around a month hopefully and wasn't going to book anything until the end of the month luckily. Was planning to go Zoom if they had no problems by then, looking at BA and it is only a few hundred dollars more for the days I want, but Heathrow is always the problem. Air Transat just isn't convenient with days, my husband has 5 days holiday and we want to get the most out of it eg. flying on a Friday night and then flying back the following Saturday.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by babsi
I'm planning to go beginning of November for around a month hopefully and wasn't going to book anything until the end of the month luckily. Was planning to go Zoom if they had no problems by then, looking at BA and it is only a few hundred dollars more for the days I want, but Heathrow is always the problem. Air Transat just isn't convenient with days, my husband has 5 days holiday and we want to get the most out of it eg. flying on a Friday night and then flying back the following Saturday.
Where are you going when you get to the UK?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Portsmouth, with a 2 and a half year old with no car. Gatwick is a case of just getting on the train and you are there.

Isn't it a coach to Woking (do you need a car seat?) and then a train from there?

I just couldn't manage going to central with luggage on top and probably no lifts.

btw we ruled a taxi out this is what we have done previous times when we went to Chichester instead but there is no way on this earth he would sit still that amount of time even if there were breaks.

Last edited by babsi; Aug 28th 2008 at 12:48 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:04 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines have survived worse. Globespan came through a similar situation when leasing from Iceland air and having the ETOPs licence removed due to safety concerns
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Portsmouth, with a 2 and a half year old with no car. Gatwick is a case of just getting on the train and you are there.

Isn't it a coach to Woking (do you need a car seat?) and then a train from there?

I just couldn't manage going to central with luggage on top and probably no lifts.

btw we ruled a taxi out this is what we have done previous times when we went to Chichester instead but there is no way on this earth he would sit still that amount of time even if there were breaks.
I've used the railair link Heathrow-Woking in the past - although this was some years ago and I didn't have kids at the time, I do recall other young children on the coach who weren't in child seats. Mind you, that was before coaches were routinely fitted with seatbelts, so there wouldn't have been anything to attach the seat to anyway...

You've got me intrigued now! This is from a consultation paper on the Dept of Transport's website on implementing an EU directive on seat restraints in buses and coaches:
Child seats and boosters on buses and coaches
The question of child seats and boosters on buses and coaches can be disposed of simply. The terms of the Directive require that child seats must be used if available - they are then a ‘safety system provided’. The only case where a child seat must be used in a bus or coach is for a child under 3 years old in a front seat; otherwise, any child must travel in a rear seat. A typical car child seat is not always suitable for a typical bus or coach seat - which is narrower and less deep. A child seat is not available if it cannot be fitted suitably. As a general rule, therefore, all children aged 3 years and above on buses and coaches would be required to use the belts provided, which are sometimes adjustable. The bus or coach operator is not required to provide suitable child seats. If a baby/child seat is not available for those under 3 years, they may travel unrestrained (because the only alternative, the adult belt, may not be suitable for such small children). These have been the requirements for minibuses since 1993.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wouldn't feel comfortable on a coach with no restraint. If Kai was in a pushchair on a normal bus then that is fine. For me it is too risky. The only option seems to be going into central London
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I predicted this a while ago, a shame though.

I would no way buy tickets months in advance with them.
I missed your prediction, what made you think that?? I only ask as I recommended that a friend use them, shes flying to Gatwick in two weeks time, so I hope she isnt stranded. I can see a whole load of guilt and blame descending onto my shoulders and wonder if theres something obvious I missed about Zoom

What happens if you are booked with them and they go under? Say you didnt have insurance? Are you covered if you booked on a credit card?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I missed your prediction, what made you think that?? I only ask as I recommended that a friend use them, shes flying to Gatwick in two weeks time, so I hope she isnt stranded. I can see a whole load of guilt and blame descending onto my shoulders and wonder if theres something obvious I missed about Zoom

What happens if you are booked with them and they go under? Say you didnt have insurance? Are you covered if you booked on a credit card?
When they started cancelling more and more flights months ago I started to think they wouldn't be around too much longer and said that I wouldn't buy my ticket so far in advance with them, now I won't buy a ticket and am looking at other airlines. I am even starting to think about flying via the US as Heathrow is such a pain for me. I think it will end up the same way as Canada 3000.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

When they started cancelling more and more flights months ago I started to think they wouldn't be around too much longer and said that I wouldn't buy my ticket so far in advance with them, now I won't buy a ticket and am looking at other airlines. I am even starting to think about flying via the US as Heathrow is such a pain for me. I think it will end up the same way as Canada 3000.
So do you just lose your ticket/money and have to buy a new one with another airline?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.