Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom. Heading down the pan?

Zoom. Heading down the pan?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Zoom. Heading down the pan?

Originally Posted by babsi
I wouldn't feel comfortable on a coach with no restraint. If Kai was in a pushchair on a normal bus then that is fine. For me it is too risky. The only option seems to be going into central London
There is another option to consider. I use it regularly for onward travel to Brighton. I take a local bus from Heathrow to Feltham Station (buses every ten minutes; journey time about 20 minutes on a good day). From there, trains run very regularly into Clapham Junction (not a long trip), from where you can get to Portsmouth very easily.

I would add a few caveats.

Firstly, I travel light and without kids. Secondly, the trip can be rather slower if you do it during the morning rush hour. Thirdly, doing at weekends can be tricky. You'd need to check train timetables and any plans for engineering works.

If you're arriving mid-morning Monday through Friday (maybe Saturday), you may well find this the fastest, easiest and cheapest option.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
So do you just lose your ticket/money and have to buy a new one with another airline?
I'm not sure to be 100% but it if you do get it back you will probably have to wait a while. For us it would be too much hassle to take the risk as my husband can only get away for a week and if it is cancelled then it just messes up everything.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ok , my earlier post may have been a tad optimistic. Looks like the company they lease at least two of the planes from has called them in due to non payment. Currently there is one plane on the tarmac at Calgary with the reg number painted over and one in glasgow that has been physcially blocked in by a snow plough

I don't know if they lease all the aircraft from the same company but I would like to state categoriaclly and for the record that in no way was this orcestrated by myself in order to prevent my Mother in law from visiting
Old Aug 28th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
There is another option to consider. I use it regularly for onward travel to Brighton. I take a local bus from Heathrow to Feltham Station (buses every ten minutes; journey time about 20 minutes on a good day). From there, trains run very regularly into Clapham Junction (not a long trip), from where you can get to Portsmouth very easily.

Firstly, I travel light and without kids. Secondly, the trip can be rather slower if you do it during the morning rush hour. Thirdly, doing at weekends can be tricky. You'd need to check train timetables and any plans for engineering works.

If you're arriving mid-morning Monday through Friday (maybe Saturday), you may well find this the fastest, easiest and cheapest option.
Thanks, we will probably be arriving on a Wednesday, it doesn't sound too bad only the bus trip is the extra. Hopefully I have someone to meet me to help me out.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:04 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I am aware if you airline goes bust then you join a long liost of creditors in trying to get your money back. This is why you should ALWAYS pay by credit card , as they then assume joint liability for the money you are owed.

Obviously it is a lot easier to get your money back from visa than a bankrupt company.

Then you will need to make your own alternative arrangments. Travel insurance may refund you the money you initially paid out but won't cough up for the extra you may have to pay to fly with an alternative airline.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:04 pm

Thanks, we will probably be arriving on a Wednesday, it doesn't sound too bad only the bus trip is the extra. Hopefully I have someone to meet me to help me out.
It isn't really an extra. Unless you take a taxi (horribly expensive) or a coach from Heathrow to Portsmouth, any option will involve a change or two. The local bus is operated primarily to link Heathrow to Feltham. It works well.

A lot probably depends of what airline you use. The central bus station is readily accessible from terminals 1, 2 and 3. I don't know the situation regarding 4 and 5.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Good call from Souv - I hadn't thought of Feltham/Clapham Jct. When I lived in Chiswick I used to use that route regularly (our flat was round the corner from Chiswick station, a direct line from Feltham); the bus is a regular city bus (number 285) so you'd be able to keep Kai in the stroller. It's cheaper than railair too - regular TfL fares, so 90p if you have an Oyster card lying around somewhere or 2 quid for cash.

The bus leaves from the central bus station by T1/2/3. If you're arriving in T4 there's a free shuttle bus to Hatton Cross bus station, where the 285 stops en route. Don't know about T5, though - that's after my time!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:12 pm
wannabecalgarian

xxTinksxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone who is looking to book flights looked at Canadian Affair?

Last week Wednesday, I booked a flight with them to Calgary and received my travel documents on Saturday. It costs me approx £350.00.

I will report back on the flight when I come back
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

It isn't really an extra. Unless you take a taxi (horribly expensive) or a coach from Heathrow to Portsmouth, any option will involve a change or two. The local bus is operated primarily to link Heathrow to Feltham. It works well.

A lot probably depends of what airline you use. The central bus station is readily accessible from terminals 1, 2 and 3. I don't know the situation regarding 4 and 5.
I am just thinking this is a small part of the journey to go there and focus on that as I know it will be a hassle. Taxi's aren't that expensive, from Heathrow to Chichester it works out a little cheaper than the train/bus if you pre-book it in advance.

We'll probably go BA, it seems cheaper than AC atm, we'll see.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Good call from Souv - I hadn't thought of Feltham/Clapham Jct. When I lived in Chiswick I used to use that route regularly (our flat was round the corner from Chiswick station, a direct line from Feltham); the bus is a regular city bus (number 285) so you'd be able to keep Kai in the stroller. It's cheaper than railair too - regular TfL fares, so 90p if you have an Oyster card lying around somewhere or 2 quid for cash.

The bus leaves from the central bus station by T1/2/3. If you're arriving in T4 there's a free shuttle bus to Hatton Cross bus station, where the 285 stops en route. Don't know about T5, though - that's after my time!
I picked up on that route in the early 1990s. I was living close to CJ at the time. It was by far the quickest way to get home. Not too good on Sundays, though.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the direct national express bus from Heathrow to Portsmouth, takes about 2 hours, non-stop. It's easy to get to the bus station from terminal 3, just up the lift, which is big enough for trolleys, and you don't go into central London. Costs about 14 GBP each way. They do have seat belts on all the seats, if that would help with your little one. They stop at the continental ferry port or The Hard.

Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
As far as I am aware if you airline goes bust then you join a long liost of creditors in trying to get your money back. This is why you should ALWAYS pay by credit card , as they then assume joint liability for the money you are owed.

Obviously it is a lot easier to get your money back from visa than a bankrupt company.

Then you will need to make your own alternative arrangments. Travel insurance may refund you the money you initially paid out but won't cough up for the extra you may have to pay to fly with an alternative airline.
Thanks Zoe, lets hope my friend doesnt get stranded or I will be guilty by association. I wonder if I warn her or not, give her something to worry about apart from fear of flying....
Old Aug 28th 2008, 2:41 pm
Professional Cat herder

again willing to be orrected but if the airline is ATOL bonded and you are left stranded , then ATOL is obliged to get you home
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by val50
I use the direct national express bus from Heathrow to Portsmouth, takes about 2 hours, non-stop. It's easy to get to the bus station from terminal 3, just up the lift, which is big enough for trolleys, and you don't go into central London. Costs about 14 GBP each way. They do have seat belts on all the seats, if that would help with your little one. They stop at the continental ferry port or The Hard.
I nearly always use National Express on the return journey from Brighton. Two hours, about 20 quid and one of the stops is pretty much outside my mum's front door.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:26 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the BBC version:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7586083.stm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.