Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your accent...

Your accent...

Old May 27th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
People can never understand when I say 8, I've actually had to say the number after 7 for people to finally get it (It really didn't help when I lived on the 8th floor of an apartment building.)
When you say the #8 does it rhyme with 'gate' and it is really stretched out. Do you also say you are going for a 'wee dander'.
Old May 27th 2008, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Gazruss is an unknown quantity at this point

don't know if my strong welsh accent helps or hinders me over here. In work it doesn't really matter as it's Markham and they are mostly oriental anyway. In social settings it's usually an ice breaker....in the US the conversation usually goes" What accent is that...I See Welsh......What part of Welsh are you from...Did you live near Diana".......

On the flip side i was surprised when visiting a Canadian friend early in my time here who called her kids in to watch "muffin the mule" on kids TV, Told her that "muffing" the mule was a criminal offense in the UK
Old May 27th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
When you say the #8 does it rhyme with 'gate' and it is really stretched out. Do you also say you are going for a 'wee dander'.
I think you're right about the 8 thing but I've never said I'm going for "wee dander".
Old May 30th 2008, 2:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gentlemen.....

Someone shared these Dilbert cartoons with me yesterday. I thought they might be of interest re. this thread!

Old May 30th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the undutchables
I'm originally from West Lothian, Scotland and have a broad Edinburgh/ east coast accent ( think Sean Connery!) although my family and friends have said my accent has softened being away from home. Here in Holland most people, Dutch and English, think I'm Irish!

It will be interesting to see what the Canadians make of it.
where in West Lothian are you from?
Old May 31st 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

drifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura about

Took me 3 tries last night to order 'water' in a quiet restaurant. My canadian colleagues had to rescue me. Next time I'll try to get some 'wada' instead - tastes the same.
Old May 31st 2008, 1:58 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drifter
Took me 3 tries last night to order 'water' in a quiet restaurant. My canadian colleagues had to rescue me. Next time I'll try to get some 'wada' instead - tastes the same.
My daughter has taken to saying "turdle" instead of turtle..! She is slowly turning Canadian!
Old May 31st 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bazzz
Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as far as I can tell, but then it seems to be a pretty common accent here. It's been suggested that if I were single it'd probably help me get laid more easily.
good answer!!
Old May 31st 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

i was chatting to a waitress in a small bar about 2 weeks ago! she said she loved my accent! so i asked her if she could speak im my accent! to see how different i sounded from her west cost BC accent! She started speaking back to me i started laughing! she sounded like the queen herself! not a bad attempt apart from the fact i was brought up in Hull!
Old May 31st 2008, 4:20 am

Lozza2302 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Your accent...

we get quite a few comments regarding our accents, OH has slight yorkshire twang to him, i'm a cockney, usually all good but loads of confusion when the slang comes out, which can be amusing.
Old May 31st 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

[QUOTE=bananahammock;6389553]I work with special needs kids & sound like Vicky Pollard .

I work with a group of young adults with disabilities, and unfortunatly, some of the members seem to find the word "rubbish" hysterical. If only I had realised when I started work, I would have tried harder to use the word "garbage." I now have to listen to everything being called rubbish about a hundred times a day....Although, I now have managed to get them to use it only on things that are negative.
One of the autistic members calls me "Sally-James-Bond" and I assume that this is because of my accent.
Another member also believes that I must know Harry Potter personally....Makes a change from The Queen!
It's a great place to work, and the members seem to find my accent very amusing, so I feel that in my job, it definately has a positive benefit.....laughter!
Old May 31st 2008, 11:38 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Gentlemen.....

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Someone shared these Dilbert cartoons with me yesterday. I thought they might be of interest re. this thread!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...at/dilbert.jpg

Atlantic Xpat - they are soo funny!
Old May 31st 2008, 11:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by drifter
I can't get over that!!!1
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by allicat001
where in West Lothian are you from?
I'm a Bathgate Bairn, born and bred.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the undutchables
I'm a Bathgate Bairn, born and bred.
I am from Ireland. When i have been in other parts of the world i find people getting me to repeat things so they can hear my accent. We Irish are massive in America for sure does this stretch to Canada?

Enjoy your day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.