Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your accent...

Your accent...

Old May 24th 2008, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your accent...

Would be interested to hear if anyone feels their English accent has helped/hindered their job/career prospects whilst in Canada.

During the interview, the company who offered me the job said I'd have instant credibility because of my accent.
Thought it was a bit of a strange thing to say, seeing as I have a typical Mancunian accent, but would was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences.....
Old May 24th 2008, 5:19 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your accent...

I find when I'm talking to collegues in Canada/US that they go deadly quiet when I'm talking - I've not worked out yet if that's because they haven't got a scooby doo what I'm saying or they think I'm some kind of authority on matters!
Old May 24th 2008, 5:26 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by jericho
Would be interested to hear if anyone feels their English accent has helped/hindered their job/career prospects whilst in Canada.

During the interview, the company who offered me the job said I'd have instant credibility because of my accent.
Thought it was a bit of a strange thing to say, seeing as I have a typical Mancunian accent, but would was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences.....
Hi guys

This is such an interesting topic! I was discussing a similar type of thing the other day on another thread....

Sadly I have only been to visit Canada so far but I found the Canadians were fascinated with my accent I'm from Yorkshire but my accent is fairly neutral. A lot of the people I met completely changed their attitude towards me and my hubby as soon as we started talking
Old May 24th 2008, 5:38 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

I'm not sure whether my accent will help me or hinder me with living in Canada. I've got a Home Counties, upper-middle class accent, despite having been born and bred in deepest Lancashire. Whenever I hear myself talking I always think of 1930s Pathé News, frightfully proper, don't you know? I guess some people will be impressed by my accent, but some might just take umbrage, as in, "who does he think he is?"

A couple of people have commented on it, but no one's ever said anything good or bad about it or had a discernable positive or negative reaction to it.

My Canadian wife loves my accent, so it's definitely in the plus column!
Old May 24th 2008, 5:52 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as far as I can tell, but then it seems to be a pretty common accent here. It's been suggested that if I were single it'd probably help me get laid more easily.
Old May 24th 2008, 5:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by bazzz
Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as far as I can tell, but then it seems to be a pretty common accent here. It's been suggested that if I were single it'd probably help me get laid more easily.
Old May 24th 2008, 6:31 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho

I work with special needs kids & sound like Vicky Pollard .

Last year I worked with a boy with Autism, to build his social skills I would send him around the school with messages for other staff ....... they used to laugh coz he mimmicked me ....... especially 'sorry & hello'

This year I'm doing ESL with a boy from Taiwan ........ we have trouble with 'mall, ball etc poor kid, not only is he learning English, he has one of the Wurzles to teach him.

The adults love it tho' .......... although I can't remember how many times I've been asked if I'm from UK or OZ!!
Old May 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Kids all love my daughter's English accent and sooo want one. She, on the other hand is practising her 'jeez' and can't wait to rid herself of it.

Generally, it seems to be a thumbs up, and a friend's 18 year complains that he is swamped by women because of his accent......apparently he can't cope.........lol

In terms of jobs, wouldn't like to say, although my OH's colleagues say it is a real bonus......
Old May 24th 2008, 6:38 pm
Small fish in a big pond

Matt UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had two interviews in the last few days and both have hinted my accent would be a bonus (??). It's for a relatively high management position and they think I would command authority . If only they knew me!!

Also, one of them said I looked like a government agent in my suit & shades, being 6'4" and shaven headed. Must've scared the bejesus outta them, but I'm gentle really.
Old May 24th 2008, 6:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Talking Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by bananahammock
I work with special needs kids & sound like Vicky Pollard .

Last year I worked with a boy with Autism, to build his social skills I would send him around the school with messages for other staff ....... they used to laugh coz he mimmicked me ....... especially 'sorry & hello'

This year I'm doing ESL with a boy from Taiwan ........ we have trouble with 'mall, ball etc poor kid, not only is he learning English, he has one of the Wurzles to teach him.

The adults love it tho' .......... although I can't remember how many times I've been asked if I'm from UK or OZ!!
bananhammock that's so funny! I love it
Old May 24th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

hi, i feel my accent has really helped me to get to know canadians as they love my accent...i always end up talking to most of the customers i serve everyday and now cos ive been there a while they come in just to here my accent..i also find people ask me where im from...ie south africa, australia even germany or russia (cant figure out where the last 2 come into it). i also sometimes find i dont understand the canadians as some can talk really fast.
Old May 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Matt UK
I've had two interviews in the last few days and both have hinted my accent would be a bonus (??). It's for a relatively high management position and they think I would command authority . If only they knew me!!

Also, one of them said I looked like a government agent in my suit & shades, being 6'4" and shaven headed. Must've scared the bejesus outta them, but I'm gentle really.
Sounds like there's hope for my husband yet then.....
Old May 24th 2008, 6:47 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
It's been suggested that if I were single it'd probably help me get laid more easily.
Was that suggested via the phone?
Old May 24th 2008, 6:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by G77
Was that suggested via the phone?
What are you trying to say? Poor Bazz
Old May 24th 2008, 6:51 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiba
What are you trying to say? Poor Bazz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.