Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your accent...

Your accent...

Old May 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by G77
Old May 24th 2008, 8:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by G77
I've not worked out yet if that's because they haven't got a scooby doo what I'm saying or they think I'm some kind of authority on matters!
I would say the former.
Old May 24th 2008, 8:18 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I would say the former.
Probably right there
Old May 24th 2008, 8:22 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Probably right there
I was an Air Traffic Controller for 30 years.

Once for fun I issued a take off clearance with a thick scouse accent that I knew the instructor (from Blackpool) would understand. The poor student pilot didn't understand a word and thought I was speaking Korean.
Old May 24th 2008, 8:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Once for fun I issued a take off clearance with a thick scouse accent that I knew the instructor (from Blackpool) would understand. The poor student pilot didn't understand a word and thought I was speaking Korean.
Did you then tell him to "calm down, calm down"?
Old May 24th 2008, 8:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Your accent...

Ha ha ha - classic
Old May 24th 2008, 8:48 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Did you then tell him to "calm down, calm down"?
Old May 24th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I think it depends where you are as well. I had a much more positive response to the English accent in smaller Canadian towns where as in the city (Toronto) there is such a wide array of accents due to multi culturalism that prety much everyone you speak to has a different accent and there is much less of a Canadian accent background to stand out against. Workwise I think the fact you are fluent in English and can communicate effectively stands out more than the accent as many othe rimmigrants are speaking English as a second language and so struggle when it comes to verbal communication.
I would not worry about where your accent originates, i.e. Cockney or Scouse or Brummie or posh or not etc. as no one in Canada has any preconceptions of class or status associated with accent. They just know a "British Accent" and struggle to distinguish variations and you are as likely to be asked if you are from Australia or New Zealand etc. I have a fairly nuetral northern coastal accent and I get British, English, Australian, Irish, and some odd variations too. People say they love the "British Accent" which is always amusing as I work with a guy from Glasgow (originally many years ago) and we wonder what a "British Accent" is exactly given we can tell the regional differences easily.
My wife was always astounded that when we visited England I could tell what end of town someone was from by their accent.
It is a documented North American phenomenon though that a "British" accent is seen in a positive light, more in the US where there are less recent ties to the UK like in Canada, and in business especially it is seen as positive due to a lingering respect (whether still valid or not) for the UK educational system and business history. Lots of Brits in charge of US corporations and on their boards and in senior executive positions. I am always surprised where they turn up in the compnay I work for which is out of Texas. I haven't had any overt accent praise like in the original post, but have had no issues either unless you count the few friends at work with persistant (friendly) mockery with lots of "Cup of tea guvnor" and you do get odd looks with certain coloquialisms and turns of phrase but that is more vocabulary and mode of speech than accent.
I find that to be the most important part, not your accent, but how you use various words and phrases to both fit in but also in a more eloquent fashion to sound more authoratitive, especially when talking to folks from the US where a lot seem to be barely literate.
Old May 24th 2008, 9:12 pm
Home Sweet Home

Smile Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by wizzard
I think it depends where you are as well. I had a much more positive response to the English accent in smaller Canadian towns where as in the city (Toronto) there is such a wide array of accents due to multi culturalism that prety much everyone you speak to has a different accent and there is much less of a Canadian accent background to stand out against. Workwise I think the fact you are fluent in English and can communicate effectively stands out more than the accent as many othe rimmigrants are speaking English as a second language and so struggle when it comes to verbal communication.
I would not worry about where your accent originates, i.e. Cockney or Scouse or Brummie or posh or not etc. as no one in Canada has any preconceptions of class or status associated with accent. They just know a "British Accent" and struggle to distinguish variations and you are as likely to be asked if you are from Australia or New Zealand etc. I have a fairly nuetral northern coastal accent and I get British, English, Australian, Irish, and some odd variations too. People say they love the "British Accent" which is always amusing as I work with a guy from Glasgow (originally many years ago) and we wonder what a "British Accent" is exactly given we can tell the regional differences easily.
My wife was always astounded that when we visited England I could tell what end of town someone was from by their accent.
It is a documented North American phenomenon though that a "British" accent is seen in a positive light, more in the US where there are less recent ties to the UK like in Canada, and in business especially it is seen as positive due to a lingering respect (whether still valid or not) for the UK educational system and business history. Lots of Brits in charge of US corporations and on their boards and in senior executive positions. I am always surprised where they turn up in the compnay I work for which is out of Texas. I haven't had any overt accent praise like in the original post, but have had no issues either unless you count the few friends at work with persistant (friendly) mockery with lots of "Cup of tea guvnor" and you do get odd looks with certain coloquialisms and turns of phrase but that is more vocabulary and mode of speech than accent.
I find that to be the most important part, not your accent, but how you use various words and phrases to both fit in but also in a more eloquent fashion to sound more authoratitive, especially when talking to folks from the US where a lot seem to be barely literate.
it just goes to show wizzard - when I was in Toronto as a visitor everywhere I went people kept going on about my accent! They kept asking me to say things like cup of tea As soon as me and hubby started talking they would say 'oh you're English - I just love the English accent it's soooo quaint'
I was a bit embarrassed at first but got used to it after a couple of days
Old May 24th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
It's been suggested that if I were single it'd probably help me get laid more easily.
I'll hope the same is true of my accent then Bazzz!
Old May 24th 2008, 10:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by adele
I'll hope the same is true of my accent then Bazzz!

Congratulations on your Visa Adele!
Old May 24th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba

Congratulations on your Visa Adele!
Cheers! Where in Yorkshire are you Biiba?
Old May 24th 2008, 10:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Cheers! Where in Yorkshire are you Biiba?
I'm in Doncaster! But wish I was somewhere in Nova scotia!!!!!
Old May 24th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiba
I'm in Doncaster! But wish I was somewhere in Nova scotia!!!!!
Naturally! I guess you'll be hoping Donny Rovers kick Leeds' ass tomorrow?!
Old May 24th 2008, 10:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Naturally! I guess you'll be hoping Donny Rovers kick Leeds' ass tomorrow?!
Oh God I'm ashamed to say I'm useless when it comes to football.....I didn't even know they were playing!!!! I'm such a saddo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.