Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your accent...

Your accent...

Old May 24th 2008, 11:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by Biiba
I'm in Doncaster! But wish I was somewhere in Nova scotia!!!!!
Hey my wife's aunt lives in Old Cantley.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Was told my East Yorkshire accent was 'cute' which is not a word I'd use to describe it but there you go.

Hi Biiba, we are just outside Donny, shame on you for not knowing they were at Wembley tomorrow. We've just got back from there after watching our beloved Hull City make it to the Premier League. Mixed emotions now, the closing date for our new house in Barrie, Ontario is due at the same time City will be kicking of their first ever Premier League season.
Old May 25th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

We moved to Calgary two years ago and many people that hear my accent ask if i'm from Australia (I am from Devon!).

I found that my biggest problem of being understood was at a drive through (normally good old Tim Hortons) and speaking to the server via a speaker!! I am often asked to drive on to the window so that I can place my order face to face!

I found that it is not just the accent, but also the difference in language. For instance, trainers (runners), trousers (pants), pullover (sweater), fringe (bangs), full stop (period), boot (trunk), bonnet (hood), etc etc. you do soon get used to this though.

We absolutely love it here and have a fantastic quality of life and good luck to those that are thinking of making the move to this great country.
Old May 25th 2008, 6:22 am
Just Joined

theroyalseh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wallace
We moved to Calgary two years ago and many people that hear my accent ask if i'm from Australia (I am from Devon!).

I found that my biggest problem of being understood was at a drive through (normally good old Tim Hortons) and speaking to the server via a speaker!! I am often asked to drive on to the window so that I can place my order face to face!

I found that it is not just the accent, but also the difference in language. For instance, trainers (runners), trousers (pants), pullover (sweater), fringe (bangs), full stop (period), boot (trunk), bonnet (hood), etc etc. you do soon get used to this though.

We absolutely love it here and have a fantastic quality of life and good luck to those that are thinking of making the move to this great country.

Wallace don't forget Tim Hortons has a language all by itself took me age's to figure out what an EXTRA LARGE DOUBLE DOUBLE was! Dont forget the words for gas (petrol) toonie and loonie LOL

Most people here in Toronto love my English accent - they seem to think I know what Im talking about! If only they knew!

I will make sure I never lose my Reading, Berkshire Accent!
Old May 25th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

I'm originally from West Lothian, Scotland and have a broad Edinburgh/ east coast accent ( think Sean Connery!) although my family and friends have said my accent has softened being away from home. Here in Holland most people, Dutch and English, think I'm Irish!

It will be interesting to see what the Canadians make of it.
Old May 25th 2008, 10:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Hey my wife's aunt lives in Old Cantley.
that's a lovely village!
Old May 25th 2008, 10:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Your accent...

Originally Posted by chriskatie
Was told my East Yorkshire accent was 'cute' which is not a word I'd use to describe it but there you go.

Hi Biiba, we are just outside Donny, shame on you for not knowing they were at Wembley tomorrow. We've just got back from there after watching our beloved Hull City make it to the Premier League. Mixed emotions now, the closing date for our new house in Barrie, Ontario is due at the same time City will be kicking of their first ever Premier League season.
I know I deserve all I get - hubby is shaking his head in disgust as we speak

I have friends in Wiseton and Walkeringham - not too far away from you!

Congratulations on getting into the Premier League!!! Fantastic news on the house too....
Old May 25th 2008, 11:40 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My Received Pronounciation goes down a storm although it can be frustrating to realise that at times people are listening to how I'm saying something rather than what I'm saying. My colleagues also get a kick out of my entirely natural lapse into Newfoundland vernacular at times but in an English accent.

And yes, like Bazzz, I'm sure that if I wasn't happily married, my accent would definately help in getting some action.
Old May 25th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile No, I'm not Australian.....

Originally Posted by bananahammock
This year I'm doing ESL with a boy from Taiwan ........ we have trouble with 'mall, ball etc poor kid, not only is he learning English, he has one of the Wurzles to teach him.

The adults love it tho' .......... although I can't remember how many times I've been asked if I'm from UK or OZ!!
Ha ha, I'm a wurzle too! (I'm from deepest Swindon). I often rant at people who tell me I'm Australian.

As I live in a town that is heavily populated with immigrants from Britain, Holland, Germany, Italy, eastern Europe etc, everyone has an accent. Most of them started arriving in the fifties onwards. None of them seem to have lost their respective accents, so it surprises me when Canadian-born individuals state "oh you'll soon lose that accent". Why?!? I arrived here age 30. I'm a bit long in the tooth to suddenly change. Also, if you live with someone from the same culture (Swindon!) then you'll probably talk the same always.

I have one client from England who left in 1926. She regales me with stories of playing tennis with the bishop when he came for tea (very Brideshead Revisited). She was born in 1910 (still driving and works 2 days a week in a charity shop). She could cut glass with her English accent. It's the most proper form of BBC received pronunciation, before there was even a BBC!

So, it seems that most Canadians delight in telling you that you'll change. I respond by excessively using over-English phrases such as:

"He's just popped out for a fag"
"Blow that for a game of soldiers"
"I'll give you a tinkle"
"You're a bit mutt and jeff"

Sarah
Old May 25th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

giggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nicegiggimickey is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
I find when I'm talking to collegues in Canada/US that they go deadly quiet when I'm talking - I've not worked out yet if that's because they haven't got a scooby doo what I'm saying or they think I'm some kind of authority on matters!
I experience exactly the same thing! I am hoping that the silence at the other end of the line is due to the latter.
Old May 25th 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

theroyalseh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No, I'm not Australian.....

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Ha ha, I'm a wurzle too! (I'm from deepest Swindon). I often rant at people who tell me I'm Australian.

As I live in a town that is heavily populated with immigrants from Britain, Holland, Germany, Italy, eastern Europe etc, everyone has an accent. Most of them started arriving in the fifties onwards. None of them seem to have lost their respective accents, so it surprises me when Canadian-born individuals state "oh you'll soon lose that accent". Why?!? I arrived here age 30. I'm a bit long in the tooth to suddenly change. Also, if you live with someone from the same culture (Swindon!) then you'll probably talk the same always.

I have one client from England who left in 1926. She regales me with stories of playing tennis with the bishop when he came for tea (very Brideshead Revisited). She was born in 1910 (still driving and works 2 days a week in a charity shop). She could cut glass with her English accent. It's the most proper form of BBC received pronunciation, before there was even a BBC!

So, it seems that most Canadians delight in telling you that you'll change. I respond by excessively using over-English phrases such as:

"He's just popped out for a fag"
"Blow that for a game of soldiers"
"I'll give you a tinkle"
"You're a bit mutt and jeff"

Sarah
No Im not South African\Australian or a Kiwi......!

Ive been here 6 years in Toronto - 37 now and still haven't lost my wonderful Queens English...........I use these phrases -

"where is the bog?"
"give me a fag" - last time they sent me down to the gay district in Toronto
"you plonker"
"where is my mobile" - I get sent to a toy shop go and figure!
"I need some Anneka Rice"
Old May 25th 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

drifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bazzz
Hasn't made the slightest bit of difference as far as I can tell, but then it seems to be a pretty common accent here. It's been suggested that if I were single it'd probably help me get laid more easily.
Got to agree with the, erm, fringe benefits *potential* of an english accent.

But, it helps a lot at work as well, especially if you know what you are talking about anyway... Interestingly, you have an excuse for being ignorant of local issues. Being a Brit is a really good ice-breaker, and you can get delicate subjects out of the way by pretending not to realise that they might be delicate.

You can play it the other way, too. As a lost and helpless Brit, though, you have an instant excuse for being late to meetings (who would expect you to know where the room / building / town was?). Shop sales staff go out of their way to help (flirt?) Even airline check in staff suddenly become helpful. Very odd!
Old May 25th 2008, 6:16 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

On my whimsical days, I toy with getting a three-piece suit, bowler hat and umbrella. Just to go the absolute whole hog.

John Steed would have nothing on me, oh no …
Old May 26th 2008, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theroyalseh
Wallace don't forget Tim Hortons has a language all by itself took me age's to figure out what an EXTRA LARGE DOUBLE DOUBLE was! Dont forget the words for gas (petrol) toonie and loonie LOL

Most people here in Toronto love my English accent - they seem to think I know what Im talking about! If only they knew!

I will make sure I never lose my Reading, Berkshire Accent!
I know what you mean about never losing your accent, that is as an adult though. As I said Calgary (well just outside of Calgary in Okotoks) has been home for two years. My eldest son who is 7 years of age now says things like, "thats awesome dude", oh man that sucks" etc etc. It is amazing how quickly children adapt to their new lives in Canada. My kids both compete in baseball two evenings a week and they were looking for parents to help out. Of course I volunteered and suddenly found myself in the position of assistant coachso had to take a crash course in the rules of baseball. I thoroughly enjoy it though
Old May 26th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

My wife lived with an English family when she went to university. They came as retired adults and as far as I could tell, never lost their accent (or gained a Canadian one).

However whenever they went back for a visit, their friends told them how they sounded Canadian.

Something must've rubbed off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.