Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:36 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Nah, you don't get what I'm saying so lets just admit defeat.
I do get what you're trying to say, even though it's not coming out that way.

I'm just biding my time before i head out to the beach in this glorious sunshine.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

This is not some third world country where our lives are at risk every day. The UK is one of the safest places in the world to live, and I think most problems can be resolved without resorting to immigration.

You wouldn't think so, judging by some of the posts that appear on this site!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
As i am sure you are aware there are a group that come on here that have no interest in offering sound advice and simply like to poke the bears through the bars......sad really. That's why i dont bother anymore. only come on here one in while to convince my self that I.m missing nowt.
LOL - how very true!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

People move to Canada for many different reasons. I agree moving here simply because the USA was too hard to get into or Aus is too far away, may not be the best reasons.

Ultimately the reason for the move will be a big factor in the success or otherwise of the emigration. It is those underlying reasons that get you through the tough times.

However some people, act with the best motives, do the proper research and for one of many reasons Canada just does not work out for them. As a previous poster said, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I would hope the forum is not just for positive posts, its for people to share their experiences, be they good or bad.

PS I would rather be miserable in Birmingham than in Canada. At least then I would have my support network of good core friends.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:57 pm
Dreaming of Whitby,ON

joopychools is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of you seem to think I'm having a moan about the waiting times. That was just a side note, don't get too hung up on that part, lol.

I'm happy to wait the couple of years like everyone else, plenty to be doing in the meantime.

It's interesting that some of the folk who have jumped on this post, are the same one's that like to slag off Canada at every opportunity, or give useless and sarcastic replies to new folk innocently looking for advice.

I really have no interest in your petty remarks or insular views. If your main goal in life is to upset people, then I feel sad for you

Aaaaaawwwww Dave! I think I might just be a little bit in love with you! You are spot on when you say some people on here are negative (that's putting it politely!) and their names soon become familiar. It's one of the reasons I rarely come on anymore I also like your point in your original post about it being hard living here while your heart is elsewhere...

Thanks for keeping in real Dave and good luck with your plans.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 10:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joopychools
Aaaaaawwwww Dave! I think I might just be a little bit in love with you! You are spot on when you say some people on here are negative (that's putting it politely!) and their names soon become familiar. It's one of the reasons I rarely come on anymore I also like your point in your original post about it being hard living here while your heart is elsewhere...

Some of us have a more measured view of Canada by virtue of actually living here. If you have any real questions I'd be happy, given my experiences, to answer them, if you want uncritical laudatory affirmation then you're out of luck.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 10:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

In addition, on what conceivable grounds would you consider Whitby ON preferable to Whitby UK?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 10:25 pm
Dreaming of Whitby,ON

joopychools is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
In addition, on what conceivable grounds would you consider Whitby ON preferable to Whitby UK?

Oh how predictable...
(rolls eyes)
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:02 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Some of us have a more measured view of Canada by virtue of actually living here. If you have any real questions I'd be happy, given my experiences, to answer them, if you want uncritical laudatory affirmation then you're out of luck.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's because of people like you two that I feel I can never post on here.

The thought of some one having a bad day in Canada simply disgusts me.

It just cannot happen and I just don't understand where you get off thinking and suggesting otherwise.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Ok I have to ask, what is a "muscle car"? I live here, I could be seeing them on a daily basis, if only I know what they were.
This type of thing!
Attached Thumbnails Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?-2011_0820tissueboxes0018.jpg  
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how predictable...
(rolls eyes)
No, I'm serious. All you have to say is that either yourself or your partner (if you have one) have landed employment in Whitby ON, which is sufficiently lucrative to attract you to a tedious location in Canada rather than a charming seaside resort in (I think) Yorkshire.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

I didn't actually emigrate voluntarily. But I ended up finding an extremely good job in Canada, and will stick around because of it - although I most certainly did not emigrate to escape. I absolutely adore the old homeland!

Last edited by ergyngfeld; Dec 13th 2011 at 1:13 am.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
As luck would have it there are lots of posters on BE with a "measured view of Canada by virtue of actually living here" who are willing to give advice, constructive criticism etc in a friendly sometimes humourous manner. Not just the usual suspects!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 6:12 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest that those who you think are slating Canada, are the ones who have been here a while and are just pointing out that it has it's faults.

You've been in the UK presumably all your life, and like a stale relationship you want out.

Canada offers itself then to be the tall dark (in this case bright white) stranger to which you would like to have a relationship.

You might fall head over heels in love and make a long term or even permanent life here - but like any marriage there are always things that you don't agree with.

To Canadians and long term expats, Canada is just another place to live and it really can be ok to not agree with everything it has to offer.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

What a fun read.

Ok, so here's my 2 pence/cents worth:

If you want to move over because you love the great outdoors, then that's a valid reason.
If you want to move over because you hate the hoodies that seem to hang around on every street corner, then that's a valid reason.
If you want to move over because you dream of afternoons spent eating timbits and drinking coffee, and a quick browse round Canadian Tire on the way home, then that's also a valid reason.

They are all valid reasons because a valid reason is not defined by what others think, it's about the individual.

The people who come back with their tail between their legs, and who clogged up the immigration queue for a while had every right to do so. The fact they came back is irrelevant to the immigration process.

People do come back hating it, but don't be too quick to judge. No amount of research can prepare you 100% for a life in Canada. There are simply going to be things that piss you off and impact on your life in a negative way. Anyone who thinks otherwise is simply being naive. Who knows what you may discover 3 days, 3 months, or 3 years into your new life? For some people the next negative thing they discover may tip the balance and outweigh the positive. After a while that can lead to you hating the place and moving back.

To the OP: I would say don't judge others too fast as one day you may find yourself on a flight back to the UK or somewhere else because you hate Canada. Your obvious response will be "Rubbish!" (or a similar sentiment), but I can't imagine many people move to Canada after going through the PR process thinking they're going to hate it. It's something that happens when they're there. Enough straws will break the back of any Camel, and there may be plenty of negatives out there waiting for you that you're simply unaware of.

Enjoy your time in the UK, and if you do manage to get PR and move out to Canada, then I wish you every success, just like I would to anyone moving out there to escape hoodies on street corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.