Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:47 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Heh! I know that I2C has seen a proper muscle car but I don't know if she'd remember. We often pass a garage that has some interesting cars for sale, currently there's an MGB, a 60s Mustang and an AC Cobra replica (I assume replica). One day there was a rally of interesting cars at the garage and I pulled in, there was the usual mixture of old pick ups, things with fins and Morris Minors.

Away in a corner there was a grey Chrysler 300M with air suspension, the sort an LA gangster would use to make it hop and down at the traffic lights. We looked at it, bemused. Big saloons are a specific taste, one lost on us. Nice upholstery though, I know some posters value that.
My BIL has a replica Cobra. He built himself. It's a brute. Nine litres and 650 bhp. I believe the 0-60 to be just over 3 seconds. Not terribly green. His 50km commute to work is cheaper by taxi.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
My BIL has a replica Cobra. He built himself. It's a brute. Nine litres and 650 bhp. I believe the 0-60 to be just over 3 seconds. Not terribly green. His 50km commute to work is cheaper by taxi.
One of my neighbours in Leslieville had one. It had side pipes. In the end he got rid of it because women couldn't get into it without melting their tights (men too, I suppose) so it wasn't magneting the way he'd hoped.

I can't see wanting a replica anything and I can't imagine affording a real one. They do have a certain charm though, any convertible being better than any hard top.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Large engine saloon cars for guys with small penises.
I assume we are still talking cars and not the other
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
One of my neighbours in Leslieville had one. It had side pipes. In the end he got rid of it because women couldn't get into it without melting their tights (men too, I suppose) so it wasn't magneting the way he'd hoped.

I can't see wanting a replica anything and I can't imagine affording a real one. They do have a certain charm though, any convertible being better than any hard top.
I'm not a car buff, as I'm sure you know, but that thing is quite the beast. His teenage daughter rather likes it when he picks her up from school in it.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
We want to move BECAUSE of the differences.
Yes I have to admit I do get annoyed with people talking about pubs and soccer and TV. Not much of a pub person, and I hate soccer and the TV here is better because I like what is on. Canada is culturally inbetween the UK and the US imo, which is probably where I am in my general thinking.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Muscle cars, depite popular belief, were not name as such because of their power or speed. It was because the original big engined, full sized cars had no power steering. In order to drive one with any style, you really had to work out, lol.

What counts then as a muscle car has been filtered down through the years, but in my eyes, it's roughly any North American built car, produced from about 1960 to 1980, with a big engine and some sort of Nascar racing heritage would fit the bill.

Here are some of my favourites..

1971 Hemi Cuda

1965 GTO

1968 Challenger

1970 Chevelle

1969 Charger

1968 Camaro

Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I was reffering to the folk who have moved over for the wrong reasons, so don't apply to me
Where did I say on my OP I wanted to move over...because the UK has gone to the dogs
I thought i had a bad memory

I have not moved yet, but intend to, and here's why...

...every day I see another reason that I'd rather live somewhere else.

I'll give you some recent examples.

I walk my dog in a nice recently landcaped area of what used to be barren wasteland. The local council has spent hundreds of thousands on making it a pleasant safe place to be for young families.

However, it is seldom used for the purpose it was built. Every other day I will see something the local neds have detroyed or defaced.

There was a nice wooded fence built around a bridge to prevent kids from falling in the river.... the neds broke it up and used the wood for a camp fire....

at least once a week someone will have dumped a fridge or a couch along the path, because they just can't be bothered taking it a mile up the road to the dump, which would cost them nothing by the way......

..yesterday I doscovered someone had dragged a couple of bags of household waste onto the path and set them on fire "for a laugh" so now there's old meat, tea bags etc all over the place....

... the council has planted young trees all along the edges of the area, and put plastic tubing around them to protect them against the elements...... yes, that lasted a day and the neds had pulled them all down...

Breaks my heart to our country getting destroyed by mindless scumbags who's mother just couldn't keep their legs shut.

Then there's the jelousy and racial hatred.

I bought my wife a cute little sportscar last year. It was only £700, and needed a bit of work which I did, total cost about £900. But it looks great.
I took it round to the post office yesterday to send off some prints I had sold. When I came back, after only 5 minutes, someone has spat all over the windscreen! What's that all about???

But the icing on the cake for me was a few years ago. I was getting really sick of it all, so we decided to head up north with the cararvan and chill out for a while. I took my fishing gear, and dreams of catching "the big one".

All was going great. I had decided on a spot for fishing, and I setup my gear next to a remote loch near Thurso, the most Northerly point of mainland Britain. What do I see beside me? Empty crisp packets and beer cans.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:18 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
His teenage daughter rather likes it when he picks her up from school in it.
Good Vibrations
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:19 pm
Beep

Here are some of my favourites..

1969 Charger

I do like these
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:20 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's is a big difference between people who come here because they are offered a high paying job and those who long to leave the UK or in the OP's case want to come to Canada. It is rather ironic that the former just sort of end up over here with the immigration process being rather quick and painless yet for the the ones longing to come its a long protected emotional affair.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by el_richo
I thought i had a bad memory
That's not my Op

I never said I didn't have reasons for leaving, that's not what the post is about. If you try again, you will see that I was asking specifically about Canada.

I really wish folk would pay attention
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:25 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by el_richo
Good Vibrations
More to do with her image, I think. The girl may only be 15 but she's a total babe (I'm being objective, here). Getting picked up in a Cobra is not exactly damaging to the image.

I seriously fear for her first boyfriend.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:55 pm
Beep

That's not my Op

I never said I didn't have reasons for leaving, that's not what the post is about.

I really wish folk would pay attention
I didn't quote your original post anywhere. You should pay more attention

That said, you DID say people move for the wrong reasons and you obviously don't believe you are doing so. I simply quoted you from a while ago where you contradict yourself. You'll see your "rant" about how "our country (is) getting destroyed by mindless scumbags" begins with "every day I see another reason that I'd rather live somewhere else". This implies going to the dogs.

Everybody moves for the right reasons. Everybody can change their opinions and thought process. Everybody's subjective opinions and comments are always right.

If you try again, you will see that I was asking specifically about Canada.
Sorry, i didn't see a question in there. Can you point me in the right direction so i can try again?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Nah, you don't get what I'm saying so lets just admit defeat.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:21 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
I think there's is a big difference between people who come here because they are offered a high paying job and those who long to leave the UK or in the OP's case want to come to Canada. It is rather ironic that the former just sort of end up over here with the immigration process being rather quick and painless yet for the the ones longing to come its a long protected emotional affair.
What are you still doing in this thread? I thought you were on the ignore list, or did you get a pardon for being a good boy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.