Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:00 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

I thought I had escaped cheap dog food when I came to Canada but alas it was hiding in Canadian tyre all along.

I wish some one had told me this at the start of the process.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:01 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I love these threads.
I don't know how people can get so involved whilst the season finale of Boardwalk Empire is on. If I take my eyes of the TV for 30 seconds I lose the plot.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa

Ok, put it this way, from reading some of your, and others like you, posts, you don't have many nice things to say about Canada.
I have a great deal of nice things to say about Canada, but right now I can't think of any, except that I've made a of of money here. On the downside the booze and smokes are expensive, so it all balances out.

Do you not have nice hot summers where you live?
Are Barbeques not real?
Is Tim Hortons shutting down?
Are there no muscle cars in North America, was someone lying?
1) No. We have stupidly hot and humid summers. But I go go France to avoid the worst of it.

2) Real but hardly worth emigrating for. I think the idea has spread worldwide.

3) Not that I've heard, but it would be welcome news. I recommend the Honey Mustard Dressing.

4) Essentially no. There used to be, but even in Canada folk who drive them today are routinely spat upon.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:21 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot say that anyone else's reasons for emigrating are wrong - their reasons are specific to them and only they can know what matters to them, what gets their goat and what makes them feel happy and fulfilled in their lives and careers.

It is true that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, though.

If the reasons were wrong for that person, then they will probably be unhappy in Canada and find nothing good to say about it.

If their reasons were good ones for them, then they will be happy here.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:22 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

(In reply to Novo)

Wow, you really are quite bitter.

You can stop now, I understand.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

I came over here because I could. For me, it was simply another place to move to, it could have been Norfolk for example. No, very rare to see muscle cars around here, barbies happe in the same way they do around the world, there are seasons which I like. Never go into Tim Hotons but then I never went into Starbucks or similar in the UK. Canadian Tire have some good discounts. I don't like having to pay HST on second, third, fourth etc hand goods. I like living here, I like my furnace and wood burning stove and my few acres. To sum up, I never felt I was escaping or necessarily emigrating as I still have property in the UK, it is simply somewhere different to live. Oh by the way, Oink is very, very funny and I admire his humour greatly.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

(In reply to Novo)

Wow, you really are quite bitter.

You can stop now, I understand.
To whom was that directed? I see no trace of bitterness in helcat's post or my own.

Ah. an edit. Why do think I'm bitter and what do you think I'm bitter about?

I'm quite at a loss to figure out what you mean.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
You cannot say that anyone else's reasons for emigrating are wrong - their reasons are specific to them and only they can know what matters to them, what gets their goat and what makes them feel happy and fulfilled in their lives and careers.

If the reasons were wrong for that person, then they will probably be unhappy in Canada and find nothing good to say about it.

To take individual cases and extrapolate and generalize to the wider population, with no sense of irony or exception, is what makes these types threads so brilliant.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by helcat12

Thanks for a mature reply.

I'm not saying that their reason for emigrating is wrong, I'm saying that not everyone is emigrating to canada because they like Canada, they are going because they don't like where they currently live, and it may as well be Australia or USA.

So if those problems are not resolved when they get to Canada, then they will blame Canada instead of themselves for not fixing whatever it was that led them to emigrate in the first place.

This is not some third world country where our lives are at risk every day. The UK is one of the safest places in the world to live, and I think most problems can be resolved without resorting to immigration.

What I'm saying is, if you choose a new country based on perceived positives over your own county's negatives, you're going to be disapointed.

But if you move to a country, fully aware of what it has to offer, good and bad, you are far more likely to have a successful journey.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:43 am
Dive Bar Drunk

But if you move to a country, fully aware of what it has to offer, good and bad, you are far more likely to have a successful journey.
How can you be fully aware if you've never lived there?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JamesM
How can you be fully aware if you've never lived there?
Ahh, you got me. You win.

I'm off to bed then.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:53 am
Born again atheist

I'm off to bed then.
Wake up sober.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:56 am
Dive Bar Drunk

I'm off to bed then.
<Gets his pen out and marks another victory in the "win" column>
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:33 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JamesM
<Gets his pen out and marks another victory in the "win" column>
Unlike the Lilywhites. (Or the Toon) Doomed I sez.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:36 am
Account Closed

You buggers!

That's not fair, you have 5 hours on me!

I'm reading someone's Canada blog at the moment, so should keep me going for another few hours.

Drinking instant Nescafe Espresso (reminds me of Timmies) out of a cheap "Canada" mug I bought from a dollarama store. Should keep me awake.

Can't let you haters get one over on me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.